cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Fiber 1.5 Gig but speed still at 1 gig

marinerbc
Organizer

Hello All,

been a happy customer using the 1 gig speed (93x/93x) download/Upload. 

two days ago i did accept an offer to upgrade to 1.5 gig , account now tagged with 1.5 gig connection.

was told it will take 30 minutes to see the higher speed .

Connection : Nokia ONT to WiFi6 router via 5 gig WAN port.  speed " ONT to internet " still at 1 gig level per above.

same as Router to Internet .

power cycled modem and reset router as well . latest router firmware in use for a while with no issues .

any ideas , help would be appreciated.

15 REPLIES 15

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Does the router you are using have gigabit ethernet ports? Does your PC have a gigabit port?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Yes on both counts, router port is 5 gig " Netgear AX 12 https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/rax120/ "

laptop/s and some other wireless clients linked to the router at 1.2 gig on the LAN side.

no more than 1 gig on the WAN side either ONT to net nor router to net.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Looking at the specs for that router, it has: 

Five (5) 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet ports + one (1) 5G/2.5G/1Gbps Multi-Gig port (configurable). 1 WAN & 4 LAN. Dual Gigabit Ethernet Port Aggregation. 5G/2.5G/1G Multi-Gig Ethernet LAN port

If I'm reading that correctly, the WAN port is gigabit only. The four other LAN ports are gigabit only. Not sure why Netgear would have added a 2.5/5gbps port on there when the LAN is limited to only gigabit.

Additionally, the vast majority of PCs only have gigabit ethernet ports. Especially laptops. So unless your laptop (or other device you try to test the ONT with) has a 2.5gbps port on it, you'll likely only see gigabit speeds.

The ONT should support more than a gigabit. Do you have the Telus provided router there still? There's usally a specific one they'll give to 1.5gbps customers, if I remember the website correctly.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

thanks for the follow up.

I thought that at first about the router , however in the manual there are two other ways to connect to a WAN with speed above 1 gig. and the assignment of such via the router configuration internet page.  as it will allow one of three options  

User manual page 30-32

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RAX120/RAX120_UM_EN.pdf?_ga=2.133849422.1527228001.16333...

1- 1 gig connection through the internet port

2- Use the aggregate of two LAN ports , 1 gig each = 2 gig " i can use two LAN ports out of the ONT.

3- Use the Port marked  5G which is up to 5 gig " i used that one " 

the router mobile app speed test is testing router to internet via "ONT" no clients involved  , thus if the line is 2.5 gig capable i should be able to see that  via the test app. but tests only go up to 1 gig 

I do not have Telus router as i did not have Optik TV,  the use of ONT only was the easiest way to set up the system.

I am happy with the 1 gig , however would love to experience the the 1,5 gig. 

iPhone 13 pro, 12 pro are connected wirelessly to the router at 1.201 gig , it will be nice to see that continue to the internet side of the router

laptops are connected via Trendnet USBC 3-1 to RJ45 ethernet 2.5 gig adapter, again i should be getting that speed if the line is 2.5 gig capable. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Considering the LAN ports on the router are gig only, anything on them will be gigabit regardless of the NIC or adapter on the computer end. 

The ONT only has ONE port enabled so you'd only be able to get a signal on a single port. If your phone is getting 1.2gbps, then the speed of the connection is likely 1.5gbps overall. Your router is the limiting factor still for ethernet. You'd need a more expensive router with 2.5+gbps ports on it instead of plain gigabit but those aren't too common yet.

The one disclaimer on Telus' site previously (having trouble finding the exact page it was on) did state something along the lines of that for1.5gbps connections that no one single device on a gigabit LAN port will see 1.5gbps but more than one device connecting at the same time can reach a combined total up to 1.5gbps.

The netgear RAX120 is capable of 5Gig WAN connection,  so it is not the router that is for sure.

on its LAN side i can connect with couple of iPhone at 1.2 gig so to me the line still at 1gig since the ONT is capable of 2.5gig

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

A gigabit fibre connection will have a maximum of 940mbps as the total download speed on the WAN. If you are seeing 1.2gbps on a speed test on even a single device then yes, your connection is 1.5gbps.

You appear to be confusing wireless LAN and the physical LAN. A new iPhone supports Wifi 6 which is capable of over 1gbps given the correct router and ideal conditions. That is a wireless connection. If you combined all the antennae in the RAX120 it can do 6gbps but you'll never see that on a single connected device.

Ethernet ports are a physical connection. The SINGLE ethernet port on the back of the RAX120 router is capable of up to a 5gbps connection. The other FIVE ports on the back of the router are physically capable of only a GIGABIT connection. The router manufacturer even states as much on their website and other advertising materials. Any device physically connected with an ethernet cable to one of the gigabit LAN ports will only get a maximum of a gigabit connection only. That is the physical limitation of the RAX120 router.

If you wanted a router with all LAN ports capable of over a gigabit, they are far far more expensive than the RAX120. I haven't seen a 2.5gbps router yet, though I'm sure they're coming eventually. 10gbit routers and switches do exist but are typically a commercial product and carry a price tag to match ($2000+ CAD). Most places that run 10gbit run fibre and not ethernet.

there are no confusion at all , what i am seeing on the client /s page of the router is the wireless LAN connection between the client " phone/s ..etc " and router is 1201 MB , so the router is capable of the AX 1200 wireless standard no question there,

the router has a 5G WAN capable port once i resolve the ONT/ SFP/+ issue i will be getting the 1.5 gb, on the WAN side

after research and chatting with one smart technical support  agent now we came to know the problem,

the ONT Nokia G 240-A 

Alcatel-Lucent 7368 ISAM ONT G-440G-A (goamt.com)

is capable 

GPON network interface
• Compliant with G.984.x GPON standards
• SFF-type laser, SC/APC connector
• 1.244 G burst mode upstream transmitter
• 2.488 G downstream receiver

It does not use SFP module so the agent said its capped at 1 gig.

And then?..........

Did they finally give you the proper ONT/Router? ie the NH20A? This is quite an old thread, did you get this resolved? Did you finally see greater than 1Gbps on the WAN side of the router's internal speed test? It is correct that the LAN ports will only see max 1000Mbps, but the Multi-gig port is 2.5 and should see greater than 940Mbps (Telus 1Gbps plan) as you are on Telus 1.5Gbps plan. It was just the wrong ONT/Router they gave or left you with. The old G-240G-A only has 1Gbe ethernet LAN ports, as mentioned. The NH20A has one (1) 10Gbe SFP port that can feed a router. Though all the ethernet LAN ports on the NH20A router are active, they're only 1Gbe also. but you don't need those to feed your AX1200 2.5 Multi-gig port, you just need the proper compatible SFP to SFP modules with ethernet cable for 2.5Gbe rated tx.

2022-04-11_17-15-36.png

2022-04-11_17-17-11.png

So no, correction, I believe the ports on the RAX120 and the NH20A are not SFP, but just 10GBase-T regular ethernet shielded modules. Though it does look thinner than the LAN ports, but it does not look like the SFP ports I've seen.

10GBASE-T, or IEEE 802.3an-2006, is a standard released in 2006 to provide 10 Gbit/s connections over unshielded or shielded twisted pair cables, over distances up to 100 metres (330 ft).[43] Category 6A is required to reach the full distance and category 6 may reach up to 55 metres (180 ft) depending on the quality of installation. 10GBASE-T cable infrastructure can also be used for 1000BASE-T allowing a gradual upgrade from 1000BASE-T using autonegotiation to select which speed is used. Due to additional line coding overhead, 10GBASE-T has a slightly higher latency (2 to 4 microseconds) in comparison to most other 10GBASE variants (1 microsecond or less). In comparison, 1000BASE-T latency is 1 to 12 microseconds (depending on packet size[d]).[44][45]

10GBASE-T uses the IEC 60603-7 8P8C modular connectors already widely used with Ethernet. Transmission characteristics are now specified to 500 MHz. To reach this frequency Category 6A or better balanced twisted pair cables specified in ISO/IEC 11801 amendment 2 or ANSI/TIA-568-C.2 are needed to carry 10GBASE-T up to distances of 100 m. Category 6 cables can carry 10GBASE-T for shorter distances when qualified according to the guidelines in ISO TR 24750 or TIA-155-A.

"So no, correction, I believe the ports on the RAX120 and the NH20A are not SFP, but just 10GBase-T regular ethernet shielded modules"

I meant the ONE port. the 5/2.5/1GbE port and the ONE WAN LAN 10GbE port on the NH20A.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The 10GbE port on the NH20A is LAN not WAN.

Correct, my bad, I was still thinking the NH20A was acting only like the Nokia ONT. (but I know it is not) But you're right in correcting me, It is also the router.

But what is curious to me is, why does the 5G/2.5G/G port on the RAX120 look different in size? It doesn't look like an SFP port. and it's smaller looking than the other LAN ports.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The 5G/etc port on the RAX120 is a standard RJ45 and is the same physical size as the rest of them. The metal shield around the opening is not as tall likely to give it a visual differentiation from the other ports. 

If you click on the picture here I posted, and look at it under zoom, you can see that it "looks" less tall (the opening, not just the shielding), it looks shallower, for some reason. It's weird if its only an optical illusion. A rendering and not a real physical photograph of the router, possibly. 

Maybe the tolerances of the fit are much tighter in order to make a near perfect fix for shield contact integrity. For quality CAT7/8 cables