What compensation for email outage will keep you as a Telus customer?

keenerboy
Resident

Further to the threads regarding this topic I think the offer of $10.00 off your next bill plus some free movies is pretty lame.

Perhaps for the average user just emailing friends etc this might suffice. But for a lot of customers like myself running a home based business an email outage can have significant implications. I'm still not sure what has been lost or if any of my customers have emailed me and I haven't received the email.

The only way to know is for me to be proactive and email clients to notify them I may not have received their email.  I have Telus internet, cel and TV costing about $280 per month. Due the math with 13 plus  million subscribers and annual revenue of 14 billion plus some of the highest cel phone TV and internet costs in the world a $10.00 offer falls who fully short. 

The large tel coms in Canada have a monopoly in this country mainly from regulations from the CRTC. Its time for change.

My feeling on this is one moth totally free services for TV and internet if offered would install some confidence in Telus that they do the right thing for their customers. If I have to call, complain and ask for that that wouldn't instill my confidence back as my ISP. 

SunDog
Connector

@Spinner wrote:

Asked for and received 2 months of compensation.

If and when this is resolved, I will ask for a month of free service for every day the email service has been down.

If this is true, it makes me think Telus is hoping we'll all pull a "Kramer" and accept free coffee for a year.

I'm still waiting for emails that I know for a fact were sent on August 16th and 17th and I have only just in the last couple of hours gotten the one from the 16th. It's the ones I don't know about that concern me.

Lorileeh11
Resident

I totally agree 2 months of free internet $85 x 2=$170.00

Spinner
Friendly Neighbour
I received a text message yesterday.

“Message From TELUS: We are very sorry you are still unable to access your TELUS email. Effective immediately, we are going to help make this right by giving you one month of Internet service for free, that will be automatically applied on your upcoming bill. Depending on your bill date, the free month may appear on your next bill. Visit https://telus.com/emailoutage for more information.”

TELUS is already offering 1 month free service. Asking for 2 or more months free service is completely valid. If you accept 1 month, that’s like buying a car at MSRP.

At this point, email has been down for an entire 7 days. When you talk with a Telus rep, use an example they would understand. For example, some people use email to receive notice of auxiliary/on-call work. Can you imagine how they’ve been negatively impacted?
Charlie99
Neighbour
A week now with no email. What other internet providers, other than shaw are there? Unlimited internet on higher packages would keep me, and it would cost telus almost nothing.
Janann
Connector

I agree that the offer of $10 off your next bill isn't meaningful compensation, especially considering this is the second time in 3 months customers are inconvenienced by an extended outage. I feel for business customers. I also find it troubling that some people are apparently being compensated differently than others - $10, $20, a month of free service? I don't think it's unreasonable to offer business customers a bit more compensation, but give all business customers the same credit, and give all residential customers the same credit. To do otherwise is not a good policy. 

Gadjet
Resident

So many people will "jump ship" because they can't believe that this happened to them and want to go to another provider.  Other providers have their fare share of outages as well.  But these people do this because they have no loyalty and simply want to get as much for free as they can.  They'll get their free TV or discounts for joining the other provider, and then after 90 days they'll jump back to Telus or use a different name to avoid being caught at their game, just to get another promotion.

Some want 2 months credit based on the Internet charge for this outage, but don't consider that their Internet was not out.  If they had a second email account such as a Gmail account - like most other people have for second level security - they could have weathered this outage.

Yes it was an outage, but if you take the time to call in (yes, it will take time) and talk calmly to the front line agent at Telus, they will do their best for you.  Remember, the majority of those employees are likely in the same circumstance as you are, so don't jump all over them because you think you're the only important one out there.

When you get the CCO posting on social media to apologize, you can bet Telus cares, and they want to make it right for their customers.

Give Telus the same chance as you would like to have, when (not if) you make a mistake.

BillTelusCust
Ambassador

As an internet provider, I expect them to provide robust connectivity to the internet.  I expect proper service and to have the speeds as advertised.

Although I agree that the email outage is really quite outrageous, in my world, I don't use an ISP as an email provider and have not done so for decades.

In answer to your question, if something like this happened to their internet connectivity, that would be it - but the email outage would be a non issue. I do feel for those affected, but it is quite simply not a consideration as far as I'm concerned.  The only Telus internet I'm associated with, although business DSL, is pretty robust and steady.  The problems have been very minimal over the years.

BillTelusCust
Ambassador

It is offered but not on the list of ISP services I need or use, so it is truly a non-issue.

Chicnstu
Ambassador

Please remember to be polite to the phone agent on the other end if you are discussing compensation for this outage. I worked in a call centre many years ago and I remember when we would have big outages that impacted customers like this. If you call in and are nice and polite, most agents will be very willing to work with you and will offer compensation as much as they are allowed to at their level. If you feel it's not enough, ask to speak to an escalations manager. If you come in guns blazing with threats of cancellations and yell at the agent just because they are "the voice of Telus", it's very easy to immediately stop caring to help you and do the bare minimum to get them off the phone. The people on the other end are humans too. 

Charlie99
Neighbour
Who are these people that think I have to be loyal and nice to Telus? Where is Telus loyalty to me? They give stuff to new customers, what about existing ones? Nada. I have been a customer for 30 years. I pay them CASH every month. They charge a lot for there services, so yes I expect them to work. They constantly harass me by calling all the time. When they change plans they never switch me to the best deal, I have to find out there is a better package and change myself. I owe Telus the same as the give me which is nothing.
BillTelusCust
Ambassador

Do you have a hostile relationship with everyone whom you do business with?  I admit their phone salespeople are most often supremely annoying jerks.  Just talked to one the other day.  He was a persistent idiot. 

And there are other things about Telus which tick me off. However, they do have a robust and dependable network.  

Try to bear in mind that it was probably one person whose mistake caused this outage, and the rest of them are working hard to bring it back.

Ux4it
Resident
Mmmmm, I was only offered $10, not $20
Spinner
Friendly Neighbour

Called in again and was offered:

-$10 service credit for 6 months

-Unlimited data for 6 months

-Service bundle credits for 6 months

Even if you were already given a free month or two of free Internet service, don't hesitate to phone in to complain about Day 8 of no email service. Virtually no wait time for the loyalty dept.

ennjeoajat
Connector

Don't accept the insulting compensation offers. Call Telus, ask for the loyalty department, and nicely let them know how you feel. They are authorized to give you compensation in the amount of what you pay for a full month's Internet service. The loyalty folks really do seem to care about customers, contrary to Telus upper management who know their offers are outrageous and just do not care. I would like to think that Telus will have learned from this outage and plans to make serious changes to email infrastructure and processes to at least meet the best practises long known by everybody else in the industry, but their minimalistic approach to providing good customer service strongly suggests that will never happen.

Janann
Connector

Yes, do call. It worked out well for me. I chose "billing" from the menu options, and the CSR was great, offered an ongoing adjustment to my equipment rental. The most shocking thing to me was that the total telephone time was 14 minutes - no wait time - at peak time!! This is the first time I have ever felt that Telus valued my time (as I've heard so many times while on hold). The rep did confirm that they had extra hands on deck for the expected calls. I was so impressed that I emailed Telus to express how different this customer experience was than the usual hour-long telephone wait time...and asked them to please continue increased staffing levels at known peak times. I'm not holding my breath, though. I've asked so many times over the years, posted here about it as well. Their reputation for appalling customer service is, for me, simply the telephone wait time. The CSRs have a tough job that would likely improve a lot with the extra support, too.

To be treated so well today was a pleasant surprise. I hope others have the same experience. 

Highlighted
Telusloyalfrustratedcustomer
Resident
I was also offered $10 credit and options to take 6 free on demand movies, 20 donation to Telus foundation, or some reward points. I am telus customer over 20 years, have internet, optik tv, home phone and 2 cell phone, last year was 4 cell phones with Telus. When your bill is over $500 per month and receiving $10 credit is an insult. Telus offers deals to attract new customers but does very little to keep loyal customers. This outage may even force me to finally say good bye to my email of 20 years
SunDog
Connector

I asked for and was given a 1 month internet credit. While I started this thread by saying anything less than 2 months would be unacceptable, I've softened a bit after hearing how much worse some people got it.

I will also be moving in the next few months so I'll use this as a further bargaining chip when deciding whether or not to stay with Telus at that time.

Spinner
Friendly Neighbour
Received the following text message this afternoon:

A Message from TELUS: Over the past 24 hours, many customers have had historical emails and contacts restored. You should be able to access your TELUS email in webmail and all other email applications, including your smartphone and tablet. We encourage you to check your TELUS email to confirm. If you are still experiencing issues, please call 310-2255 and press "2" to speak to a dedicated team for assistance. For troubleshooting visit telus.com/emailoutage

Of course, it's Telus. So my emails still have not been restored, so I'll be calling Tech Support and Loyalty again. I'll be asking for credits for TV services this time.
LostinVancouver
Coach

@BillTelusCust wrote:

Try to bear in mind that it was probably one person whose mistake caused this outage, and the rest of them are working hard to bring it back.

And who’s fault was it to subcontract the work in the first place?