What compensation for email outage will keep you as a Telus customer?

Highlighted
Neighbour
Who are these people that think I have to be loyal and nice to Telus? Where is Telus loyalty to me? They give stuff to new customers, what about existing ones? Nada. I have been a customer for 30 years. I pay them CASH every month. They charge a lot for there services, so yes I expect them to work. They constantly harass me by calling all the time. When they change plans they never switch me to the best deal, I have to find out there is a better package and change myself. I owe Telus the same as the give me which is nothing.
Highlighted
Rockstar

Do you have a hostile relationship with everyone whom you do business with?  I admit their phone salespeople are most often supremely annoying jerks.  Just talked to one the other day.  He was a persistent idiot. 

And there are other things about Telus which tick me off. However, they do have a robust and dependable network.  

Try to bear in mind that it was probably one person whose mistake caused this outage, and the rest of them are working hard to bring it back.

Highlighted
Resident
Mmmmm, I was only offered $10, not $20
Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

Called in again and was offered:

-$10 service credit for 6 months

-Unlimited data for 6 months

-Service bundle credits for 6 months

Even if you were already given a free month or two of free Internet service, don't hesitate to phone in to complain about Day 8 of no email service. Virtually no wait time for the loyalty dept.

Highlighted
Connector

Don't accept the insulting compensation offers. Call Telus, ask for the loyalty department, and nicely let them know how you feel. They are authorized to give you compensation in the amount of what you pay for a full month's Internet service. The loyalty folks really do seem to care about customers, contrary to Telus upper management who know their offers are outrageous and just do not care. I would like to think that Telus will have learned from this outage and plans to make serious changes to email infrastructure and processes to at least meet the best practises long known by everybody else in the industry, but their minimalistic approach to providing good customer service strongly suggests that will never happen.

Highlighted
Coach

Yes, do call. It worked out well for me. I chose "billing" from the menu options, and the CSR was great, offered an ongoing adjustment to my equipment rental. The most shocking thing to me was that the total telephone time was 14 minutes - no wait time - at peak time!! This is the first time I have ever felt that Telus valued my time (as I've heard so many times while on hold). The rep did confirm that they had extra hands on deck for the expected calls. I was so impressed that I emailed Telus to express how different this customer experience was than the usual hour-long telephone wait time...and asked them to please continue increased staffing levels at known peak times. I'm not holding my breath, though. I've asked so many times over the years, posted here about it as well. Their reputation for appalling customer service is, for me, simply the telephone wait time. The CSRs have a tough job that would likely improve a lot with the extra support, too.

To be treated so well today was a pleasant surprise. I hope others have the same experience. 

Highlighted
I was also offered $10 credit and options to take 6 free on demand movies, 20 donation to Telus foundation, or some reward points. I am telus customer over 20 years, have internet, optik tv, home phone and 2 cell phone, last year was 4 cell phones with Telus. When your bill is over $500 per month and receiving $10 credit is an insult. Telus offers deals to attract new customers but does very little to keep loyal customers. This outage may even force me to finally say good bye to my email of 20 years
Highlighted
Connector

I asked for and was given a 1 month internet credit. While I started this thread by saying anything less than 2 months would be unacceptable, I've softened a bit after hearing how much worse some people got it.

I will also be moving in the next few months so I'll use this as a further bargaining chip when deciding whether or not to stay with Telus at that time.

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour
Received the following text message this afternoon:

A Message from TELUS: Over the past 24 hours, many customers have had historical emails and contacts restored. You should be able to access your TELUS email in webmail and all other email applications, including your smartphone and tablet. We encourage you to check your TELUS email to confirm. If you are still experiencing issues, please call 310-2255 and press "2" to speak to a dedicated team for assistance. For troubleshooting visit telus.com/emailoutage

Of course, it's Telus. So my emails still have not been restored, so I'll be calling Tech Support and Loyalty again. I'll be asking for credits for TV services this time.
Coach

@BillTelusCust wrote:

Try to bear in mind that it was probably one person whose mistake caused this outage, and the rest of them are working hard to bring it back.

And who’s fault was it to subcontract the work in the first place?  

Highlighted
Resident

Its not a complimentary feature, its part of the package.  When they sell you internet service the price of the email is factored in.  Telus (or any other company for that matter) is not going to give you something for free.  If you offer a service then stand behind it and make it work in a timely manner.  One would thing that there should be a backup system in place that they should have been able to switch over to, until they fixed the original problem.  In the past email was considered best effort service, but in today's world that is no longer the case.  Times have changed and so should how the service gets implemented.  

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
In this instance, it appears a ‘backup’ would have required a complete, redundant system, run in parallel. An unlikely backup scenario.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Rockstar

That's right and this is why I use an email service which has exactly this type of scenario.  If the data center were knocked out of commission completely, it would be up in another data center in 20 minutes.  It isn't just backed up, it is replicated.

Highlighted
Resident

1 month credit per day outage, nothing less, in my case 6 days, and that's not considering any of the still missing emails that never came through. 

Highlighted
Connector

Hope I'm now posting this is the proper place (?)

Our email/webmail stopped working for approx. 10 days because of the "outage". It then was working for 6 days (to send/receive, minus any of the older messages & info stored within), then Thursday of this past week crashed once more. Thursday evening approx. 6 pm rec'd a call from a male (daftly didn't ask his name, although I'm certain he said it at the beginning) who said he was a Telus rep and was calling to advise our account would be receiving a $100 credit for the inconveniences on the October bill, plus from the 29th onward a $25.00 credit for every day it was not working thereafter. He didn't ask for any account info at all, only asked to speak to the person registered under the account (he had the name). NOW, again being without this service since Thurs, I rec'd a call Saturday from a female Telus rep who said she was calling to see how things were going, to which I replied not good, of course it's down again. She said she was from technical support and tried numerous times to reset (& have me reset) my Telus password, to no avail. Message of "invalid login" just keeps coming up. In any case I asked regarding if there are records kept of calls which Telus makes to its account holders & she said she'd have to pass the call onto the "customer care" dept. A snarly young man came onto the phone, whereby I asked the question of whether phone calls were noted or recorded when made from Telus employees, and was told "yes". I didn't say why I wanted this info, but he continued to dig for why I wanted to know this. Then after advising these 100/25 details, he stated, no there is no record of that call ever being made, and that what I've told him is seriously incorrect … we would be getting a 7.95 credit on our upcoming Sept. bill. Sorry this is so long; just want to know if anyone else experienced this call from Telus, which of course is still down.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, Telus has been making outbound calls describing the compensation offered to still-disconnected customers. You should also receive a call offering details of how to receive a reset of your account, having completed a backup of your old emails, if using a mail client on your computer.

I’ll be finalizing the steps the next day or so for my account.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

Telus offered the following compensation for me:

- 1 month free Internet service for October

- $100 service credit to be applied to October 2019 bill

- $25/day service credit from Aug 29 through Sept 3 ($150) to be applied in October

Telus had been trying to call me for the past several days. I'm pretty satisfied with the compensation to be honest.