cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ugly Instalation

Maccsyd
Just Moved In

CB405B86-E120-4372-95E7-26A5CD3CFF08.jpegHad Internet upgraded and Optik TV installled whilst I was away and this is the mess I came back too!!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@giantbrownguy,

To make it easiest, run the Ethernet to the location you want the ONT placed first, so all the tech needs do is move the ONT and reposition / replace the fibre line. You'll also want to be sure there is an outlet available to power the ONT.

Telus may charge a fee to move the ONT, I'm not sure.

In the interim attaching the ONT to the wall wire it currently sits may be a simple do-it-yourself task, and may provide peace of mind until it is moved to its new location.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I take it you do not have a utility cabinet, basement, or other minimally finished space? The ONT needs to be affixed to the wall, and left immobile so the Fibre cable does not get damaged by the homeowner.  Everything attached to the yellow Ethernet cable can be moved to a location satisfactory to you.

NFtoBC

@NFtoBC does the ONT have to be installed on the wall? The house I bought had fibre installed before I purchased and they just left the equipment lying on the floor. I’m running Ethernet to the garage in a couple of weeks to move my extended and improve coverage. Any thoughts (from you or anyone) if telus would come and move the fibre out there? My daughter (1.5) attacks my TV unit and I’m afraid she’s going to grab the box at some point.

@giantbrownguy wrote:
@NFtoBCdoes the ONT have to be installed on the wall? The house I bought had fibre installed before I purchased and they just left the equipment lying on the floor. I’m running Ethernet to the garage in a couple of weeks to move my extended and improve coverage. Any thoughts (from you or anyone) if telus would come and move the fibre out there? My daughter (1.5) attacks my TV unit and I’m afraid she’s going to grab the box at some point.

Yes, the ONT is usually installed on the wall, at least from the installation pics I've seen. It just depends how your main network setup is currently set up. But usually they will install the ONT on the wall. You can also get the modem/router combo (the T3200M) installed on the wall too if you want via a wall mount. To do that if you get a technician to come out to your home, just talk to them about it.

With regards to the fibre stuff, they probably wouldn't mind moving the fibre optic stuff moved as long as it can be reasonably moved out there.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@giantbrownguy,

To make it easiest, run the Ethernet to the location you want the ONT placed first, so all the tech needs do is move the ONT and reposition / replace the fibre line. You'll also want to be sure there is an outlet available to power the ONT.

Telus may charge a fee to move the ONT, I'm not sure.

In the interim attaching the ONT to the wall wire it currently sits may be a simple do-it-yourself task, and may provide peace of mind until it is moved to its new location.

NFtoBC

Good call. Attaching the wall is an idea but there’s so many cables under my media unit that is rather see if I can get telus to move it. It’s just a hot mess down there.

Lola
Rockstar

Lol -- funny, but not. My husband is a retired electronics installer; I showed him your picture just now and he cringed. Cat LOL No excuse for a professional to leave a tangled mess behind.

KamranMackey
Friendly Neighbour

@Lola wrote:

Lol -- funny, but not. My husband is a retired electronics installer; I showed him your picture just now and he cringed. Cat LOL No excuse for a professional to leave a tangled mess behind.

Honestly you can only do so much in a cramped area like the one shown in the picture. Our installation isn't the best looking either, however it is in a laundry room mostly hidden away except for when laundry is done, so it isn't a big concern. It could look better yes but it's not a major deal breaker and our Internet service works really well, so as such there's not really any point beating around a dead bush. However if I could I would redo the installation and properly hide it away, but since I don't have the resources to do so our installation will remain the same for now, which like I said earlier, isn't a major issue.

If you think they are professionals installing this equipment, you are very wrong. I worked for a sub-contracted company under Telus and the only person on the crew who had any sort of experience or training was myself, (I am a 4th year electrician). The entire crew, besides myself and the boss, was comprised of phillipino people (great people), who told me their last jobs were at Wendy’s, gas stations, etc. Telus hires companies to do this work for as cheap as they can get it and if you think these “technicians” are experienced in any way, they are not. They do not care about appearance, they are told to get it done as quick as possible for as cheap as possible.

DHilscher
Neighbour

Eww, I would not want that mess in my house! I had it installed in garage and then run up to router in house much cleaner 😉 Technician even took the extra time to set it up so it still runs back to switch in basement and then run to rest of house with ethernet. If your house is prewired with ethernet throughout it's the only way to go!

Fisherguy
Ambassador

If you didn't provide something for them to put the equipment in what did you expect?  Maybe you shoulda been there when they installed it?

I think they did a nice job actually, and it looks to be behind a TV anyhow so you're not going to see it.

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Looking at the picture... would the installation look cleaner if the yellow cable was not holding up the other cables?

1. Can the yellow cable be temporarily disconnected
  2. let the other cables fall in position
  3. then reconnect the yellow cable?