cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail/Telus email is currently down.

hologram123
Advisor

Just a heads up - our webmail is down at the moment. The queues are very high. Please be patient! We are working on it! So sorry for the inconvenience!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
613 REPLIES 613

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Email is working for me, having gone through a process with a TELUS Tech to reset my account at their end and mine.
TELUS contacted me to initiate this process. If you need to call in, you will need to indicate they need to reset your account so you can use it with NAME mail client, and they should be able to address it.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

@NFtoBC 

I  will make the suggestion of resetting the POP3 server as a short term fix for sure, the intermittent nature of this long standing problem suggest  a proper permanent solution is actually needed. As for resetting my specific account the error text

"Server responded: -ERR system failure: unable to look up account during query 

LDPA error: unable to get connection; ldpa host:= An I/O error has occurred."

shows a failure to get access to the LDPA  (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) host to look up any account. This is independent of the mail client as the problem can be duplicated by simply telnetting into the server and trying to sign into the Telus POP3 host on port 110. 

@NFtoBC   if you are using a POP3 email client do you mind saying which one? Who at telus contacted you, are they contacting everyone

Knob
Neighbour

The Telus Webmail seems to be a little wonky again, when I log in it takes me to the login page again.  After a second login my webmail loads but when I try to do something it takes me to the login page again, it is a endless circle.  How sad I have to go back to my gmail account once again.

Knob - The same thing here went to check sent and junk today each time it sent me back to log in. Went right out and then logged in and then all ok. This has happened several times in the last week. I will give it more time before i contact a tech it might clear up soon. Polecat

I am working again, just a short term glitch.

NinaB
Just Moved In

Perhaps if you spent less money on your Advertising budget you could afford to run the servers properly. Being one of the BIG 3 providers in Canada, this does not look very good for you guys. None of the other competitors are running into these issues. I've just about had it with Telus as a whole. I'm ready to switch everything over. 

Have to agree with NinaB, this is a massive disappointment and Telus is looking very much like an empty suit.

An equipment failure is not unheard of, even at this scale but to leave the subscribers hang in the wind, no access to factual information regarding what the solution consists of , the progress of this solution and no date offered for the restoration to normal service.

I believe scammers are taking advantage of this problem as well, took a call from a Quebec number earlier this week the gentleman claimed to be a telus rep confirming information regarding the account, this has gone past inconvenient I think, it is time to look at alternatives.

I would like to know if others are experiencing the same thing that I am with pop.telus.net email. Since the "restoration", downloading of messages is extremely slow. In fact, today the downloading of a text message with no attachments actually timed out twice. I had to click on "Get Messages" a third time before the message was received. There doesn't seem to be any such problem sending messages, but that may be due to the fact that sending is via smtp and not pop3.

@ulysses 

Yes I experience problems with the Telus POP3 server ,including timeouts, several times each day.

@MrE wrote:

@ulysses 

Yes I experience problems with the Telus POP3 server ,including timeouts, several times each day.

@MrE, thanks for the reply I expect that Telus has a way to go before everything is restored to the way it should be.

It's hard to believe that things have gotten worse. I can't download messages from pop.telus.net and I can no longer access Telus webmail. It just hangs on the loading page.

It's long past time that Telus hired professionals who know what they are doing to fix these problems, regardless of the cost.

Just a question are you using pop3 and imap on your mail service at the same time. Not supposed to do that may work for  some time but will cause lots of problems down the road. All devices either on imap or pop3 no mixing.  Caused a big mess for me 2 years ago. Google it and get all the answers. Polecat

@polecat wrote:

Just a question are you using pop3 and imap on your mail service at the same time. Not supposed to do that may work for  some time but will cause lots of problems down the road. All devices either on imap or pop3 no mixing.  Caused a big mess for me 2 years ago. Google it and get all the answers. Polecat

I have no reason to doubt your experience, but I haven't had any such problem with the combination in well over ten years.

Update, Vancouver, Sept. 7, 3:32pm

I am happy to report that both pop.telus.net and telus webmail are up.again Hopefully, there will be no more outages for a while. However, recent history has taught me not to hold my breath. Smiley Happy

Here we go again, Telus pop3 server keeps responding 

-ERR internal server error

every time I try to retrieve mail.  And of course ...

"No chat agents are currently available, please call 1-844-372-8559 for help."

And wait, and wait ...  

I've got two devices accessing the same POP3 account, a fixed device via port 110 (no encryption) and the other a mobile device via port 995 (SSL). The former still works but the latter started getting an invalid SSL certificate error on the mobile device today. The certificate reportedly expired 2019-09-09 12:30:43 PDT. Is anyone else seeing this? Both devices are operating on the same Telus PureFibre connection and have been working fine for the last couple of weeks. I realize Telus has always found it inordinately difficult to properly configure and manage any sort of server, but surely they wouldn't mismanage their SSL certificates too. Oh, what am I saying? Smiley Frustrated

Same here certificate error. Wait and see i guess. POLECAT

Alrighty then, my question is answered. Telus has very definitely grossly mismanaged even the most trivial of task of keeping their SSL certificates up to date. This cannot be blamed on equipment failure. Today is the one month anniversary of when the Telus email disaster began and as of yesterday it still wasn't cleaned up for too many Telus customers. As of today, well, the problem is worse. The incompetence Telus has displayed so far is absolutely staggering. I realize that job loss is a severe penalty, but it is painfully obvious that Telus needs to replace more than a few staff, especially amongst management.

@polecat wrote:

@polecat, please accept my apology as I misunderstood your post earlier. I understand now what you mean regarding devices using the same protocol.

Spoiler

Yes having 2 devices  2 on imap and 1 on pop3 is not really a good idea from what i have learned myself. If you google it some say yes most say no. When you open mail in pop it is now on your device and the other devices cannot access that mail. Myself i save or print  any emails that are necessary the rest are deleted daily. There are conflicts between some free email accounts and IMAP and in my case windows live mail because it was on pop3. The more complicated you make mail setup the more that can go haywire. Pop3 is an old email program and i think some new windows platforms are tricky to set  up properly by an average user like me. IMAP works perfect for our needs with Gmail as a backup. Polecat

@polecat 

I know you are trying to help but scaring people about POP3 is may not be helpful. Setting up POP3 should only takes only one or two minutes even for a novice user.

There is no problem having both POP3 and IMAP on the same device. The confusion happens when you use them both on the SAME EMAIL ACCOUNT. Even then it is not causing problems but can be confusing about what happens when you do it. POP3 removes the Emails from your server (telus) and puts them on your device. IMAP leaves the email on the server (telus) and only has subject lines and/or temporary copies on your device. After this fiasco I think everyone should now understand why it is much preferable to keep your emails on your own device rather than trust Telus to store them and let you access them when you need. 

IMHO anyone using Email for business or other important matters should use POP3 for primary email service and then auto forwarding (with filtering if you know how) to send a copy to an IMAP account if you want access from several devices. Then even when telus goes down you can access any emails you have already received. I understand this might not be convenient for everyone but takes back some control from Big Brother.