Galaxy S7 Nougat update for Telus??

joaosax
Resident

Hello,

I have been to Samsung's websited and confirmed the Nougat update is out for Galaxy S7 phones. WHY is it taking so long for Telus to release it for their clients? I will definetly consider this next time I think about buying a locked phone with them. I guess buying unlocked is the way to go from here. 

Regards,

A pissed off costumer.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Only Samsung's American website says it's released there. Samsung Canada has no announcements on releases yet. This isn't on Telus. For many years Samsung has had the reputation of being one of the worst companies for releasing updates. Averaging 6-9 months behind Google. If you want updates faster, avoid Samsung.

Techjunkie
Advisor

As stated above, it's on Samsung, not Telus. You will note that none of the Canadian carriers have it yet. Once Samsung Canada decides to release it to the carriers, which could be months knowing Samsung, then Telus can provide a release date.

That's why I turfed Samsung (well ok, this and the fact that my Note 7 could have burned my house down) and got a Pixel XL. Fast updates and no Samsung bloatware.

joaosax
Resident

Ok thank you for the clarification. I guess it's not Telus fault then..

Google Pixel phone, here i go!

Techjunkie
Advisor

I love my Pixel XL. Stock android is fast, the camera rivals the S7E/Note 7 for quality, and you get the monthly security updates. You can also opt to test the 7.1.2 beta if you like. I'm running it now, and it's stable.

NIABOC
Connector
why do you want it so bad ?
jaystwin
Neighbour

I've had several Galaxy phones: the Galaxy S, Note 2, Note 4, and S7. I bought a Google Pixel and used it for a week before giving it to my daughter and buying the S7 for myself. It's true that Samsung is slower than Google in releasing updates, but they do eventually come. And really, though the Pixel is a great phone, snappy, good camera, fantastic fingerprint unlock speed, and you get Android updates in a hurry, it is at the end of the day a boring phone compared to the S7 (IMHO). The bells and whistles on the S7, and on all high-end Galaxy models, make them a lot more fun to use and personalize. For me, that makes it worth it to wait for Samsung to get around to releasing Android OS updates. 

AliM
Resident

This is not about Samsung!
Late update release in Canada is caused by Providers, please provide people correct information.

Samsung announced that OS update on their phone will be faster, and they have done it this year for Galaxy S7, but Canada is still slow because of carriers. this is not just a guess! here is the link from Telus:

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Neighbourhood-Blog/Software-Update-Life-Cycle/ba-p/53596