cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus PureFibre All Inbound Ports Blocked in Bridge Mode

d42
Just Moved In

I recently got PureFibre internet installed but the connection only partially works.

I need to use my own router with the connection and I have set the T3200M to bridge mode and connected my router to port 1. All inbound connections to my router fail. I confirmed that it wasn't my router by running nmap from an external server and doing a packet capture on my switch's monitor port, which show no packets.

Port forwarding on the T3200M does work as expected with inbound connections working. In order to rule out a modem issue, I bypassed the modem by connecting the GPON SFP directly to my switch and I have the same issue.

I am not using Telus for phone or IPTV.

To summarize:
- T3200M in gateway mode: inbound connections successful

- T3200M port 1 bridge mode: inbound connections fail

- SFP direct: inbound connections fail

Calling tech support was unhelpful. Does anyone have a contact with Telus support who can help fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jordan_Labelle
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

I've seen these used in bridge mode numerous times with no issues. Then again, scenarios I have seen involved a 4port ONT, not using the SFP. When its in bridge mode, is the device connecting to port 1 getting a public IP?

Jordan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Jordan_Labelle
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

I've seen these used in bridge mode numerous times with no issues. Then again, scenarios I have seen involved a 4port ONT, not using the SFP. When its in bridge mode, is the device connecting to port 1 getting a public IP?

Jordan

@Jordan_Labelle The device was getting a public IP in all situations. However, when in bridge mode or bare SFP, there was a router on the 10.x.x.x network upstream of my network that was doing NAT that shouldn't be there.

After several calls to support, I finally found someone who was willing to escalate it to someone else who knew what they were talking about. According to all of the other support people, there was literally no one working at Telus who understood how the network works.

They didn't specifically say that they'd found a problem, but at some point during the call while I was on hold, things "magically" started working fine, so I'm guessing the tech noticed something wrong and fixed it. Could have just been a coincidence as well.

Sidenote, using the SFP directly in a switch or media converter works fine.

If you feel up to it, PM me the ticket number or address related to your service so I can see what they did. More curious than anything. I can guarantee you no one on a phone call can make changes to the route path that impacts thousand of clients so unless they pushed some kind of remote config (ie firmware update) would be quite surprised if they could fix it right on the call vs a fluke.

Jordan

jrueger
Ambassador

What happens when you connect your switch/router to Port 1 on the GPON?  From what you describe the common point of failure so far is actually your own equipment ...