cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV & Internet over one cat v for my shop.

Jamjam
Neighbour
I have a cat v cable that goes out to my shop. When I plug the cable in the router and a patch cable from the LAN port to my optic box the internet net works but the tv won't work. When I plug the cat v cable from my house straight into the optic box in my shop the tv works but I have no way getting internet. Side not, i also have a Coax cable out to my shop.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

A switch has worked for others. Maybe a higher quality Gigabit switch is needed?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Are you using a separate router from the Telus one or just the Telus provided router?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

It's a seperate router. A N150 belkin model: F9k1001v1.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Believe that router does not support multicast which is what Optik tv needs to work. @Chicnstu offered you up some good suggestions.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
You could also use a switch, with one output to the TV, and another to the router or an Access Point.
NFtoBC

I tried that earlier and it didn't work.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

A switch has worked for others. Maybe a higher quality Gigabit switch is needed?

NFtoBC

I tried a higher quality network switch from my networking panel out in my shop. Both the internet and telus optic worked great plugged into it. Thanks.

Chicnstu
Leader

Sounds like the router in your shop is not compatible with multicast which is required for Optik TV to work properly. You'll either need to use a proper multicast router or you can use that coax line. If the box is just a normal HD box you can plug the coax in to the back of it and make sure the other end of the coax is plugged in to the Telus modem in the house. If it's a 4k box you can still use the coax but you'll need a Moca adapter on the end of it as the 4k boxes only have ethernet ports.