cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent ipv6 connectivity after upgrading to fiber in North Vancouver

RR923
Organizer

I just upgraded to fiber from DSL and got swapped to a T3200m modem as well. I am still getting an ipv6 address (real 2001:569:...)however, routing of ipv6 is no longer working. Windows responds "Destination net unreachable" when trying to ping any valid ipv6 address. I am able to ping the link local and ipv6 address of the T3200m. On the T3200m, using the ipv6 ping test page, all internet addresses are timing out as well which leads me to believe there's an issue in the core network. I've rebooted both the ONT (Nokia) and T3200m but the same problem persists.

Ipv6 was working fine on DSL, and it has intermittently worked in the 36 hours or so that I've had fiber but it seems more down than up. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Any next troubleshooting steps?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello

As an update, I have spoken to our network team and there is indeed a vendor specific difference of opinion in how the RFC is handled to maintain an IPv6 default route. Without getting into specifics, the Actiontec T3200M drops the route after 90 minutes in certain areas of North Van. There is a firmware update scheduled in the next 6 months to resolve this, unfortunately I do not have a specific date.

Workaround: Replace the Actiontec T3200M with Actiontec T1200H. This will not drop the IPv6 route.

Caveat: This older Actiontec gateway has slower WIFI and uses HPNA over Ethernet, not MOCA like the current 3200M does. If you have TV services using the coax cable in your house, this solution will break the TV aspect of the service.

If this works for you and are ok with the caveats, please reach out to the support team via the chat and mention this post. We will send out a  gateway pro bono to you by mail or by technician depending on availabilities. The agent can reach out to me specifically if they need clarification. They will check the network to see if you would be impacted and advise accordingly.

Updates are pushed to the gateways either via schedule or when a factory reset is performed so without a specific date known, would recommend a manual firmware update from time to time to see if a new one has been released. 

If you have any success with this workaround, please post an update here.

Jordan

View solution in original post

56 REPLIES 56

Hello

As an update, I have spoken to our network team and there is indeed a vendor specific difference of opinion in how the RFC is handled to maintain an IPv6 default route. Without getting into specifics, the Actiontec T3200M drops the route after 90 minutes in certain areas of North Van. There is a firmware update scheduled in the next 6 months to resolve this, unfortunately I do not have a specific date.

Workaround: Replace the Actiontec T3200M with Actiontec T1200H. This will not drop the IPv6 route.

Caveat: This older Actiontec gateway has slower WIFI and uses HPNA over Ethernet, not MOCA like the current 3200M does. If you have TV services using the coax cable in your house, this solution will break the TV aspect of the service.

If this works for you and are ok with the caveats, please reach out to the support team via the chat and mention this post. We will send out a  gateway pro bono to you by mail or by technician depending on availabilities. The agent can reach out to me specifically if they need clarification. They will check the network to see if you would be impacted and advise accordingly.

Updates are pushed to the gateways either via schedule or when a factory reset is performed so without a specific date known, would recommend a manual firmware update from time to time to see if a new one has been released. 

If you have any success with this workaround, please post an update here.

Jordan

Thanks for all of your help looking into this issue and finding a work around. I had a quick question about getting the older Actiontec T1200H router. Will we be able to keep the newer Actiontec T3200M so that we can switch back when the new firmware is finally pushed out?

Also since this seems to be rectified by swapping to another router I was wondering if swapping over to a SFP install would also potentially resolve this as well? A few customers have managed some how to get a SFP installed into the action net router and then directly plugging the SFP into their own router, bypassing the T3200M router. Just curious.

Once again thanks!

Yes, you will have an extra gateway device for free.

Not aware of the SFP part, no clue if that works. All I can tell you is the 1200H at this time is a known good.

Jordan

I actually had the tech support plus guy tell me to just not worry about it as there’s no benefit to using ipv6. Ummmmmm? Really?!

So we just wait and the issue will get resolved on its own. Ok.

Hey guys

Did anyone speak to tech support about this workaround? Curious to know if it changed anything for you.

Jordan

Hi Jordan,

Sorry I did not respond but I have been out of town and just got back recently. I just contacted the support rep that helped me initially that I belive you spoke to. I havent heard back yet but hopefully soon, if not I will open a chat session and see if a tech support rep through there can help send out a actionnet modem.

I will update once I have tried it out or if there is something to update on.

Yes this seems to be a common issue, the tech support reps dont seem to have the training to deal with it. In my case I had a more professional response and they forwarded it to the back office to look into. Unfortunately they came back and said that IPV6 wasn't supported and is a beta type thing, which isn't true.

This is something Telus needs to work on. With that said I think it was NFtoBC that recommend contacting support through twitter and to be honest that was where I got some traction on this issue so I do recommend using that avenue if you are having issues.

A quick update. Had a tech come in the morning and install the older modem as a worm around. It has been up for a few hours now and ipv6-test.com still hade the ipv6 test pass so seems to be working. I will update if I notice otherwise.

In regards to the short comings of this modem I was thinking could I set the newer modem in bridge mode and then connect it to the old modem to get mocha and stronger wifi to work? Will try it out later tonight if I get a chance to.

Thanks

Not sure if it will work to be honest, it means there would be two prefixes pushed to a single access. Not sure if there were limits in delegation on a per connection basis. No harm in trying tho. 

Jordan

Spent a few minutes trying it out and it didn't work. Outside of that the only issue I had was a laptop that I had connected to wifi for some reason was failing the IPV6 test while my phone was not. Once the laptop was restarted everything worked fine. Not sure if there is some other issue here but outside of that incident everything seems to be working.

Hey Jordan/all,

I can confirm the T1200 works and holds the routes past 90 minutes.  I'm just over 24 hours of continuous working IPv6, so no route dropping here, in Surrey.

I have a bit of a unique setup that I won't mention here in order to keep this from getting complicated, but the T1200 works very well for IPv6, and with some modification to the IPv6 firewall rules that are on the router, I was able to get a 20/20 score, consistently, on ipv6-test.com.  Before modifying the FW rules, I was getting 18/20.

Now, hopefully soon, both the Juniper RE's and T3200 firmwares are released and updated on the TELUS side so that we don't need these workarounds 😉 .

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Perfect, thanks for the update. I will share this with our network teams internally.

Jordan

Any updates on this issue?  Still doesn't appear to be a firmware update.  

If could be upto six months wait so around June.

Any update on this? IPv6 still seems to be broken in my area of North Vancouver.

ctech
Friendly Neighbour

I live in Surrey and have the same issues described here, i.e. ipv6 not working after 30-90 minutes after reboot. It's now nearly Oct 2019. Any update on a fix for this ipv6 issue?

Hi,

So not sure about Surrey but in North Vancouver apparently the issue was due to a combination of some back end hardware and the ActionTek t3200m.

With the older modem there was no issue but this was a work around as it has weaker WiFi and also some incompatibility with the TV that required additional hardware.

With that said the problem was not resolved as of a few weeks ago so I followed up with the support rep I had been talking to and he went ahead and scheduled a swap of the modem to a newer modem that apparently isn't available everywhere. Not sure what its called although the rep that swapped it out called it a Diaper Genie as that's what it looks like lol. Long story short I have not had issues since the swap.

Maybe get support to upgrade your modem?

See my reply to the post below this.

jag_rana, thanks for information.

Although it was working for the longest time looks like there is a new problem, maybe its just local to me. Once I switched over to the new router everything was fine but now it seems the router does not get a IPV6 address at all. All of my devices have a local IPV6 address but the router itself does not. 

I confirmed using whatismyip.com, ipv6test and looking at the routers network connection page which showed only a IPV4 address. I have tried reseting the router and power cycling the ONT and the router. No luck.

@Jordan_Labelle any idea if there is a new issue? Hopefully this can get resolved soon.

Looks like its working again. I really wish Telus would be more consistent with its IPV6 implementation. Seems to be a after thought at the moment.