cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail/Telus email is currently down.

hologram123
Advisor

Just a heads up - our webmail is down at the moment. The queues are very high. Please be patient! We are working on it! So sorry for the inconvenience!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
613 REPLIES 613

Timmah1
Organizer

Well I had e-mail back for a day or so and now it is completely down again...

I remember recently when they switch me from copper to fiber they ensured me several time my e-mail address and e-mail would transfer over with no issue. Well that was a lie and they ended up deleting my e-mail accounts. That took them 4 days to figure out how to fix that.

It puzzles me how they seem to have no redundancy at all for the e-mail system.

Strathmore, Alberta.  Down again!   aaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!  What's up Telus?  I want compensation for your poor service.

@bluebell wrote:

Strathmore, Alberta.  Down again!   aaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!  What's up Telus?  I want compensation for your poor service.

You'll get compensated in the form of increased charges for their level of "service".

As of 8:00 PM on Aug 17 here in Cranbrook, BC my accounts are slowly going in reverse, what had worked are now very intermittent or not at all. Wife's single account still has had no signs of life since initial outage. Trying to access webmail goes absolutely nowhere now no matter what browser/device is used.

@Elky64 wrote:

As of 8:00 PM on Aug 17 here in Cranbrook, BC my accounts are slowly going in reverse, what had worked are now very intermittent or not at all. Wife's single account still has had no signs of life since initial outage. Trying to access webmail goes absolutely nowhere now no matter what browser/device is used.

Welcome to the 10% club!Smiley LOL

If you are an old fart like me, you might remember a Telus 3 day email outage happening once before many years ago. At that time I was operating my own ISP service complete with email, so I could chuckle at the problem Telus was having. Now it's a different story, as I am totally dependent on Telus for my email, although I use a third party service to filter out the garbage. It is very obvious to most of us that the "90% back in service" number is out to lunch, and whatever bureaucrat thought that one up should be shot with a ball of his own BS.

It is my belief that the problem originates with user authentication. I use the POP3 server, and for about a week before the complete outage that server would occasionally return "internal server error" when I attempted to connect. It would usually only last a few hours, and I could always use Telus Webmail if I needed to read my messages. The outbound SMTP server always worked during these outages.

Like most large email suppliers, Telus probably uses a centralized authentication system. The fact that the Webmail server could authenticate and the POP3 server could not suggests that the difficulty was with the authentication system.

Another interesting fact is during most of this 3 day outage, I could still use the SMTP server for sending mail, although there were brief periods that I would get "421 mtlp000083 cmsmtp ESMTP server temporarily not available".

J.A. Coutts

couttsy
Friendly Neighbour
To ease concern about missing emails, I have analyzed some of the data received now that we are back in action. I receive an email from my third party supplier every day listing all the spam that was blocked or held, and there is only one day missing (Aug 15, 16, 18 rec'd). Below is the header received information for those days. They are normally in reverse order, but I have put them in sequential order for easier reading. -Received: from relay20.pobox.com ([173.228.157.46]) by telus_ibsmtp with SMTP id y8k7hEz7Bshg8y8k9h75AP; Wed, 14 Aug 2019 23:56:13 -0600 -Received: from mtlp000082 (smtp-ob.email.telus.net [172.20.100.250]) by mtlp000060.email.telus.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id D1C5880130 for ; Wed, 14 Aug 2019 23:56:13 -0600 (MDT) -Received: from mtlp000060.email.telus.net (LHLO mtlp000060.email.telus.net) (172.20.100.160) by mtlp000030.email.telus.net with LMTP; Wed, 14 Aug 2019 23:56:13 -0600 (MDT) -Received: from relay21.pobox.com ([173.228.157.47]) by telus_ibsmtp with SMTP id yVaPhAu6m09c0yVbQh4M8M; Fri, 16 Aug 2019 00:22:58 -0600 -Received: from mtlp000082 (unknown [172.20.100.71]) by mtlp000050.email.telus.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 0BCF628764 for ; Fri, 16 Aug 2019 03:05:37 -0600 (MDT) -Received: from mtlp000050.email.telus.net (LHLO mtlp000050.email.telus.net) (172.20.100.150) by mtlp000030.email.telus.net with LMTP; Fri, 16 Aug 2019 04:49:43 -0600 (MDT) -Received: from relay4.pobox.com ([64.147.108.62]) by telus_ibsmtp with SMTP id zEL9hh7qhBmtYzELAhpYYV; Sun, 18 Aug 2019 00:06:58 -0600 -Received: from mtlp000079 (unknown [172.20.100.70]) by mtlp000050.email.telus.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 1BB002F119 for ; Sun, 18 Aug 2019 00:06:58 -0600 (MDT) -Received: from mtlp000050.email.telus.net (LHLO mtlp000050.email.telus.net) (172.20.100.150) by mtlp000030.email.telus.net with LMTP; Sun, 18 Aug 2019 00:06:58 -0600 (MDT) Inbound email is received by the SMTP server, and it was intermittently out of action for relatively brief periods of time. It would be nice if Telus could tell us what those outage times were, but that would be expecting too much. J.A. Coutts

couttsy
Friendly Neighbour
If messages have been lost, it is not necessarily all Telus's fault. The original Sendmail program anticipated that the receiving server might not be able to receive a message because of network issues. It would attempt to send a message for 5 days (default) before giving up and notifying the sender. I doubt there are many SMTP servers that do that today, but it does indicate that a good sending server will not just give up after a single attempt. How many servers can make that claim, and how many even bother to inform the sender that the message could not be sent? J.A. Coutts

yes it is on telus....once the send/enter/arrow/mouse is clicked and its gone to the net it is on the reciever to pick up/recieve

It is 100% telus fault if its servers go down and the sent mail does not arrive.

especially when many important emails are sent from a no reply address.

yep
On Aug. 19, 2019, at 7:49 p.m., TELUS Neighbourhood < [email protected]> wrote:
Hi adamthebad,

Tarosujimoto (Helpful Neighbour) posted a new reply in Internet, TV & Home Phone on 08-19-2019 07:49 PM:
Re: Webmail/Telus email is currently down.

It is 100% telus fault if its servers go down and the sent mail does not arrive.

especially when many important emails are sent from a no reply address.
Reply | Give Kudos

TELUS Neighbourhood sent this message to <personal info removed>.
You are receiving this email because a new message matches your subscription to a topic.
To control which emails we send you please go to, manage your subscription; notification settings or unsubscribe.

7:00 PM 08/17 - Vancouver. Both webmail and POP email worked from late morning until about 6:30 PM. Now unable to connect to POP email or access webmail. Sigh .......................

Can now get the login page..but can't go anywhere with it.  What does the message

"??? Idap.LDAP_ERROR ??? "  mean ?  I"ve had that once or twice before.

My area in Surrey, BC was up most of the day. Was receiving a few messages. Sent some too, but have no idea if they arrived. But the Telus train wreck resumes and email is completely down again.

I remember the years where Telus could not figure out how to set the clocks on their DNS servers. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they've since outsourced their email infrastructure to experts in arcade machine repair, but the root of the competency problems is internal, beginning with (mis)management.

A_Kron
Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

@A_Kron wrote:

An apology to our TELUS.net email customers -> https://forum.telus.com/t5/Neighbourhood-Blog/An-Apology-To-Our-TELUS-net-Email-Customers/ba-p/99078

A video apology that's basically read verbatim from what's been previously written on the Web site.  Hahaha.  Well, it's good for those of us who are illiterate I suppose and I do love a nice Aussie accent.

At least he said, "You have my word that our entire Telus leadership team will learn from this experience and ensure that we never put you in this situation again."  It brought a tear to my eye.  He looked VERY sincere.  They even went in for the close up a few times to make him look EXTRA sincere.

Many people have said that there should be some type o compensation for our email outage.  So...what compensation would be appropriate and would satisfy you....as a home customer ?  As a business customer ?  And be realistic !

Ask me when the outage is over.  I haven't had a sniff of e-mail since Wednesday night.  And until I see the e-mails come in, it's pretty difficult to assess the damage, if any, from not receiving any e-mails.

A 10:00 PM check (Aug 17th) here in Cranbrook, BC revealed, in our household, both my wife's and my email accounts are finally up and running... Email client(s), webmail, etc working as they should, at least for now.

All praise Jeebus!

All more email accounts are now operational.

Slow as molasses but able to send/receive emails.

Yup, email seems to be up here in Langley at 22:16 hrs on Sat evening, BUT, I only have 7 emails, where are the rest. I normally get that amount in 4 hours.