Why is TELUS not addressing the issue the migration to Google's webmail has caused with POP3?

Highlighted
Resident

I rely POP for my email. IMAP does not suit my needs at all.

My email account was migrated to Google's webmail on May 5. While I can still send email from my Outlook client, I can no longer receive messages. Each time I speak with a Tier1 tech about the inability to receive mail on my Outlook client since that change, I am told they are aware, of the issue, and to "just try again in 2-3 days." 

The migration to Google’s platform began sometime in March according to TELUS, but here we are in mid-May and I cannot get email via their POP server on my Outlook client because apparently it STILL doesn't work, two months later. So, I can only conclude that this "try in 48-72 hours" is how agents get me off the phone/off the chat, but has absolutely no basis in terms of when the issue might actually be fixed. 

The only other option offered is to speak to Tier 2 support. For which I must pay, though that isn't usually mentioned. Not sure what they can do, will they tell me more about why it doesn't work? Whether it is a widespread issue or only experienced by some users? Will they be to fix my problem? And if all they say is sorry, no can do, how much will that cost me? Well, I can't find out what they might say because I get cut off every time I call as soon as I select the IVR option to pay for the privilege.

What is it going to take? Is TELUS is no longer interested in providing POP and just isn’t telling their customers?

Highlighted
Ambassador

Possibly this information will help:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en

I'm not on gmail so I can't confirm if these settings work with the Telus mailboxes.

Highlighted
Resident

I have never posted on a forum before, or anything else for that matter, so please bear with a very senior oldie.  I am wondering if you found a resolution to your problem.  I also use POP 3 which allows me to check Telus web mail, read and delete where desired, then download into Outlook 2010 to reply and save messages to files.  The Outlook is permanently set to offline and emails are sent and received manually, not automatically.  The settings with the Telus server allows me to save emails for a certain period of time on the server (14 days in my case) before deleting.  I don't have a cellphone, just a laptop and computer.  The Telus email is for more confidential email that I don't want left on a server anywhere, especially with Google.

Did you, or Telus, resolve the problem of not being able to receive your mail into Outlook?    I certainly don't have the ability to deal with what you have been going through so am postponing the change hoping the problem will get fixed, although I would like to get it over with.  Forum Posts would be more helpful if they had an actual date but it sounds like you posted this maybe about 6 weeks ago so I'm hoping the problem is resolved.

When you created the settings in Outlook did you chose POP 3 instead of IMAP as they instruct for the new setup, and do you usually check on web- mail first, or do you just automatically receive mail in Outlook and so there would be nothing left on the Telus server?

Any advice you can offer would be very much appreciated.  This is all very confusing for me. (so is the forum).  I Just signed up and viewed your post but same user name and p/w rejected on a different browser, so if you reply I hope I can find it.

Highlighted
Good Samaritan

POP3 settings for telus.net email powered by Gmail

POP3 settings (for Outlook 2019, should be similar for older versions). These are the settings that helped me.

** If you're already using pop3 for telus email, make sure to locate your existing outlook data file (with extension pst). By default, it should be in "My Documents--> Outlook files" folder.
** Enable "POP3" in gmail settings (webmail interface)
** Enable "Access for less secure apps" in gmail account, under Security (https://hotter.io/docs/email-accounts/secure-app-gmail)

1. Go to Control Panel, Mail, Email accounts.
2. Click "new", select " Manual setup", "Next".
3. Select "POP or IMAP", which should open the POP3 settings. Make sure "account type" is "POP3" and not IMAP.
4. Fill out all information, "user name" is your telus email.
5. Incoming mail server: POP.GMAIL.COM and "outgoing mail server: SMTP.GMAIL.COM
6. If you want to use "existing Outlook data file", click "Browse" and select the old .pst file (this will make sure all your old emails, custom folders, contacts and calendar are not lost). If this is your first time setting up POP3, choose "New outlook data file".

Continued below........

Highlighted
Good Samaritan

I'm not able to post the complete steps, I might try tomorrow. Maybe I just registered today

Highlighted
Good Samaritan

7. Now open "More settings" at the bottom right hand corner.
8. Open the second tab "Outgoing server" and enable "My outgoing server requires authentication".
9. Move on to the last tab "Advanced". Under "incoming server", enable "This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL/TLS)". The incoming port should change from "110" to "995" (in Microsoft Windows, if not change it to 995). For Apple MacOS, it might be a different port.

PS:
Please see my below posts for rest of the steps...Telus is not allowing me to post more than a couple lines at a time.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@PCherian ,

Thanks for the detail. Much appreciated.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Connector

@PCherian

I very much appreciate how much effort you have made to try to help me through this and it has made me realize why all the multi pages of information regarding the Telus conversion on their website, that I gathered and printed,  had little to do with what I wanted to achieve.  Only the part about using IMAP to set Telus webmail up in Google Mail was applicable, but the instructions for setting up for Outlook were only for IMAP, not POP and I didn’t fully understand the difference.  

Most helpful was when you mentioned connecting to the existing  pst file although your Outlook version seems to be very slightly different  in setting up tabs etc.

My Outlook currently has Outgoing mail using port 587 (It is currently set for Incoming as port 995 – not that I know anything about the significance of ports).

In reading about trouble-shooting Gmail to Outlook, it mentions passwords and it  got me confused.  I use a different password to open my Telus web mail than to open my Outlook 2010 and when Gmail is being set up it says the password has to be changed (web mail).  First of all I really don’t want to change my Telus webmail password, and I am wondering if I should also remove the password  from Outlook till the conversion is complete because it sounds like there’s a possibility of not being able to open Outlook because of the password.  Seems I could only do this by leaving a new password entry box blank as there is no option to just remove it.

I’m still trying to put some of it together so wondered if you could confirm the following for me.

Have you successfully set up Pop service between Gmail and Outlook for your Telus email?

Do you have an option in your Outlook version for saving to the Gmail server for a period of time, and do you use it?

Did you have any problems to iron out or did it work first try?

There is a lot of important stuff in my pst file that I am afraid of losing so I am trying to make sure I don’t mess this up.  It’s also my memory since I no longer have one that works very well.

Hope you don’t mind my imposing of your helpfulness a bit more.

PS - messed up my Neighborhood sign-up so had to do it again.  name 121 is now One2One

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Deleted this text.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Good Samaritan

POP3 settings (Not IMAP) for telus.net email powered by Gmail (continued from previous posts)

10. In 'Outgoing server', make sure <auto> is selected (drop down menu) as the encryption for "Use the following type of encrypted connection" and change the port to 587 from 25

11. Change the number of days for messages to be left in server (Gmail) if needed or you can opt to (un-tick) leave all messages in Gmail (web mail) also.If opting to leave all messages, make sure to open web mail periodically and delete unwanted messages or eventually you might run out of the 15GB allocated space and will stop receiving new emails with no warning in "Outlook". Click "OK", which will take you back to settings.

12. Click TEST ACCOUNT SETTINGS and make sure both tests are completed with no error messages. For previous versions of Outlook or similar third party programs, play with the security settings for each port under "Advanced" tab. If no error messages, click "Next" and "Finish". 

Some tips:

For "Advanced" tab, if the options are not the same (like select SSL only for incoming port and SSL or TLS only or both for "Outgoing port". Always make sure the Outgoing port is changed back to 587 from the default 25

Highlighted
Resident

@NFtoBC

Being new to this I don't know what your message means.  What text is deleted and who is the message being sent to.?  I received an Email referring to this subject and thought it was maybe a reply.  Please explain.  Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@121 
I've been trying without success to add some text. The message contained nothing of value, but cannot be deleted entirely.

NFtoBC
Good Samaritan

Deleted.................

Highlighted
Good Samaritan

Deleted.................

Highlighted
Good Samaritan

Deleted.................

Highlighted
Connector

I want to send a reply but it will have to wait to tomorrow night or Saturday... Just a bit of clarification re. differences in Outlook settings.  Thanks so much for all your help.  It's a great weight coming off my shoulders over worrying about this.

Highlighted
Connector

@PCherian 

I forgot to put your name on my reply so I don't know if you are notified.  On my original reply under my old user name 121 (now One2One) I did not put your name so I don't know if your were notified that I sent a reply.   I didn't reply sooner to your original post because I had messed up my registration and had to do it again under a altered name.  I am repeating what I sent on my last reply just in case you did not receive it.

I want to send a reply to your instructions but it will have to wait to tomorrow night or Saturday... Just a bit of clarification re. differences in Outlook settings.  Thanks so much for all your help.  It's a great weight coming off my shoulders over worrying about this

Highlighted
Good Samaritan

No problem...I did receive all your replies.

Highlighted
Ambassador

I'm curious as to why you don't think IMAP suits your needs? IMAP can do pretty everything POP does and more.

Instructions for setting up Outlook with Telus gmail can be found here:

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/interstitial/set-up-telus-email-on-your-computer-google

I've not migrated yet so I can't confirm the settings work but look at the SMTP settings to confirm the match what you have.

Highlighted
Good Samaritan

@FuzzyLogic,

Please stop posting this same thing over multiple threads. If you've nothing to contribute, please don't post and derail a thread. I've over 20 years experience with multiple businesses, servers etc. and started setting up emails with Netscape and Outlook express. I'm pretty sure, I know what I need and what my business clients need and why POP3 suits my clients and to other people. IMAP is the worst protocol, and even Outlook nor Gmail doesn't cope well with IMAP. please look it up. It does suits many, good for them

Highlighted
Ambassador

Ouch.

I've been working with email since it's been available. I worked with one of the 3 organizations that brought the Internet to Alberta. We quickly switched to IMAP when it became available. The only time we've used POP was on older lab equipment that didn't support IMAP. They are both robust protocols but IMAP is more flexible. Currently using Outlook with IMAP connecting with multiple services without issue.

IMAP can be configured to behave the same as POP while offering additional benefits. I was just trying to help. Sorry if your toes were stepped on.

Highlighted
Good Samaritan

@FuzzyLogic,

No Ouch needed. As noted in my previous reply, I have nothing against people using IMAP, if that suits your need. Configuring imap is not the real problem. I'm in a hurry, so few points:

1. IMAP data files are .OST. Cannot be re-used and becomes worthless if you need to re-install or change computers. PST files can be re-used with any POP3 accounts, even if you change emails.

2. Privacy: PST files can be password protected. A lot of businesses also doesn't want their email (Received and/or Sent copies) in the cloud, which can be hacked or get compromised.

3. Gmail has the worst implementation of IMAP protocol. You search for an email, it appears in three different locations creating three copies (generally). You delete an email, it's still there after a few minutes. Drives businesses crazy. Couple of days ago Telus setup one of the business with imap and the secretary, boss, employees were cursing Telus for so much trouble caused by putting IMAP.

4. With PST data file size is very manageable and you know exactly how much space the web server takes. Custom folders stay safe in local computers and doesn't take up web server space. Also, most businesses backup pst files daily (ost is useless), use multiple PST files to archive emails based on months or years or projects and which can be backed up and re-used any time. They don't want these lying in the server. (Also privacy and security). Each pst file can be password protected.

4. PST files can carry over all contacts, Calendar, custom folders, no matter you change providers or move to email account.

5. POP3 interface is clean and easy to understand.

6. Since custom folders stay locally, it doesn't count to the Gmail limit. Businesses that take care of receive more than 15GB of attachments (architecture firms etc.) In IMAP with custom folders, they'll miss many emails month over month, unless somebody creates a different PST (See) and move stuff there. Why this hazzle...if you can setup your email in POP3.

7. Local contacts or calendar are not carried over, hence useless if you've to re-install Office, some times even upgrading Office, changing OS, moving to a different PC.

6. Labels in Gmail doesn't play well with Outlook. Duplicates email all over, search or deleting becomes such a disaster.

As for why IMAP is the worst protocol amongst the four ( OAuth, exchange, POP3 & IMAP ) or even WebDav, google will have enough resources.

Just some points. It's better to maintain physical distancing, especially in this pandemic and cover our mouths with masks. Love and Peace. 😘

-----------------------------

PS: Consumers will have different reasons, but most of my points apply to them also. Also, most people, especially older folks who have only used POP for their entire lives, IMAP might be a bit complicated with all its 'All Mail, Inbox, Labels etc, why sent items show as multiple copies (I know), why deleted items are still showing up etc. etc.

Highlighted
Good Samaritan

@FuzzyLogic,

If an online customer asks for POP3 settings, I accept their decision and try to provide help. I have successfully setup IMAP and I've provided help in another thread for IMAP settings also. I also have a gmail account, which obviously is IMAP in my Outlook. It's just for all the spam mails.

With business customers, it's their decision, I'm just there to furnish multiple choices, benefits & drawbacks, whether moving (or migrating) to an exchange based email might be a better choice etc. My personal preference is Microsoft hosted emails, which supports Exchange & Exchange activesync.

Highlighted
Ambassador

I understand the issues regarding OST vs PST. Most people don't care. They just want their email to work and few understand what's really going on. If there are specific requirements certainly one protocol may be better than the other but generally if I have to choose between POP or IMAP I would use IMAP.

1. OST can be converted to PST

2. OST is relatively safe as physical access is required. If you must you could encrypt your local drive. Hacking accounts has nothing to do with IMAP or POP

3. I have yet to be converted and would prefer not to use Gmail. I may soon be cursing Gmail.

4. OST can be compressed if that's really an issue.

4. See 1.

5. Client issue. Has nothing to do with the protocol.

6. Large attachments/mailboxes are always an issue regardless of protocol. Probably my biggest headache managing email for clients.

7. Again these can be exported.

6. Again currently not  a Gmail user. Of course they don't really want you to use Outlook so no surprise their may be some issues with some of their features.

Good luck getting your POP to work. I hope you get it sorted. I didn't mean for this to be a protocol war. Use what works best for YOUR requirements.

Highlighted
Good Samaritan

@FuzzyLogic 

Your questions and my answers should be in reverse order. My explanation was meant for you for understand why businesses and common people might prefer POP3. You seem stubborn & fixated in your ideations and I recon nothing can change your mindset. Let me be clear, I'm just a computer tech, I've no preferences or bias against POP3 or Imap or any other protocol or to any technology advancements. I strive to learn about technologies and try to help others. If they need imap, I set it up for them, if it's POP3, that's it. You're being abruptive without any contribution to this thread, your only intent is to purport  your fixations upon others. I have seen you cut and paste this same thing over and over again in multiple threads. Think, what have your posts contributed to any of the conversations.

If you think i'm so naive as to never considered or done any of your explanations ( which actually doesn't even answer any of my reasons, yes they are my reasons..not questions needing an answer or explanation from you), I've nothing to say. The only valid argument that you postulate is ost can be converted to pst. I would love to see a free tool that does it properly or natively by Outlook, especially when the account is uninstalled, re-installed etc and you're left with a OST file. And any paid one's that will do it properly, without hours being spent to extract, organize and then move them to another PST file.

My job is to help others and guide them, not impose my fixations. If they want POP3, let it be...Move on.

If you need, I've explained setting up POP3 for Telus email in my previous posts. Yes I set it up for multiple clients successfully and IMAP also. I'm trying to setup IMAP & POP3 for older versions of Outlook, so that I can help more people who are stuck with old versions. Why don't you do something that will benefit others??

Peace & Love.

Highlighted
Ambassador

My apologies. I was simply suggesting that IMAP is more versatile that POP. Certainly if your customers have a specific requirement then that's what they should get.

Highlighted
Connector

@Fuzzy Logic

In the absence of providing very personal details of my life circumstances, I thought I’d explained in my original post enough to indicate why POP3 was what I wanted, and needed.  We all have different circumstances in our lives, which changes over time, so we each do what is best to meet our needs, now and for the foreseeable future.

I may have said something to mislead you that sounded like I didn’t know the difference between IMAP and POP3.  To clarify, I was referring to the procedures required in setting up POP3 in Gmail.  I do know exactly what I want to achieve, I just wasn’t sure of all the steps and entries required in setting it up correctly as I have quite limited technical knowledge.  The Telus website information provided, as I mentioned in one of my posts, is for an IMAP set-up in Outlook, and is not what I want. 

I did read your reply to TLS who made the original post.  The link you provided to Gmail support was very helpful, but I was looking for even more advice.

I thank you for taking the time and interest to reply to my post.

Highlighted
Resident

I've just "gone through" the switchover.

My Telus email account was IMAP, but using two 'accounts/one address' through Mozilla Thunderbird I had it set up for retrieving as both POP3 and IMAP... simples.

Now, going into the Telus Gmail portal as if it's webmail, I've enabled BOTH the POP and IMAP functions by selecting the tab 'Forwarding and POP/IMAP.

My PC's Thunderbird likes it... though for some reason, neither T'bird nor Gmail will accept the more secure 'OAuth2' for authentication... and I have to stay with T'bird being called insecure third-party software.

Highlighted
Resident
At the following link:

https://www.supertechcrew.com/thunderbird-oauth2-gmail/

... they claim that getting Google to accept Thunderbird's OAuth is a fairly simple trick. I don't have Thunderbird, so unfortunately I can't test it.
Highlighted
Resident

I had a similar problem - SMTP sending worked but POP downloading would not work. For what it is worth, the Outlook 2003 "test settings" passed but it gave errors every time it tried to download in real life. I waited on hold then worked with a regular Telus tech and then got upgraded to an expert tech. After extensive verification of the settings I had put in place on GMail via the browser and in Outlook he did find a solution: disable IPv6 in network settings. For whatever reason Outlook, pop.gmail.com and IPv6 were not happy to work together. With IPv6 unchecked (not enabled) my old Outlook 2003 pop/smtp email is working again.