Webmail/Telus email is currently down.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, this matter should be now resolved. If it's still no working, please try to power your device off/on for 10 seconds. 

MrE
Advocate

@ET 

Thanks, yes the certificate problem seems to be gone. Do you know if there anyone looking into the long standing intermittent problems from the POP3 server?

(failed logon, unable to reach LAPD server, timeout  etc. ?)

Community Manager
Community Manager

We sure are looking to fix matter. Our teams have been working really hard to fix emails since it started. We really hope this will be fully resolved soon. 

Freeman99
Connector

It's not fixed. I am still receiving expired certificate popup warning. I'm using eM Client for email. I tried your turn off/on 10 seconds suggestion. Help?

Susieb56
Helpful Neighbour
Last week after 35 minutes of failure to correct the rep tells me to wait 2 more days for a tech to call....it has been 5. Now on the search for new provider for phone, internet and cable.

ulysses
Coach

@ET wrote:

We sure are looking to fix matter. Our teams have been working really hard to fix emails since it started. We really hope this will be fully resolved soon. 

Given the sorry and lengthy history of this outage, the above sounds far more like wishful thinking than reality.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Susieb56 , I'm sorry to hear that you're looking to change carriers. Let me know if there's anything I can help out with? Feel free to send me a private message is required. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Susieb56 , I'm sorry to hear that you're looking to change carriers. Let me know if there's anything I can help out with? Feel free to send me a private message is required. 

Susieb56
Helpful Neighbour
I just would like it fixed. We are getting so tired of waiting for a resolution to the problem.

DLD
Neighbour

My e-mail just started working a couple of days ago. However, it is very slow. Will this issue be addressed?

Also, my webmail is still not working properly: i.e. Lots of error messages when I click on a folder or a message, messages that would normally go to my Inbox are in Junk and the message that I had left in my inbox regarding 1 month free service due to the outage has disappeared. 

Now almost 1 month since the outage started [Aug 15th]. What is the expected time that all issues will be resolved?

BB_EE
Resident

It is NOT resolved.

Polycarp
Resident

I fixed the security certificate problem on my computers by changing Connection Security in Thunderbird from STARTTLS to SSL/TLS. Hope this helps someone.

Freeman99
Connector

email working again. Certificate popup gone.

MrE
Advocate

Yet again this morning the POP3 server continues to respond "Internal server error to every 5th or 6th login attempt. Obviously Telus does not care. They promised me a call back from tech support on the issue early this morning. Guess what... no call.

Does Shaw have any good deals for internet and email these days?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @MrE Have you seen the private message I have sent your way? 

DeanD
Coach

I'm baffled about this.  I see people talking about leaving Telus for Shaw, etc.  What makes you think that your ISP is going to get better with regards to email?  I have had more issues with Shaw mail than I've ever had with Telus mail, even with the major screwup they just did.  Years ago, the most important lesson that I learned, was to NEVER trust the ISP email services.  Always use a 3rd party for your main email and just forward your ISP mail to those accounts.  Use gmail, yahoo, hotmail, livemail, etc.  Or if you are more security minded, then use Protonmail, Countermail, hushmail, etc, as your primary email address and skip the ISP mail servers altogether.  Let the ISP provide internet access, and don't use the substandard services that come along with it.

I can assure you that a dedicated email provider does just that and focuses on making that experience "dial tone" and dead reliable.

Highlighted
Freeman99
Connector

Oooops-expired cerificate problem is back again today. Problem started Monday afternoon, then was fixed by Eednesday afternoon, and now back again. Come on Telus Smiley Sad

Alberta_Customer
Connector

So now approaching a month into this situation, our telus.net email account is STILL not operational. I've given up on accessing through Outlook for the time being. Using the recommended direct web brower webmail approach is VERY slow and sporadic, and most attempts to do anything result in a variety of server timeout or cryptic Java error messages. The error messages have an option to send the error report to telus, which I do. Not apparent that this does any good.

We got a telus email a week ago saying that the recovery was complete for our account, but in reality the problems persist. Calls to tech support are of little help, but at least have been able to confirm as of Tuesday pm saying that the ongoing webmail problems are known and still being worked on, and NOT a problem on our end. On the occasions that I am able to connect in some manner webmail, I see a new Recovery2019 folder in my folder list. No mention of this folder or what's in it on the telus pages and forums, and a phone tech support agent was pretty vague about what it was and what was in it. Seems to have some but not all historical emails.

The expired certificate problem Tuesday was a totally independent (and highly avoidable problem), and was quickly fixed by telus. But unfortunately the various online telus outage updates are so vague and nebulous to be of no value. Yes a problem was fixed, but since this problem was a red herring and had nothing to do with the underlying ongoing email account corruption debacle, the updates should have been much clearer about this. The webmail problems are ongoing for at least some clients, and the only way for a user to determine this is to log in day after day, and bang your head against the wall.

Telus advises that our account is one of the less than 1% of their clients who are still affected. Small comfort indeed! I have no reason to give that number any credence. And there has been no communications about any compensation despite the public statements to the contrary.

All those years of Telus spend and focus on superior customer support and service, and which had real traction, are now out the window. No doubt this debacle will be a case study for various courses on IT infrastructure, customer service, risk and crisis management.   

outatune
Connector

@ Alberta Customer,  Excellent summary, and I agree with your concluding paragraph.

I'm in Red Deer and we have been functional in send and receive for 3 weeks but there still glitches and error messages, can't seem to empty the spam folder in telus online webmail, seems that unwanted items in inbox have to be deleted twice to make them go away. Outlook, which we normally use, opens and functions but for 3 weeks it shows scrolling through 40 or so items then shows a send/receive error and the dialogue box that appears says POP3 internal server error and has responded with: ERR No such blob, then lists a mailbox number, an item number and change number. The numbers don't seem to change, always the same item number.

It would be helpful if telus could post a tutorial on here to help with resetting outlook and other client systems and what numbers and information will be needed without having to go through the call in tech support, I suspect they are a bit busy. 

Anyone on here familiar with this process and will to share some advice??? I have tried using the Outlook setup wizard but have had no success so far.

Alberta_Customer
Connector

Further to my previous note, my advice to people (like me) with problems still remaining with their emails:

1) call Telus internet tech support, and have them confirm that your specific email address is among the group still with known problems.

2) if your email is NOT in the known problem group, then perhaps it is worth trying to get Outlook or your other email package to work with and synch with Telus. But FIRST see if you can get Telus Webmail to work ok (responsive, no error messages, you can delete emails, etc). If you can't even get Webmail to work ok, then IMHO don't waste your time trying to rebuild or reset Outlook or whatever. Problems with Webmail mean that your email info within Telus is still screwed up, and you need to get back to Tech support and let them know that your email is still screwed up (despite their info to you saying it's corrected), and your evidence is that Webmail doesn't work.

3) if your email IS in the problem group known to Telus, and still not fixed, tech support has told me that while their recovery efforts are ongoing, even Webmail will NOT work correctly most of the time. Excruciatingly slow, you may or may not even be able to log in, incoming emails may show up many hours after they were sent to you, you might be able to delete individual emails but not a group of more than 2-3, you will get a weird error when you try to empty the Trash folder, and so on. If this is still the situation, do the best you can via the buggy Webmail, but don't waste your time further by trying to rebuild or reset Outlook or whatever email package you may be using. You have little choice but to limp along as best you can until this is fixed.

4) Only once Webmail is working properly, only THEN is it worth spending time to get access via Outlook (or whatever) checked out and working.

This is all my conjecture, and YMMV. But it's the sort of more useful and detailed guidance that Telus should be providing clients, rather than the "we are working real hard" and the problems "should be fixed real soon" platitudes that we have been hearing week after week.

Given how long this has gone on, I'm a bit puzzled at the lack of media followup on the initial stories from the initial event in mid-August.

Thursday 10 am and I've just tried 3 times to log into Webmail without success. 10 minutes later and the Webmail  page still just shows " loading ..." .