cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call forwarding charges on apple watch cellular when no phone present

DanS1970
Just Moved In

Hello.  Wondering how this is billed.  If i have a share plan that does not include call forwarding, and I also have an apple watch cellular, will I be charged for call forwarding when I receive calls on the apple watch without a phone present.   

Technically the phone does forward the calls to the watch to place the call as the watch has a secondary phone number.  

20 REPLIES 20

DanS1970
Just Moved In

Just to continue ... I know its pretty rare to be out of the home without a phone, but in theory the watch cellular makes that viable.  By bolting the watch onto the phone, one would expect to be able to pick up calls to the phone on the watch without incurring extra charges - but I think with how its set up technically to be routed as a call forward, it would trigger a call forward charge each time, wouldn't it?

there is no charge for phone calls on your watch. I do it all the time

I was just told that using my galaxy watch will cost 50 cents a minute because of call forwarding. Is the Galaxy Watch different than the Apple Watch? 

TPS07
Just Moved In

I'm under a business plan from the group deal. Maybe that's why?

Can0n
Neighbour

i got billed for making a call with my cellular watch... 4min = $2

I’d suggest you call support and ask for billing correction. I had that issue back in February for a couple of months and they’ve fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone

yep technical issue around the time i made that call they credited it so all good now

I just contacted support about this issue and their response is offering $5 call forward add on to m, more specifically, they said Apple Watch must go through call forward to receive phone call. Then I try to avoid this fee by letting others call Watch number directly, which turns out that the Watch number cannot be reached directly. So the conclusion is the $10 Apple Watch fee is only used for calling number outwards, I am thinking about using it as pagers now…

speaking with tech they found the forwarding from number assigned to watch to phones number was a bug and its resolved so got a credit

Clonrie
Organizer

Just got the Apple Watch yesterday and setup the cellular plan. I'm on the Telus EPP $50 Peace of mind 20GB plan. The purpose of the watch is so I can go places without my phone. However, all calls are billed at $0.50 per minute (can see this in usage) when my cell phone is not present. Anyone get this working correctly? 

andirons
Friendly Neighbour

I had the same issue...was being charged $0.50 per minute for calls on my Apple Watch.  I called support and they reversed the charges and put a "fix" in place to prevent it from happening again.  I suspect that the watch was being added as a regular data device and not a watch with a special billing profile (or special relationship with the primary line). 

In any case, it's resolved after a quick call to support.  Excellent service.  

andirons
Friendly Neighbour
Ok, scratch that. Next bill came and I have charges for calls on my watch again. Is there a rep here am that can advise on what I need to ask for to get this resolved permanently?

Yeah same, last year I call them, solved and get credit as reimbursement. However it does not means my further bill will waver this charge, until now this issue has accumulated more than $60 extra new charges for me. Feels like call them for a refund will be a biannually event…

tony6
Just Moved In

I called about call forward charges to apple watch yesterday.  After 2 hours on hold the rep didn't know much about this problem and first told me I was setup on the wrong plan, then said it was the right plan but this is  a known issue and they credited the approx. $50.  Doesn't seem like anything is changed and the only solution is to wait the ridiculous long time to get a credit.  I wonder what Rogers and Bell do? 

I’m getting these charges as well which seems ridiculous for the $10 “One Number Unlimited Access” add on. 50 cents per minute is an outrage fee as well, I’ll update with what support says tomorrow.

LylaGill
Just Moved In

I looked for this on various websites including youtube and solved it using to disable phone calls on your Apple Watch. However, there are ways to silence notifications so you won't be alerted by sounds or vibrations:-

Here's how to silence phone call notifications on Apple Watch:-

1. Open the Watch app on your iPhone.
2. Go to the "My Watch" tab.
3. Select "Phone".
4. Choose "Custom" instead of "Mirror iPhone".
5. Under "Alerts" turn off "Sounds" and "Haptic".
6. Under "Ringtone" again turn off "Sounds" and "Haptic".
With these settings, you'll still see a notification on your watch screen for incoming calls, but your watch won't make any noise or vibrate.

Additional Tips:-

• You can also turn off notifications entirely by choosing "Notifications Off" at the top of the "Phone" settings in the Watch app. However, this will prevent you from seeing any notification for incoming calls.
  • If you only want to silence calls during certain times, you can enable Do Not Disturb mode on your Apple Watch. Swipe up from the watch face to access Control Center, then tap the crescent moon icon.

More instruction below. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LviR91he-3I&ab_channel=TheGeekPage

This isn’t solving it Lyla, this is just a way to avoid a feature you’re paying for.
For a real attempt at solving it, Telus has made another change to my account to resolve this 6 weeks ago, I have yet to receive another charge. My watch has also always lived with notifications turned off but I intend to receive calls on it like I’m paying for.

If you're going to do that, no sense in having the $10 plan. That's the purpose of the plan, to accept calls on the watch even when the phone isn't with you.

Clonrie
Organizer

This was eventually resolved for me after hours and hours on the phone. Fast forward to yesterday when I ordered a new phone. The plan was updated and now the charges are back. Any time I accept a call on the watch without the phone present, I'm charged $0.50 for the call and $0.50 long distance (call was local) per minute. 45 minutes on the phone got the charge credited and the promise someone would look into it. Monday, I'm going to attempt to cancel the order for the new phone and then I'm going to Rogers or Bell where I can actually use my apple watch as designed.

It is incredibly annoying, I can’t figure out why they can’t figure out a permanent fix for this. It seems ungodly simple.