cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undestanding Telus equipment connection options : wired or wireless?

Tristimulus
Friendly Neighbour

Hi,

I'm planning to switch from Shaw Internet (150/15) + Basic TV and Phone to Telus for Internet (250/250 pure fiber), Light TV and Lite home Phone.

Current Shaw set up is using coaxial cables from garage to 4 TVs on 3 different levels and WiFi modem/router and 1 access point

Telus ONT should be in the garage, because it is a natural entry point for the cable and regular phone and all other places are finished and there is no utility room in the house.

Telus is offering with this package:

1. Advanced WiFi Modem (T3200M I assume)

There is an option to buy 2 boosters for 120$.  How boosters should be connected to T3200M by wire or they can be connected wirelessly?

2. Optik 4k PVR

To which device it should be connected to ONT or to T3200M and how (by wire or wirelessly)?

My issue with Telus setup is: There is no ethernet wire from garage to great room where main TV and Shaw modem is located, only coaxial cable and everything is finished from garage to Great Room (40 feet or so, because of the entrance and corridor between garage and great room, so making wired connection is not an easy task, so If I can connect PVR and Telus Boost Wifi to T3200M wirelessly it will be great (no need to run wires)

Is it possible?

Thanks for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

One booster needs to be connnected to the T3200M with an Ethernet cable.

If the ONT is placed in the garage, and not in the Great Room, you have a couple of choices:

1. Ask if Telus can use your current coax between the ONT and your Great Room. Set up your network as it is now.
  2. Put the ONT, T3200M, and one booster, in the garage, and ask Telus to use your existing coax for the PVR. All other connectivity will be from the T3200M or one of the two boosters.
  3. Put the ONT, T3200M, PVR, and one booster, in the garage, and run your TV from a wireless set top box in your Great Room. Note: 40 feet is a long distance for high quality Wi-Fi. Place your devices as close th the main use areas as possible.
  4. Find the means to get Ethernet to a central location in your house, and set up parallel to your current situation.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

One booster needs to be connnected to the T3200M with an Ethernet cable.

If the ONT is placed in the garage, and not in the Great Room, you have a couple of choices:

1. Ask if Telus can use your current coax between the ONT and your Great Room. Set up your network as it is now.
  2. Put the ONT, T3200M, and one booster, in the garage, and ask Telus to use your existing coax for the PVR. All other connectivity will be from the T3200M or one of the two boosters.
  3. Put the ONT, T3200M, PVR, and one booster, in the garage, and run your TV from a wireless set top box in your Great Room. Note: 40 feet is a long distance for high quality Wi-Fi. Place your devices as close th the main use areas as possible.
  4. Find the means to get Ethernet to a central location in your house, and set up parallel to your current situation.

NFtoBC

Tristimulus
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks NFtoBC for suggestions

I'm surprised that telus can use coaxial cable for tv and internet.

It can be only one problem, I read what coaxial cable may have upper limit for maximal speed.

But it is nice to have an option.

It looks like from your answer that PVR is connected to ONT?

There is another option to move data between garage and Great room:

Use Ethernet over Power lines (EOP). The latest devices allowing at least about 300mbps, so this can be option to doing Ethernet wiring in the house.

Also for PureFiber 250/250, will Optik tv in 4K decrease maximal speed from 250/250 to 225/250?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Tristimuluswrote:

Thanks NFtoBC for suggestions

I'm surprised that telus can use coaxial cable for tv and internet.

It can be only one problem, I read what coaxial cable may have upper limit for maximal speed.

But it is nice to have an option.

They use a device (MOCA Adapter) to convert the Ethernet to Coax and back. My first choice would be to have Telus run the Fibre to the Great room, even over the outside of the building.

It looks like from your answer that PVR is connected to ONT?

No, it is connected to the T3200M.

There is another option to move data between garage and Great room:

Use Ethernet over Power lines (EOP). The latest devices allowing at least about 300mbps, so this can be option to doing Ethernet wiring in the house.

Others have had poor success with power line adapters. Use search to dig around.

Also for PureFiber 250/250, will Optik tv in 4K decrease maximal speed from 250/250 to 225/250?

No, TV is delivered independent of your internet stream on Fibre. However, don't expect to see full utility of 250, as most services can't deliver anywhere near that speed. You might see utility downloading ISO from Microsoft, or OS from Apple, and the like, but for the rest, there is not much difference between 25/25 and 250/250. Higher speed connections have more utility for larger households.

NFtoBC

Tristimulus
Friendly Neighbour

I understand any additional devices between fiber and t3200M will increase risk of failure and will use more power.

I will discuss possible options with technician during installation and if fiber to Great Room is feasible, I will use that option

I know EOP has very shaky review in real life scenarios, I need to be cautious by relaying only on it, also this is the same as coaxial usage. More devices more points of failure.

I know in real life 250/250 will not make everything to be downloaded at that speed, because most of the servers are much slower, but at least latency will be low for my sons online gaming sessions during evening time.

Thanks,