cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail/Telus email is currently down.

hologram123
Advisor

Just a heads up - our webmail is down at the moment. The queues are very high. Please be patient! We are working on it! So sorry for the inconvenience!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
613 REPLIES 613

ATTENTION ANYONE STILL EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS WITH TELUS EMAIL How to Make a Complaint about your Internet Service Internet service providers compete to have you as a customer. When businesses compete, the CRTC does not intervene in the retail rates that are charged to customers. The CRTC is also not directly involved in their billing and marketing practices, quality of service issues, and customer relations. We encourage you to contact your provider to resolve your specific concerns. You may also contact the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS). The CCTS is an independent agency mandated to help resolve eligible consumer and small business complaints relating to certain retail telecommunications services. You can submit your complaint directly to the CCTS by clicking on the following link: https://ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/complaint-form You can also contact the CCTS using the following methods: Online: http://www.ccts-cprst.ca By email: [email protected] By telephone: Call, toll free, 1-888-221-1687 By fax: 1-877-782-2924 By mail: CCTS, P.O. Box 56067 - Minto Place RO, Ottawa, Ontario K1R 7Z1 by toll-free TTY: 1-877-782-2384

Since I last reported, weeks ago, things remain the same. I always get an error reported by outlook, and have become numb to it.

I never get the LOGIN failure that @MrE reports, but have had one more LDAP related error:

2019-10-03 08:12:58.639800 -ERR system failure: unable to lookup account via query: ... message: LDAP error: - unable to get connection: ldap host=: An I/O error occurred while trying to read the response from the server: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

And I still have 10 e-mails dated August 9th that i can not get rid of.

I have never heard anything about any rebate or reduced bill.

rwoods
Just Moved In

I did this too but I don't think it really does much. Telus have their backs covered in fine print which their support staff are trained on reminding people. I found the better solution here was to migration my address to a premium mail service that specializes in email. I found migrating over to Thexyz an easy and painless process. Now I can send and receive email again.  

Well, another month has gone by. Still no emails recovered. Try calling in weekly. They treat me like its a new problem every time and promise to escalate problem. Never heard back. For a month!!!! Even loyalty didn't want to talk to me and just passed me back to tech support..    sigh...  Pathetic.

The POP3 server still rejects logins several times a day. I  emailed for an escalation ...

"Send us an email

If you’d prefer to connect with us through email, simply fill out the form below and the TELUS Management Escalation Team will respond within one business day. "

The response was longer than "one business day" but I was contacted by a manager who said he will have a support / email troubleshooter contact me. A week later I contacted him back to say no one ever got back to me. He said now he will send it to tier two (interesting side note support previously told me on two occasions there is no such thing as tier two support). That was a few days ago and I'm still waiting.

So there are managers who seem to care but Telus seems unable to follow through on any of the promises it makes.

My Telus email account hasn't been functioning since Aug 15 - just over 10 weeks.

Luckily, I started forwarding all email to a Gmail account on Aug 19 and it appears to be working so that I can receive emails addressed to my Telus account.  I'm not sure where my email between Aug 15 and Aug 19 ended up.  

Since Telus has been providing assurances that "TELUS team members are diligently working around the clock and continue to make progress on restoring the remaining 0.5% of customers who continue to be affected by the recent TELUS.net outage." I had been continuing to rely on my Telus account as my primary account, but I sent / received email forwarded via Gmail.   

https://www.telus.com/en/internet/email-outage

I've noticed that the above update hasn't changed since mid-September.  They used to put a date on the message, but I haven't seen a date on the message since mid-September.

I've corresponded regularly with Telus tech staff, but their response has been abysmal.

Here is the situation:

1. I can log into my webmail Telus account.  But, my Inbox only shows messages received before 6:00 am on Aug 15.
  2. I can send and receive messages under my Telus address via Gmail since I managed to log into my Telus webmail account and had all my incoming email forwarded to my Gmail account.
  3. I seem to be receiving forwarded emails in my Gmail account.  However, all senders receive the following message from Telus:

Date: 
Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
To: <>

This is the mail system at host XXXXXXXXX.email.telus.net.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

It seemed to me that the problem could be fixed if Telus simply transferred my mailbox account to a new server. 

But, for some reason I have been stuck in limbo for 10 weeks, and every time someone sends me a message, they get an "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender" message and I have to explain to senders that I actually got the message.  I've explained to Telus many times that I am actually getting emails via Gmail.  But, Telus has responded that it isn't possible for them to stop sending this auto-message.

As a result, I'm now in the process of moving my primary email service to Gmail, and will not be using Telus moving forward.  But, it's a lot of work because I need to create a new account for most internet services (I can't just simply change my designated email address).

I am frustrated beyond belief.  Is anyone else out there in "the remaining 0.5% of customers who continue to be affected by the recent TELUS.net outage" ?

Bruce5m:  I have not been able to download via POP3 to my Mail client on my iMac since Aug. 15.  My phone calls to Telus result in being told to be patient.  Luckily webmail is working for sending and receiving, but that's not where my filing system is.  Sigh.

I do have several gmail accounts but they are for different purposes and I don't want to have to abandon my Telus account.  

Tandy - I feel your pain. I didn't want to abandon my Telus email account either - it's been my primary account for 25 years.  But, it's now been 11 weeks of hassle - and it's been embarrassing to explain to friends and family why I have put up with this problem for so long without switching to another service.  

For what it's worth, I sent an email to Telus via:

https://www.telus.com/en/support/contact-us/email

And, I got a response that they are looking into my file.  We'll see if it amounts to anything.

Good luck !

I went thru the summer fiasco and eventually got my emails.  However, since last Saturday, I haven't been able to download my telus.net emails via pop.telus.net (webmail is fine).

I spent a few hours on TELUS chat this am, but they weren't able to help me without bumping me up to TELUS tech support which we didn't yet get around to.

FWIW, www.isitdownrightnow.com reports that pop.telus.net is down for everyone.

Am I the only one who's having a POP issue?  Did I miss a memo recenly?

bryan

pop has been working fine for me all day today, as far as I know.

Disclaimer: by "fine" I mean with the standard error message at the end, because it can't delete several restored e-mails from August 9th. If there was actually a real error message I wouldn't know unless I investigate further. However I have received e-mails today.

By the way, in my last posting, some time ago now, I said that I had not had any reduction in my telus internet bill. I have had two bills since then, the first was for zero dollars (might have actually been negative), and the second was for only a few dollars.

@DougSmythies  Some mail clients do not display POP3 problems and just retry later leaving the user the user is unaware how often mail retrieval attempts fail. Unfortunately the pop3 server is not working fine.

A few weeks ago I started a " TELUS Manager Escalation" on continued POP3 errors. It took two weeks of being passed around to finally get real attention from the "technical email team" , the problem had to be passed to the twice before they did more than pass the buck.  The manager handling my escalation (seems a good guy) confirmed for me what I had known (and posted details of long ago) there are problems with the telus  LDAP server. For almost a week solid the pop3 errors stopped for me.

Then they restarted with a new error message for a few days.

2019.11.18 12:19:15 POP3 (pop.telus.net): [tx] USER *************
2019.11.18 12:19:15 POP3 (pop.telus.net): <rx> +OK
2019.11.18 12:19:15 POP3 (pop.telus.net): [tx] PASS *****
2019.11.18 12:19:25 POP3 (pop.telus.net): <rx> -ERR operation sent to wrong host (you want 'mtlp000126.email.telus.net')
2019.11.18 12:19:25 POP3 (pop.telus.net): Retrying authorization
2019.11.18 12:19:39 POP3 (pop.telus.net): Disconnected from host
2019.11.18 12:19:39 POP3 (pop.telus.net): End execution

Now (over the past few days)  I get the same old error.

2019.11.26 13:46:04 POP3 (pop.telus.net): [tx] USER *****
2019.11.26 13:46:04 POP3 (pop.telus.net): <rx> +OK
2019.11.26 13:46:04 POP3 (pop.telus.net): [tx] PASS *****
2019.11.26 13:46:19 POP3 (pop.telus.net): <rx> -ERR system failure: unable to lookup account via query:

LDAP error: - unable to get connection:
ldap host=: An I/O error occurred while trying to read the response from the server: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

and a few of these. 

2019.11.27 02:39:59 POP3 (pop.telus.net): -ERR Cannot connect to POP server 207.167.198.20 (207.167.198.20:110), connect error 10060 So the POP3 server is still broken. Logins continue to fail intermittently (serval times each day).Telus still seems to have no interest in fixing the issue, or even just addressing it.  

That is EXCELLENT information for troubleshooting!  Great job MrE.  If Telus techs cannot take that data and try to find where the breakdown is happening, then those techs need to be retrained.  As someone in the IT infrastructure field, I wish I had end users that would give that information on errors.  The timestamps are really what make it nice.

Well here we are approaching February 2020, and the problem with our Telus email account, corrupted about Aug 11 2019, continue. We bit the bullet months ago in the face of Telus' inability to solve the problem in a timely fashion, and now use a gmail account exclusively, so we have been able to carry on with life. Emails still incoming to the faulty Telus account are auto-forwarded to the new gmail account, during the transition while we advise people of the change, and so new stuff incoming to the old account is not lost.

Fortunately there was nothing in the corrupted account historical contents that we needed to access, so we just moved on. However a couple of months later I decided to circle back and see what the status of the account contents was. 

I have gone through the contents of our email address [email protected] via Webmail. This is the email address with the problems (since August 2019).

Our other address [email protected] is fine, and has never had a problem. However we have abandoned it as well.

I have gone through and cleaned up the contents of [email protected] as much as possible, via Webmail. Emails can be sent and received successfully from this email account, but some of the emails in the various folders are corrupted and cannot be deleted.

• Some Trash items cannot be deleted (error message)
  • Some Sent Items cannot be deleted (error message)
  • Some Draft items cannot be deleted (error message)
  • What is the purpose of the folder Recover2019?

I talked with tech support yet again, and they were (once again) of no help. They promised escalation and that someone would be in touch with me.  The contact also provided their TelusFfibre email address, to which I responded.  but 4+ days later, and still nothing.

Prior to all this Telus had been pretty solid, and we were happy. We have Optic TV, Internet, landline, email, and two cell phone services; the whole nine yards, and a significant monthly spent. Our community (Edgemont) is on copper not fibre optic, and with many of the wires and connection points flaky. We have had numerous service calls due to quality of signal (outages, flaky, etc). 75 Mb service is the best that you can do. It is likely years if ever that fibre will be installed in this community.

So with all this there is a lot of good reason to switch TV, landline, and internet over to Shaw. Telus doesn't seem to be too concerned about an account closure, and states that there is a contract penalty of $15/month of time remaining in the "contract", but there is no contract that I have ever seen or signed. And I think there would be little difficulty in taking Telus to small claims court as a matter of principal to contest any contract break charge they tried to impose, given the numerous and extended service deficiencies. To some extent my posts to this forum are intended to provide a documentation trail for any such future legal action.

The only consideration/compensation we have ever received in this whole mess is 1 month of free internet service in September 2019.

Sorry for the rant .... maybe there is info here that may help someone else in a similar situation.

@MrE wrote:

2019.11.18 12:19:25 POP3 (pop.telus.net): <rx> -ERR operation sent to wrong host (you want 'mtlp000126.email.telus.net')

This is a load balancer redirection issue!  Again excellent information!

@MrE: I looked in detail at my data since my early October posting. I have not had anymore of those LDAP errors, I had no problem the other day, when others were.

I have had 12 "-ERR internal server error"s between September 27th and October 31st.

And I still always get: -ERR deleted 1/11 message(s) due to those 10 stuck restored messages from August 9th.

This morning I's having problems getting email from my laptop using MS Outlook, seems fine on my phone.
Anyone else having issues?

I'm having the opposite problem. I haven't been able to get emails on my Blackberry since mid-August. Suddenly at 8:30am PST, my emails work again.

Webmail logoff and login from chrome browser is working for me.

Well it's a good thing they got everything working for all the Blackberry users out there!   😄

(My email seems fine now as well)

I have been having the same problem since 16th August and although I;ve spoken to Telus loads of times I just get the same answer telling me how mich they are trying to sort it out. Thet did actually admit this could go on untill Christmas and after