Webmail/Telus email is currently down.

Highlighted
Coach

@BusyBee wrote:

Vancouver Island here. Down for 3 days and counting.  Love to know what they mean by 10% too.  webmail.telus.net says it doesn't exist anymore - so are they doing that based on location?  But I see folks on here from Red Deer to Vancouver all saying the same thing.  NO EMAIL.  Grr.  My sympathies to anyone running a business and relying on this.  

Sure is a lot of 10 percenters here lol.

Highlighted
Neighbour

ANOTHER DAY (DAY 3) ... in Airdrie ... NO EMAIL...  OMG  Smiley Mad.   Are there NO BACK UPS?  No STRIPING?  ANY kind of RAID System At ALL ?¿?¿?  Hello ... TELUS ... Your supposed to be PROFESSIONALS !!!!

Highlighted
Resident

Same experience in Calgary.

Has TELUS heard about backup with regular testing.

I would like to know who reviews their internet security and backup plans.

Is this a hack also that we have not been alerted to?

Highlighted
Neighbour
I was sort of thinking the same until I checked my (still mot working) e-mail this morning. No word of a lie, the only thing in my Inbox was my Telus Mobility bill.

Too bad it’s been three days and counting and they still can’t figure out how to get the rest of my e-mail through.... 😞
Highlighted
Ambassador

Abbotsford still down...now they say it's due to Cable theft....it's taken them 3 days to figure that out ?  Also on Status page..only showing Surrey as affected area...Guess the rest of us don't exist any more.

Highlighted
Connector

I appear to no longer be part of the 10% (for now). As of about 10:00 AM 08/17 both webmail and POP mail are functional. Question is what measures is Telus going to take to ensure that this never happens again? I guess we can't know. Question now is whether to switch to a provider that has a better track record or stick with Telus and hope that this was a wake-up call for them.

Highlighted
Neighbour
For me here in Edmonton, it looks like I now have (limited?) connectivity to my telus.net e-mail address through my iPhone, however my crusty old telusmail.net addy—which I originally got with my cell phone back in the day and still use as my main account—is still MIA.

Additionally, there continues to be no joy trying to log into either of my Telus webmail accounts via the internet as, invariably, I wind up at the “we can’t find that page” part of the site.

Fingers crossed, all of their e-mail server data will eventually come back online—including the accounts that date back to a time when Telus’ service was actually decent....
Highlighted
Neighbour

Still down in Kamloops with Webmail page not available. However after the last big outage a month or so ago, I had set up forwarding from my telus email to another account.  This morning I received 2 telus bills and one promo from telus that were forwarded. Other messages are still missing.  Just read Telus' online apology - how about giving all their customers $10 off instead of the few that were stubborn enough (and had the time) to sit on hold waiting for a customer rep

Resident

I hear Shaw is picking up a lot of Telus customers. If this carries on much longer, I'll be visiting their office.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
Aug 17 11:19, service still out for email and webmail. It does let me log in to Webmail, then says password is over 6 months old, then it says "Looks like we can't find that page, what would you like to do" then offers a link to the home page, which works. So there is some interaction with Telus, meaning the cables are working ?? So to me, the troubles are in house with the e-mail servers either at the Vancouver Data center or the Edmonton Data center.
Highlighted
Resident

Three days and counting with no Telus e-mail. Sure glad I have a gmail account and not a business relying on Telus e-mail.

Any lawyers out there looking for a class-action?

Highlighted
Resident

Elm2, unfortunately you need your valid email, to set up your account with Shaw

Highlighted
Connector

Went to my shop at a different location than my home (Vancouver) tried logging in to Telus webmail and unable to. 08/17 12:15 PM.

Highlighted
Resident

Donots

I have three email accounts, one of which is not working.

Highlighted
Coach

@Elm2 wrote:

Donots

I have three email accounts, one of which is not working.

I've got four email accounts, two are "working" but they really weren't used before.  The two that AREN'T working, I was using.  Seems to me the reason why it isn't working (both had a fair number of emails in the inbox).  The two emails that are working, have pretty much an empty inbox.  Is that the same with you?

Highlighted
Coach

Follow up to my last post....

Seems to me (not being a "techie") that is far easier to "restore"/"fix" an email account that was essentially dormant (and/or rarely used) vs one that was used fairly regularly (as the later involves stored emails in the inbox that MIGHT have to be 'restored' in some way due to a hardware failure where there was no backup system in place).

Highlighted
Ambassador

Abbotsford....3 of my friends who live within 15 blocks of me all have email now...yet nothing at my place since Wed night.  How do they explain that ?  Hope they plan on rebates on our net bill...and what about the business customers and lost customers etc.  Going to have a lot of mea culpas ahead.

Highlighted
Coach

@Irishgranny wrote:

Abbotsford....3 of my friends who live within 15 blocks of me all have email now...yet nothing at my place since Wed night.  How do they explain that ?  Hope they plan on rebates on our net bill...and what about the business customers and lost customers etc.  Going to have a lot of mea culpas ahead.

Did the email account that you use have alot of stuff in the inbox (read/unread messages)?  As I already posted, it seems more than just a coincidence, that out of my four email accounts, the two that are working were ones that were rarely used (and hence, didn't have alot of messages in the inbox-whether read or unread).

Highlighted
Coach

Again, I'm only guessing but I suspect they have *NO ADEQUATE BACKUP SYSTEM* in place.  Hence, most of the work the "techies" are doing is trying to restore the messages somehow (which can be time consuming).  They're keeping quiet about it because I would tend to believe SOME data is be unrecoverable.  The 90% number they keeping telling the public might actually be correct (as we're talking about alot of dormant and/or rarely used email accounts - I think the standard internet package gives you four or five?; again, it's not alot of work to "fix" those accounts as there's little date to 'restore').

Though again, I'm just speculating.  But we should feel fine that the outage page on Telus says Vancouver is all ok right?!

Highlighted
Resident
Calgary
Still nothing for me and yes a very large inbox and extremely active. Your theory makes a lot of sense. Still haven’t figured out what my next step is though feeling like it’s time to make the move.
Highlighted
Ambassador
Highlighted
Coach

@canucks4life wrote:

Just received an Email regarding the Email outage lol

https://m.info.telus.com/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=%40Ib%2BHWBa2lZ3a7J4yjUI8c5Lj4wdypeUuzsV3nm0aA1E%3D&cid=telD...

"and were able to restore service for the majority of customers overnight."

What a bunch of BS.

Highlighted
Good afternoon,

TELUS technicians continue to work around the clock to restore TELUS.net email access. This is a fluid situation, and we are doing everything we can to stabilize all servers as we bring our final customers back online. Unfortunately, the issues with the remaining servers are very complex, which is why this is taking much longer than we would like. We know that our customers are frustrated, and we are incredibly sorry.

We want to reiterate that we take this issue extremely seriously, which is why today, we reached out to customers who are still without email service with an SMS text message to apologize directly. We have hundreds of team members working to ensure service is completely restored and this situation is fully resolved.
Highlighted
Neighbour
Telus has proven itself to be really good at dispensing empty apologies—too bad the same can’t be said about keeping their e-mail servers working, updating their customers, providing viable solutions for compensation/lost correspondence/etc.....
Highlighted
Connector

On one hand, they have the crocodile tears statement on a band over the page that comes up when the Web mail doesn't: "We are very sorry for the TELUS Webmail disruption. We take this issue very seriously and are workin...

When you click on the Outages page, regardless of the update time (12:15pm in this case) the update says every time "Most customers are now able to access their email accounts, which are once again fully operational."  Then they go on to discuss the small but chosen few who still don't have e-mail.

So on one hand, they acknowledge a big problem.  On the other hand, they downplay the big problem.  I wonder if they took the weekend off?

As far as I can tell, the only noticeable thing Telus has done over the past few days is to keep changing the title of this thread.

Highlighted
Resident

AGREED! 

2:00 PM Saturday- still out! 

Highlighted
Coach

"we reached out to customers who are still without email service with an SMS text message to apologize directly."

I have a landline (not a cell) associated with my account.  I sure wish they would phone me so I can tear a strip off the person.  Nah, I'm kidding.  Why give the messenger grief.  They aren't responsible for having no backup system in place.  

Highlighted
Ambassador

To those thinking of a different provider. Check it out might not be as good as you think it is. Equipment or software failure can happen to any one of them. Our email was back up early friday morning. I clean out inbox every evening storing important ones in a folder or in downloads. Have a friend near bye never deleted emails for years still down all the people around them that have telus webmail and were back up before noon friday. Polecat

Highlighted
Connector

Here's something else Telus does fast -- I've gone from "Helpful Neighbour" to "Organizer" to "Connector" in record time!!  By Monday, I'll be the CEO!!  For sure I'll get my e-mail restored then!

Highlighted
Connector

@LostinVancouver wrote:

"we reached out to customers who are still without email service with an SMS text message to apologize directly."

I have a landline (not a cell) associated with my account.  I sure wish they would phone me so I can tear a strip off the person.  Nah, I'm kidding.  Why give the messenger grief.  They aren't responsible for having no backup system in place.  

Same here, a landline.  I don't know if it defines the term "apologize directly" when they send out a mass text.  If anyone gets an actual call, be sure to record it.