cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail/Telus email is currently down.

hologram123
Advisor

Just a heads up - our webmail is down at the moment. The queues are very high. Please be patient! We are working on it! So sorry for the inconvenience!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
613 REPLIES 613

I of course prefer ebills and interac.  But when telus tries to foist its paperless billings on its customers, then fails in the reliability of its own  email system, it needs to reconsider the strategy.

2 telus email breakdowns in the last 3 months shows poor reliability and weak systems. The standard of service must be higher. 

I jokingly predicted a 1 week outage last Thursday.  It’s pretty sad that this prediction may come true.

the worst part is yet to come when Telus eventually  advises its  customers that some emails that were sent to its customers during the outage may never be received by them. 

Which good services are you referring to?  

Not email, that’s for sure. 

Dont even get me started on the perils of using telus email when traveling...... and the workaround for that is  “use a web browser.” 

Yes i find Telus service good for my needs. All emails that are important are down loaded every day. Not left on the cloud. I have cell/home phone/internet/ and tv and they work fine for me.One little bump does not make me want to change. Polecat

maybe ..maybe not as telus provides a service with non-reliable equipment/security it makes people who depend on a company WHO demands payment a day late...people who pay for a service demand the service when it crashes

@ColtenDavis, Have you seen this?  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/4-days-of-telus-email-outage-caused-by-data-storage-...

So, according to you (the smart guy 2019 hip guy), all these business owners should "chill out man" and "grow up"?  
Get your head outa your ass, this outage is costing people money!!  

rc
Rockstar

My email was working yesterday  (Saturday ), was able to send a receive emails and  all my saved email appeared to be on the telus servers.  This morning my email client is unable to login, so email for me is down again!

Fisherguy
Ambassador

Why is the first post marked SOLVED?

Last night Telus said as a temporary fix they got Webmail working,  I can log in but all my old emails, all the old folders are completely gone, only emails for yesterday show up and I can't even delete them.

AWESOME temporary fix...

I can log in but can't read or compose any emails, all generate a server error please try again.

How is this a temporary fix?

Fisherguy
Ambassador

I actually got a call from a serv rep in the Philippines today apologizing for the email outage.  I asked when things will be back to normal, she couldn't give me an answer.  She also said I'd get a $20 credit on my next bill; I told her it should be more, people are pissed off and frustrated, she said 20 bucks was all she could do.

quixotic
Friendly Neighbour

My email is up and running again, but my wife's email is still kaput.  And they're both on the same account, same monthly bill, same monthly payment, etc.  Luckily she has the patience of a saint.

the problem with a low tech to mid tech enterprise systems....Telus needs to worry less about flashy advertising and invest in higher form of servers/security....plus their tech service needs to be beefed way up

@Fisherguy wrote:

I actually got a call from a serv rep in the Philippines today apologizing for the email outage.  I asked when things will be back to normal, she couldn't give me an answer.  She also said I'd get a $20 credit on my next bill; I told her it should be more, people are pissed off and frustrated, she said 20 bucks was all she could do.

I also received a call from a serv rep and all they did was apologies, but could not provide any info on when I could expect my historical email to be restored, and did not offer anything in the way of a bill credit.  

Not sure how they decide who to offer credits .

Customer service reps likely won't have any information that technical. It's outside of their training.

Vancouver - 9:00 PM - 08/19/19

Webmail partially working. Able to log in and view inbox page. Unable to view any other sections like 'sent', or 'trash', unable to compose, displays 'error' message. POP mail seems to be functioning normally (MS Outlook).

I've worked with enterprise-level IT infrastructure for more than 25 years and I can tell you that there's no excuse for a single point of failure that takes almost a week to rectify. For example, there's server replication/redundancy, distributed data centres, etc.

The only real limitation is how much you're willing to spend and clearly Telus thinks what it has is good enough.

@SunDog wrote:

I've worked with enterprise-level IT infrastructure for more than 25 years and I can tell you that there's no excuse for a single point of failure that takes almost a week to rectify. For example, there's server replication/redundancy, distributed data centres, etc.

The only real limitation is how much you're willing to spend and clearly Telus thinks what it has is good enough.

From reading their statement about the cause was not due to lack of redundancy but human error, of a supplier, that effected a storage device (EMC) on a SAN.  I'm  speculating that data on one or more LUNs was lost or corrupted during a storage upgrade or server migration . So they are now trying to recover the data from backups, which will take a fair amount of work to extract from backups sets. They may have to restore all the data to a test environment then extract the effected mailboxes.

@SunDog  is correct. The reason the data was corrupted by human error was because of a lack of proper backup and/or redundancy. When you update a system, it is fundamental that you always have to maintain a backup of the system you are updating in case something goes wrong. That obviously was not done in this case.

Regarding the "temporary fix". I can receive new posts via telus webmail, but I cannot reply, write or delete messages.

As of 10:45, Tuesday 08/20, Vancouver

Webmail is still inop for me. Able to log in to Inbox, but not able to view emails individually, view, sent, trash, etc. Attempts to do so produces 'server error' message. POP email (Outlook) is apparently fully functional.

@geodoc  opposite is true for me, in Red Deer. Webmail receives, sends, replies and forwards but still unable to use outlook as normal, get a dialogue box for address and password  but is rejected by server on submission.

I communicated with telus support via chat. I complained about the fact that telus webmail is only partially functional as I can only receive emails. I cannot write, forward, delete or reply to emails. When I was told that they are working to make webmail fully functional, I replied that the "temporary fix" update made no mention of the fact that webmail was only partially functional, my chat was abruptly cut off.

Great customer service telus! My next complaint will be to the CRTC.