cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We want to switch to Telus from Shaw for our TV, internet and home phone, but the prices vry so much

K_C_D57
Neighbour

But the Variety of prices you get from the TELUS Website, depending  on which button you press is so frustrating, and how do you know if you are getting  the best price. For example: If I go to the Telus website and go to SHOP, Then go to Optik TV Column, then click on Optik TV, then on the next page you scroll down to just under the comparison to SHAW TV, you get a Pick a TV Package  and then go through all of the questions, save big for 24 months and so on. You will get a Pick 6 packages at $50 a month or Pick 8 for $70, Internet 15 & 25 for $55 and then Internet 50 for $60 a month. Then you get to Home phone and it won’t let you pick a home phone service, so the only way out is to Skip Home Phone.  So a Pick 6 and Internet 50 - $110 a month  

But if you go to Telus Website and then SHOP, then you go to the Far Right and click Deals & Bundles, answer the frustrating address, then you pick $600 of savings  button, you automatically start at $120 for your package.  For the TV packages, Pick 6 - $60, Pick 8 - $70. Then the internet packages -Internet 15 -$60, Internet 25- $65 & internet 50 – is $70. So for the same Bundle this way is much more expensive! So a Pick 6 and Internet 50 - $130 a month.      

And when you talk to a Telus Sales Rep on the phone, for the TV packages, Pick 6 - $50, Pick 8 - $80, internet 50 - $70. So a Pick 6 and Internet 50 - $120 a month. 

Then there is that stupid $7 a month charge for the 3rd device. Shaw doesn't do that. This alone is enough to make us want to stay with Shaw 

14 REPLIES 14

pbsme
Ambassador

Definitely phone and talk with them sweetly 🙂  I suspect they will give you the cheapest deal and help you get the best one for your needs. I had good results from two helpful agents in the last week, and I was even given suggestions on how I could pay less money. 

Make the decision on whether you want TELUS or Shaw, rather than focussing on those discrepancies in pricing. There could be a simple explanation, perhaps due to whether you take the deal for 2 years or not. 

I used to be with Shaw. I made the switch to have ALL my desired channels in HD, rather than some in standard definition. And now I have a handful of channels to watch in 4K!  I don’t believe Shaw has any 4K. My PVR has twice the storage capacity of Shaw’s and my 2 wireless boxes are also 4K. I get some channels that don’t exist on Shaw cable, and I have fibre optic. All this, for less than what I paid Shaw per month. 

Shaw would have to waterboard me to get me to say I’d go back!

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@pbsme wrote:

Shaw would have to waterboard me to get me to say I’d go back!

Be careful what you wish for......

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

You are definitely right about all the HD channels that Telus has vs Shaw. This is the ONLY Reason we are thinking of switching to Telus is the TV. But I went through the many options of with or without 2 yr contract and the prices vary with exact same features and options just depending on which column you go down to get your deal. It is VERY Frustrating and speaking of the 2 boxes for FREE, Talk about a money grab charging $7 for the 3rd box. Almost everyone has a 3rd TV so Telus is being greedy. We are still on the fence and it is just about the pricing. We know Telus has better TV, slower and more expensive Internet, home phone is a joke at $20 for 1 feature on a home phone, where Shaw charges me $7 for as many features as I want.  So we are struggling and I really wish some one at Telus would make us a deal we would like. It would be so simple to us, just lower the home phone a couple of dollars and eliminate the $7 charge for the extra box and  I would be with Telus tomorrow

I have PVR and 2 boxes at no additional charge, but I did take a 2 year contract. 

As for Internet speed, how fast do you need?  I have fibre 150 and stream even 4K. Recently I was told by Telus, I could save some money and go back to 75 and I would be just fine with the 4K. I have unlimited Internet, too. 

I had had no problem calling Telus twice last week, with what I would describe as no wait time. Just had to answer a few questions before talking to an agent. It’s possible I have been given a different number to call though, since I’m already a Telus customer. 

i do do love the Interface on TelusTV. I don’t need a landline, so I save on that. 

Have you tried talking with with someone in a Telus shop?

I sure wish we could edit our posts! I don’t need “had had” and “do do” 😬😬😬

@K_C_D57 wrote:

You are definitely right about all the HD channels that Telus has vs Shaw. This is the ONLY Reason we are thinking of switching to Telus is the TV. (1)But I went through the many options of with or without 2 yr contract and the prices vary with exact same features and options just depending on which column you go down to get your deal. It is VERY Frustrating (2)and speaking of the 2 boxes for FREE, Talk about a money grab charging $7 for the 3rd box. Almost everyone has a 3rd TV so Telus is being greedy. We are still on the fence and it is just about the pricing. We know Telus has better TV, slower and more expensive Internet, (3)home phone is a joke at $20 for 1 feature on a home phone, where Shaw charges me $7 for as many features as I want.  So we are struggling and I really wish some one at Telus would make us a deal we would like. It would be so simple to us, just lower the home phone a couple of dollars and (4)eliminate the $7 charge for the extra box and  I would be with Telus tomorrow

1. I'm pretty much under the impression you're leaning towards into getting the 2 year service agreement. Let me break it down for ya' First off, getting a 2 year SA, as you've mentioned, entitles you to get the 1st 2 PVR 4k Equipment boxes for free and yes again, as you said, the 3rd and/or succeeding equipment will be charged on top of your monthly bill for an additional $7.00. Did you also read in the website that, upon signing up for a 2-year service agreement, you can get a $200 one time bill credit off of you 1st bill with TELUS not to mention getting a 24month (2year) promotional discount OR a Gift of your choice (ex. a 50" Samsung 4k HDR SmartTV or a $500 TELUS VISA Prepaid Card)

If you're looking for a good deal onto this and want to test out TELUS services, you can actually. The best deal in my opinion is getting You Pick 6 bundled with High Speed 50 or even High Speed 75 and you have the option to get Unlimited Data usage for an additional $10. Also getting You Pick 6 with a bundled Internet service higher than High Speed 50 will give you an additional -$10 on you monthly bill. 

2. The $7 on top of the monthly bill, is rather justifiable I'd say. This is nothing compared onto getting onto a MTM service agreement and paying an upfront installation fee of $150 and have all 1 - 3 (or succeeding) PVR equipment be charged $7 monthly.

3. I would have to agree on you in this. However, I've heard some of my friend after bargaining with a TELUS representative, they were able to get their home phone service from $20 for 1 calling feature down to $12 or $15. I'm actually gonna call them and see if I can have the same deal.

4. Like I said, the boxes/equipment additional charge for the 3rd and/or succeeding equipment is justifiable. Please note that the PVR equipment that TELUS offers are 4k in quality. it's like watching Nemo jump out of your screen. 

Gord235
Friendly Neighbour

Good info. to know. I've been paying Shaw $173/mo for TV, Internet and Landline and they want to increase my bill to $192./mo. I talked to them and they got it down to $170./mo. Sounds like Telus could do all that and more for $140./mo. (home phone $20./mo plus Optik TV & Internet for $120./mo. = $140./mo total).

Gord235
Friendly Neighbour

pbsme,

You make a good point. I think I would prefer the better service provided by Shaw. I did manage to get my online Shaw representative down to $160./mo. for Limited (basic) TV, Internet, and Landline. Telus said they would charge $120./mo. for the same product(s). So in the end I'm paying a $40. /mo. premium for good service.

Kimi
Organizer

When you call Telus, expect to be on hold for 2-3 hours until someone gets around to it. It's been the same for years. At least Shaw has good customer service with a call back option. Both companies are ridiculously expensive and up their rates every six months so you will have to call them and threaten to cancel, then they might give you a better deal for a while. 

Gord235
Friendly Neighbour

Agree. My sons have Telus and they have to wait up to 2 hr. to get help from someone in a foreign country who they can't understand. With Shaw at least I get someone in Nanaimo who speaks English fluently. So the question is, "is it worth it to pay $30 more per month to stay with Shaw?" That's $360. per year for the "privilege" of service in English.

How many times do you have to call the provider, no matter who it is??  I've never had to wait 2 hours for a Telus Rep.  If I need to make any changes to my package, I do it myself, online.

In my opinion, Telus is much more superior then Shaw will ever be.

Gord235
Friendly Neighbour
Good for you but the general consensus is that you can expect to wait 2 hr. on average to get your issue(s) resolved with Telus.

Gord235
Friendly Neighbour

Agree. The Shaw call-back system is pretty good. For technical issues, usually the person you're speaking with knows what they're talking about and if not they'll get a knowledgeable person on the line pretty quick. I don't think I've ever had a complaint about Shaw service.

Gord235
Friendly Neighbour

So can I order tv, landline and internet from any Telus store?