cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus optik on edgerouter

Avengers93
Friendly Neighbour
I have telus gigabit internet and planning on getting optik tv. Currenty i have an edgerouter lite 3 plugged directly into the Nokia ONT and then a switch handling an AP and wired local network. I understand that optik tv needs the t3200m router and I want to avoid routing on this box. I have seen numerous forums on this matter. I am thinking of doing something like this?
ONT>Edgerouter>Switch>T3200M>Optik TV
I can put the T3200M in a switch port and let it route for the optik tv. Will this work? I want to add that i have a ubiquiti wirless ap so I dont need anything from the t3200m other than optik tv compatibility
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Your way would work but then you have to get the Edgerouter to allow OptikTV traffic to the T3200M.  By default the Edgerouter would block that traffic (IGMP if I recall correctly) - so you would be left having to modify the default Edgerouter firewall using CLI etc.  I did investigate doing just that - there is fairly good information on the Ubiquiti website and in the their Community ... but in the end it was rather complicated for little payoff.  It seemed better to in effect just allow Telus to do its thing with the T3200M for OptikTV ... and then if something goes wrong they can't blame you and your Edgerouter 🙂

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

rc
Rockstar

have you looked at this discussion Use your own router

Avengers93
Friendly Neighbour
I have and all threads keep on pointing to different threads. I would start digging down into different options if someone confirms my setup would not work

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Try ONT > Switch > split to Edgerouter and T3200M. You will get two independent IP adddresses from TELUS, and can keep your nets separate.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Avengers93
Friendly Neighbour

That makes sense. I wasn't aware that the ONT can handout two IP addresses. I will give this a try after the optik tv installation is complete.

I use the setup as above  ONT > Switch > split to Edgerouter ER-X and T3200M.  The T3200M only handles the Optik TV and the ER-X handles my network both wired and an UniFi Lite for wireless.  Works perfectly.

Avengers93
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks all for the input and while it all makes sense can someone tell me why my way won’t work just for informational purposes because on paper I dont see why it shouldn’t.
ONT>Edgerouter>Switch>T3200M>Optik TV

Your way would work but then you have to get the Edgerouter to allow OptikTV traffic to the T3200M.  By default the Edgerouter would block that traffic (IGMP if I recall correctly) - so you would be left having to modify the default Edgerouter firewall using CLI etc.  I did investigate doing just that - there is fairly good information on the Ubiquiti website and in the their Community ... but in the end it was rather complicated for little payoff.  It seemed better to in effect just allow Telus to do its thing with the T3200M for OptikTV ... and then if something goes wrong they can't blame you and your Edgerouter 🙂

Avengers93
Friendly Neighbour
This is what i was looking for. Thank you