cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is there no Unlimited Data option for the Telus Smart Hub?

ThunderX
Just Moved In

I recently moved out west after spending 24 years in Ontario. Currently I'm spending time with family out in the rural areas of Parkland County, and as a result the only viable internet option was the Telus Smart Hub. 

Whilst I'm satisfied with the speeds we are getting, I am very disappointed to see that there is no unlimited data option. 

Why is it limited to only 500GB a month? Especially when nearby competitors are offering Unlimited options for cheaper? I am someone who enjoys gaming and live-streaming, and would love to see an Unlimited package so I could comfortably game/stream without being in constant worry of going over the monthly bandwidth.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I didn't realize any other competitors were offering cellular-based Internet connectivity with unlimited bandwidth. I sure can't get anything similar for my cellular data connection.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Companies like CCI and Xplornet's top packages include Unlimited Data.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@ThunderX wrote:

Companies like CCI and Xplornet's top packages include Unlimited Data.

Both of which are WISP / Satellite ISP. Xplornet has a 100 GB cap for their satellite service, for those not in their WISP footprint. Until 5G cellular becomes available, I can't see high bandwidth / high volume plans on cellular.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

CCI and Xplornet may offer unlimited data but their download and upload speeds are a joke. You would not be able to stream with either of them as the upload speed caps out at only 1-2mbps. Download speeds are 15mbps if you're lucky. Their sales staff promise all sorts of things when it comes to speeds but it is extremely unlikely you will come anywhere close. Telus smart hubs are the fastest option but since they are billed as a Mobility product they have data caps mostly due to the fact that providing high speed data over LTE is more expensive than the landline infrastructure and there is a limit to how many smart hubs can be activated on a single tower at the same time.

BillTelusCust
Rockstar

Although unlimited is nice, you can do a considerable amount of streaming on 500 gigs.  Our usage is usually below that and my wife in particular does a lot of streaming.  Although this is on Shaw, the fact remains that under 500 gigs is the norm.

k2spirit839
Coach

They have upped there data package now to 1TB FYI!

I just got a telus hub. Speeds are awesome but I can already see I am going to exceed 1TB. I may have to return the hub as we will need unlimited. We have a smart home with 30 devices plus streaming live tv plus work Skype meetings.

Yeah. understandable, the smart hub isn’t for everyone! Unfortunately for some of us it is the only option available.