Webmail/Telus email is currently down.

adamthebad
Connector
yes it is on telus....once the send/enter/arrow/mouse is clicked and its gone to the net it is on the reciever to pick up/recieve

adamthebad
Connector
maybe ..maybe not as telus provides a service with non-reliable equipment/security it makes people who depend on a company WHO demands payment a day late...people who pay for a service demand the service when it crashes
Fisherguy
Advocate

I actually got a call from a serv rep in the Philippines today apologizing for the email outage.  I asked when things will be back to normal, she couldn't give me an answer.  She also said I'd get a $20 credit on my next bill; I told her it should be more, people are pissed off and frustrated, she said 20 bucks was all she could do.

quixotic
Friendly Neighbour

My email is up and running again, but my wife's email is still kaput.  And they're both on the same account, same monthly bill, same monthly payment, etc.  Luckily she has the patience of a saint.

adamthebad
Connector
the problem with a low tech to mid tech enterprise systems....Telus needs to worry less about flashy advertising and invest in higher form of servers/security....plus their tech service needs to be beefed way up
Tarosujimoto
Organizer

It is 100% telus fault if its servers go down and the sent mail does not arrive.

especially when many important emails are sent from a no reply address.

adamthebad
Connector
yep
On Aug. 19, 2019, at 7:49 p.m., TELUS Neighbourhood < telusneighbourhood@external.telus.com> wrote:
Hi adamthebad,

Tarosujimoto (Helpful Neighbour) posted a new reply in Internet, TV & Home Phone on 08-19-2019 07:49 PM:
Re: Webmail/Telus email is currently down.

It is 100% telus fault if its servers go down and the sent mail does not arrive.

especially when many important emails are sent from a no reply address.
Reply | Give Kudos

TELUS Neighbourhood sent this message to <personal info removed>.
You are receiving this email because a new message matches your subscription to a topic.
To control which emails we send you please go to, manage your subscription; notification settings or unsubscribe.
rc
Ambassador

@Fisherguy wrote:

I actually got a call from a serv rep in the Philippines today apologizing for the email outage.  I asked when things will be back to normal, she couldn't give me an answer.  She also said I'd get a $20 credit on my next bill; I told her it should be more, people are pissed off and frustrated, she said 20 bucks was all she could do.

I also received a call from a serv rep and all they did was apologies, but could not provide any info on when I could expect my historical email to be restored, and did not offer anything in the way of a bill credit.  

Not sure how they decide who to offer credits .

mbp
Advisor

Customer service reps likely won't have any information that technical. It's outside of their training.

geodoc
Connector

Vancouver - 9:00 PM - 08/19/19

Webmail partially working. Able to log in and view inbox page. Unable to view any other sections like 'sent', or 'trash', unable to compose, displays 'error' message. POP mail seems to be functioning normally (MS Outlook).

SunDog
Connector

I've worked with enterprise-level IT infrastructure for more than 25 years and I can tell you that there's no excuse for a single point of failure that takes almost a week to rectify. For example, there's server replication/redundancy, distributed data centres, etc.

The only real limitation is how much you're willing to spend and clearly Telus thinks what it has is good enough.

rc
Ambassador

@SunDog wrote:

I've worked with enterprise-level IT infrastructure for more than 25 years and I can tell you that there's no excuse for a single point of failure that takes almost a week to rectify. For example, there's server replication/redundancy, distributed data centres, etc.

The only real limitation is how much you're willing to spend and clearly Telus thinks what it has is good enough.

From reading their statement about the cause was not due to lack of redundancy but human error, of a supplier, that effected a storage device (EMC) on a SAN.  I'm  speculating that data on one or more LUNs was lost or corrupted during a storage upgrade or server migration . So they are now trying to recover the data from backups, which will take a fair amount of work to extract from backups sets. They may have to restore all the data to a test environment then extract the effected mailboxes.

rc
Ambassador

High availability systems don't help much if you get a corrupted data segment that  is replicated and backed up and is discovered a fair amount of time after the corruption event.

How you handle this situation is highly dependent on the application and data management system, not the underlying hardware.

ulysses
Coach

@SunDog  is correct. The reason the data was corrupted by human error was because of a lack of proper backup and/or redundancy. When you update a system, it is fundamental that you always have to maintain a backup of the system you are updating in case something goes wrong. That obviously was not done in this case.

ulysses
Coach

Regarding the "temporary fix". I can receive new posts via telus webmail, but I cannot reply, write or delete messages.

geodoc
Connector

As of 10:45, Tuesday 08/20, Vancouver

Webmail is still inop for me. Able to log in to Inbox, but not able to view emails individually, view, sent, trash, etc. Attempts to do so produces 'server error' message. POP email (Outlook) is apparently fully functional.

Highlighted
outatune
Connector

@geodoc  opposite is true for me, in Red Deer. Webmail receives, sends, replies and forwards but still unable to use outlook as normal, get a dialogue box for address and password  but is rejected by server on submission.

ulysses
Coach

I communicated with telus support via chat. I complained about the fact that telus webmail is only partially functional as I can only receive emails. I cannot write, forward, delete or reply to emails. When I was told that they are working to make webmail fully functional, I replied that the "temporary fix" update made no mention of the fact that webmail was only partially functional, my chat was abruptly cut off.

Great customer service telus! My next complaint will be to the CRTC.

Minky
Ambassador

I can sign on to Telus webmail check an emaiol and get bounced out again to login page!  Edmonton, AB.

Anyone else having these issues? 1;25 PM Tuesday 20/08/19

adamthebad
Connector
thats why we need some American cell providers here

On Aug. 20, 2019, at 1:07 p.m., TELUS Neighbourhood < telusneighbourhood@external.telus.com> wrote:

Hi adamthebad,

ulysses (Friendly Neighbour) posted a new reply in Internet, TV & Home Phone on 08-20-2019 01:07 PM:

Re: Webmail/Telus email is currently down.

I communicated with telus support via chat. I complained about the fact that telus webmail is only partially functional as I can only receive emails. I cannot write, forward, delete or reply to emails. When I was told that they are working to make webmail fully functional, I replied that the "temporary fix" update made no mention of the fact that webmail was only partially functional, my chat was abruptly cut off.

Great customer service telus! My next complaint will be to the CRTC.

Reply | Give Kudos

TELUS Neighbourhood sent this message to <personal info removed by mod>
You are receiving this email because a new message matches your subscription to a topic.

To control which emails we send you please go to, manage your subscription & notification settings or unsubscribe.