cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail/Telus email is currently down.

hologram123
Advisor

Just a heads up - our webmail is down at the moment. The queues are very high. Please be patient! We are working on it! So sorry for the inconvenience!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
613 REPLIES 613

Not scaring anyone just related my experience with the pop and map. They can do what ever they want. Good luck. Polecat

@MrEand @polecat 

I think that people who read both of your posts will come away better informed on this issue.

I haven't been able to download POP3 on my desktop since Aug. 15 (now Sept. 9). It currently says

"Downloading Messages 4,520 of 20,687"!!!   

New problem today on desktop, laptop and iPhone:  security certificates for Telus have expired and this affects IMAP and webmail and webmail2.

On desktop and laptop and iPhone when trying webmail and webmail2:  

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from webmail.telus.net (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

On desktop and laptop and iPhone when trying IMAP:

Mail cannot verify the identity of the server of "imap.telus.net":  The certificate for this server is invalid.  You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be "imap.telus.net" which could put your confidential information at risk.

Anybody else have this certificate problem today?

grateful1
Helpful Neighbour

I'm getting this on webmail. telus. net:

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from webmail. telus. net (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more

NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

Also my telus. net email account which is usually accessed without issue thru Thunderbird is repeatedly bringing up a popup windows in the last couple of hours about creating a security exception saying a certificate has expired for imap.telus.net:993 as of today. Couldn't find a new server setting on the Telus site to fix it if that's the problem.
So no email access again and no idea how to fix the eternal popup issue either. Very frustrating.

I have gotten that pop-up too, starting this afternoon! Mine was for imap.telus.net:143. Tried to change it (according to an old post on this forum from last year) to 993, using my phone as I cannot access the settings on my desktop. Stupid pop-up won't go away! I hung on the Telus customer service line for 40 minutes and then found this site and see that I am not alone (yay!), so will wait to see what happens, I guess. 

I cannot even close Thunderbird at all with that stupid popup... Telus sent me a Welcome to the Neighbourhood email, though! Hmmm...Smiley LOL

grateful1
Helpful Neighbour

The webmail. telus. net website no longer has the 'danger Will Robinson' message on it so I am able to log in to my email that way at least.

As for the eternal popup issue, I also tried changing the port number but for the outgoing messages - from 587 to 465 - which did nothing to solve the problem so rather than clicking the cancel button on the popup window forever (you have to click cancel on it numerous times to get it to close and even then it's temporary and will come back again to haunt you) I clicked the other button to the left of the cancel button on the popup to create or accept the certificate exception and the popup is now gone. Hurray and good riddance. I assume that if the certificate did indeed expire today then Telus would be issuing an update to the server settings for IMAP and POP soon but in the meantime having Thunderbird popup free and able to access my email again is what I have for now. 🙂

And with the popup gone my emails are coming thru to my telus. net email address again. Double hurray!

The certificate error seems to be wide spread. A friend in winnipeg is having the same problem.  Her comment "Glad I have Gmail to use".

Interesting to note although the problem has been going on for hours the Telus outage page does not mention it. They claim the  only outage for today is Edson AB. I guess Telus is just part of the "Fake News" conspiracy. 😉

grateful1
Helpful Neighbour

The certificate that expired today apparently was in effect from Sept 9 2014 (based on the info I remember from the popup about it) so you'd think that in those five years there would be a new one ready to go ahead of time, the info posted online for users to apply to their accounts instead of surprise popups and no support for dealing with them. Makes no sense to me.

I emailed Telus to ask if the server settings had changed since there is no new information on the website in the section walking customers thru how to set up their email accounts on various email clients (thunderbird is not listed there but the settings appear to be the same for each other email client that is listed). Until then I have to assume that allowing the expired certificate to be an exception on Thunderbird is okay with no other info to go on.

If anyone does see updates to the server settings for IMAP email that are effective today, could you post them here please? Thanks.  If I get any useful info from Telus if and when they email me back I'll post it here.

I get the expired certificate error too that I hope they will renew or update: it's becoming worse everyday!

Yesterday I just complained about the bonus I didn't receive on my bill...Woman Sad

We sure are looking to fix matter. Our teams have been working really hard to fix emails since it started. We really hope this will be fully resolved soon. 

@ET wrote:

We sure are looking to fix matter. Our teams have been working really hard to fix emails since it started. We really hope this will be fully resolved soon. 

Given the sorry and lengthy history of this outage, the above sounds far more like wishful thinking than reality.

ET
Rockstar

Hi, this matter should be now resolved. If it's still no working, please try to power your device off/on for 10 seconds. 

@ET 

Thanks, yes the certificate problem seems to be gone. Do you know if there anyone looking into the long standing intermittent problems from the POP3 server?

(failed logon, unable to reach LAPD server, timeout  etc. ?)

It's not fixed. I am still receiving expired certificate popup warning. I'm using eM Client for email. I tried your turn off/on 10 seconds suggestion. Help?

Last week after 35 minutes of failure to correct the rep tells me to wait 2 more days for a tech to call....it has been 5. Now on the search for new provider for phone, internet and cable.

Hi @Susieb56 , I'm sorry to hear that you're looking to change carriers. Let me know if there's anything I can help out with? Feel free to send me a private message is required. 

Susieb56
Helpful Neighbour
I just would like it fixed. We are getting so tired of waiting for a resolution to the problem.

My e-mail just started working a couple of days ago. However, it is very slow. Will this issue be addressed?

Also, my webmail is still not working properly: i.e. Lots of error messages when I click on a folder or a message, messages that would normally go to my Inbox are in Junk and the message that I had left in my inbox regarding 1 month free service due to the outage has disappeared. 

Now almost 1 month since the outage started [Aug 15th]. What is the expected time that all issues will be resolved?

Hi @Susieb56 , I'm sorry to hear that you're looking to change carriers. Let me know if there's anything I can help out with? Feel free to send me a private message is required. 

email working again. Certificate popup gone.