Why is TELUS not addressing the issue the migration to Google's webmail has caused with POP3?

Highlighted
Resident

PCherian

Thank you so much for all your replies.  You rescued my efforts with migration in permitting me to use my old Outlook file from Microsoft Office 2019 that has 10 plus years of mail stored in it. 

So the question is, will it ever be possible to delete the Telus mail that went to G Mail during the migration?  Yes it sits there and I have used almost 75% of the maximum storage space.  I hate that this mail is on Goggle and I don't trust them one bit. 

I use Firetrust Mailwasher Pro to retreive my mail and from there I can filter what I want to read before opening Microsoft Outlook. 

Appreciate all your fine comments.  I printed the Instruction list out for safe keeping.

Highlighted
Resident

Telus seems to be withdrawing support for the SMTP POP incoming mail server. With the SMTP server, emails that you download to outlook are deleted from the server as they are downloaded. The IMAP server would keep the emails on the server so that they have to be manually deleted using a web access application such as Telus Web mail. Yes, Telus says we will be able to continue using Outlook, but not with SMTP.  I suppose the idea is that users may wish to be able to access all emails via multiple computers.  

This makes using a mail program such as outlook very clumsy and potentially rather tedious.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

SMTP is the outgoing mail server.

POP and IMAP are incoming mail servers.

Your use of the terms in your post makes it difficult to understand. Properly set up IMAP services will delete messages from the server from any device you use to connect to the servers there is no need to use Telus Webmail to complete this task - it is managed through the IMAP protocol.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Connector

@TeligaTed 

I have tried repeatedly to reply to your email, on 2 different computers, and the reply keeps being rejected.  I remember PCherian  had trouble trying to post a list of steps and had to send it in pieces.  So, if there is some kind of limit I will try sending parts separate posts.  Here goes..

“Telus says we will be able to continue using Outlook, but not with SMTP”

I am totally confused by your post, and I’m also wondering who at Telus made the above statement and exactly what it means. Hopefully you didn’t mean that Telus and Gmail were perhaps not going to continue supporting/providing POP mail?

Following a recent migration I set up Telus email, through Gmail POP mail, following the instructions posted by PCherian.  For my main computer the procedure and outcome was completely successful.  However….

I have occasionally for an extended period had to use a backup computer, to where I copy the current pst file (Outlook 2010), and have in the past been able to carry on Receiving and Sending Telus email to the same file.  But, with Gmail, while I can now Send successfully, I have not been successful in Receiving mail to this backup computer – pop.google.com will not recognize my username/password.  I have not yet contacted Telus Tech.  Since I’ve selected to ‘save mail on the server until deleted”, it’s not a big concern right now.

Contrary to your post, POP mail will, if you select it, retain copies of your Incoming emails on the server for as long as you state.

Highlighted
Connector

@TeligaTed 

continued reply...

For anyone who doesn’t normally check web mail before downloading to an app. I‘d strongly suggest you do, as Gmail does not function as simply as Telus web mail.  It’s very important that you see what is happening with your emails at Gmail with your POP account.

Gmail has a lot of confusing settings and if not configured the way you want, will add copies of your incoming mail to what they call labels.  There seems no way to turn these off.  You have to train the algorithm as to what should not have extra labels attached to them, by removing them. It seems the easiest way is to delete the label attached to the beginning of the email.   The algorithm is a slow learner.

Also, unlike the Telus server, Gmail server retains copies of the mail Sent from your Outlook app. which POP mail is not usually supposed to do.  So, you will also have to delete these emails if desired in Gmail.  Anything that you delete inside Gmail apparently will be automatically deleted in 30 days, but there is no similar message for any other location of email (i.e. Gmail labels like updates etc.)

I used Telus web mail to screen/delete mails only, before downloading to Outlook, so while I am still at the “trial and error” stage, to prevent Gmail from redirecting some incoming mail to its own labels (and not showing in ‘Inbox’) I have had to set Inbox as Default in ‘Settings’. 

Highlighted
Neighbour

PCherian,

Thank you for posting and providing some good information.

I know I'm not alone in having considerable disdain for the way Telus has thrust, yet again, some form of change that has created frustration and hardship on many of its customers without a hint of ownership or solution. Personally, I have about 10hrs with 2.5hrs on the phone with Telus. No Joy!

Did some different searching and wound up here. That prompted some other digging.

For those that stumble upon this, I offer: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?authuser=1&hl=en&authuser=1&visit_id=6373197802910469... as a compliment to what may have already been offered here.

Between the above link and PCherian’s post(s), I am up and running as before.

I do not like the idea of my mail being in the possession of others. To that end, I receive my mail on other devices but my PC is main repository. Once there, it is purged from the mail server. I encourage anyone to do the same.

In closing, if you or others are concerned that Telus has moved possession of your information from Canada to the United States. I encourage a complaint the CRTC. Only with enough complaints will they have to take action. It’s clear to me that as Telus is incapable of taking ownership, complaining to Telus will be on deaf ears.

Cheers,   

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

You do realize Telus has been using Dell for email services for quite some time? Telus has not operated their own mail servers in years. They are migrating to Gmail because Dell caused that huge email outage last year. If you recall Dell is also an American company.

Also do realize that the CRTC only deals with extremely specific things. Internet is not one of them. The CCTS does deal with specific aspects for internet but in this instance they have no ability to do anything. They can't tell an internet provider what services, servers or businesses they can utilize as part of their service.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Neighbour

Nighthawk,

I do now. Thanks for setting me straight. My frustration over the lack of support form Telus spilled over.

Highlighted
Good Samaritan

@One2One,

It's not pop.google.com, it's pop.gmail.com...

Highlighted
Connector

@PCherian 

Whoops...sorry that was a typing error.  I meant pop.gmail.com.  I actually did try the other address on one of the dozens of times I've entered the all the required information to set up this new address and password as I saw it suggested on a Gmail forum somewhere.  

Highlighted
Resident

@FuzzyLogic 

With imap can you save the data file if you need to import it to a new computer as you can with POP? That’s the big reason I am finding with imap.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Hi! I don't know if you are still monitoring this thread but first, thank you for posting the POP3 set up steps for the Telus mail transition to Google / Gmail.  One question, did you delete your existing Telus POP3 account in Outlook before adding the new account settings, or after?  I am assuming you added the new account settings to connect to Gmail and then deleted the old, now defunct account.  But, if you deleted the old account settings first, please advise.  Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@CEM 

Are you referencing the posts by @PCherian ? If so, this note should catch his attention.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Ambassador

@FuzzyLogic 

I use Thunderbird as my email program on my PC. It saves all email locally on the hard drive. It mirrors what is stored in Gmail. I use the Gmail app and Google Calendar app on my iPhone. 

Highlighted
Connector

@CEM 

I’m not PCherian who posted the steps to set up POP mail in Gmail for Outlook, but I followed the steps provided.  I used the Change Tab in Outlook Account Settings to alter the existing Telus account information that needed to be changed – incoming and outgoing email addresses, new password (as required when setting up Gmail account first), and the rest of the steps as posted.  I was successful on my main laptop computer to send and receive Gmail to Outlook, but not on a backup desktop computer.  It will not accept the username and password.  Reason still unknown.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Thank you for including the steps you followed. 

That is very helpful.  Hopefully updating the account settings will work for me as well.  Luckily I am not migrating until mid-Sept so have some time to figure it out.    

However, you aren't the first person I've heard where they can not ever seem to get Outlook on laptop/desktop to connect/recognize Gmail and download successfully.  A retired Telus employee hasn't been able to do it!  Very frustrating.  Nonetheless, I really appreciate your reply.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Yes! I was hoping my question would reach @PCherian !  Thx ..

Highlighted
Connector

@RonAKA We discussed successfully using Tbird on another thread, but I have questions about IMAP mirroring. 

Using POP, I have a set of filters that run on my incoming mail and sort messages into folders.  If I want to use those filters in a new Tbird POP account, I assume I will have to create the folders in Tbird on my PC in advance of downloading any mail.  Is that right? 

Alternatively, if I create an IMAP account in Tbird and still want to apply the filters to the mail I download to my PC, will I also need to create those folders on the Google Mail server so that my actions can be mirrored?  

Sorry to shift topics here, but I wanted to catch your attention on a thread you are following. 

Highlighted
Ambassador

First off, I have never attempted to sort email based on filters in Thunderbird, so I don't know if it even has that capability. If it does then what I would expect to happen is that Thunderbird would direct your email into folders and then those changes would be mirrored to Gmail. 

Another thing to consider is that Gmail has both labels and category tabs. Labels are kind of like folders, but you can assign more than one label to a single email. A single email can reside in more than one "folder". I don't know what Thunderbird would do about that. So far, my folders in Thunderbird match those in Gmail. Categories are more like folders and it appears they are typically used to sort email by type. Again I have not tried to use them. I don't really use the PC browser version of Gmail and only use the iPhone app version of Gmail. It appears to be less capable than the browser version, and I am not even sure it supports categories. 

Based on what I have done so far, when you create folders in Thunderbird, then Gmail creates a label to match it. That is about as complex as I have gone. I assume the reverse would work too, like create a label in Gmail and have it appear as a folder in Thunderbird.

Keep in mind that when you get Googled by Telus they will create whatever folders you have in Telus WebMail as far as I know. I essentially never used Telus Webmail so I don't know for sure. I did all my email organization in Thunderbird, and prior to that in Outlook. 

Hope that helps?

Highlighted
Ambassador

@essjay1 

I just noticed your reference to a new POP3 account in Thunderbird. Based on what I read in the posts here, there are significant issues with trying to create a new POP3 account with the new Google Mail. I have only set up a new IMAP account. At one point I thought I might be able to just change my existing Telus POP3 account to a new IMAP Google account and not have to create a new account with a new set of folders. I found one reference in Thunderbird information which said that is impossible to do. I never attempted it, not did I attempt to create a new POP3 account. 

Highlighted
Good Samaritan

@CEM 

Creating a new POP3 account would be better and use the old email file to setup the new one. As an extra caution, you can copy the file to another location also. Two email accounts cannot use the same file at the same time in the same profile (you can create different profiles and keep the old account also), so I would delete the old account before creating the new account.

----------------------------------------

From my steps:

** If you're already using pop3 for telus email, make sure to locate your existing outlook data file (with extension pst). By default, it should be in "My Documents--> Outlook files" folder.

6. If you want to use "existing Outlook data file", click "Browse" and select the old .pst file (this will make sure all your old emails, custom folders, contacts and calendar are not lost). If this is your first time setting up POP3, choose "New outlook data file".

Highlighted
Good Samaritan

@CEM 

The outlook data file (with extension pst) contains everything, ie, all your emails, contacts, calendar etc. You can even open an existing pst file without creating an email account and access your emails, contacts & calendar in it. This way you can create a new POP3 account (with new data file) for Telus email by google and still keep all your old emails in a different pst file. This would be the equivalent of keeping your old account.

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/open-and-close-outlook-data-files-pst-381b776d-7511-45a0-...

SO,

1. You can keep your old account and create a fresh POP3 account for new telus email. Here you'll select the option of " new outlook data file".

2. Delete your old account and use the existing pst file to create the new account. Everything will remain the same and new emails will be arriving over your existing emails. This would be like your old account never stopped working.

3. Delete old account and use the pst file as stand alone without an account and create a fresh POP3 for new telus account.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Hi @PCherian !

Just wanted to say Thank you for your two subsequent posts and clarifications  -- Good to know there are options!  I have a path forward now.  Just hope it all works out.

Cheers -