cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoke Alarm interconnection

KenJ
Neighbour

Our Smoke Alarm system was chirping.  Usually this means that the batteries in the alarms need replacing. We did that. Still chirping. Then the alarm began to talk; it said "Low Battery in Server".  Sure enough, the battery in the Telus fibre optic panel was showing a red light indicating that the back-up battery needed to be replaced.  Telus send a technician very promptly. He replaced the battery. The chirping and the message stopped. (We had removed the smoke alarms while we waited for the technician so that we could sleep)  

So, my question is this: can anyone explain the connection between the smoke alarm system and the Telus Fibre Optic service. Even the technician was at a loss on this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm assuming this is the model you have in your home. It's the only talking one with an AA battery backup. That alarm itself can't physically connect to a phone line. Are your smoke/CO2 alarms monitored with a home alarm system that's tied in to the alarms? The Kidde RemoteLync products appear to operate over wifi.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Since Google is at a loss to identify your smoke alarm, care to share what you have and how it's hooked up? It doesn't sound like any residential system I've come across. How has the system been connected to the phone line / the fiber optic?

Do you have home phone service over fiber optic as well?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thank you for taking an interest in our question.  The smoke and carbon dioxide detectors are from Kidde. We have a landline that is separate from the Wi-Fi system supported by Telus. Our smart phones work through the Telus Wi-Fi. system as does our laptop.   Our house was new construction two years ago, so the alarm system meets the regulations in place at that time. The alarms are wired into mains power with each unit having AA batteries for backup when mains power is down. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

A model number for the Kidde smoke / CO detector would be helpful. Do you also have a Kidde RemoteLink product? It might interconnect with other devices in your home.

As an aside, only Fibre installs including telephone connectivity include the battery backup - straight Internet / TV does not include the battery backup. I'm wondering if the smoke detector is/was interconnected to your phone line.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm assuming this is the model you have in your home. It's the only talking one with an AA battery backup. That alarm itself can't physically connect to a phone line. Are your smoke/CO2 alarms monitored with a home alarm system that's tied in to the alarms? The Kidde RemoteLync products appear to operate over wifi.

Yes, that is the model and the optical fibre from the outside feeds right to the panel in the house; there is no copper wire. There is a home alarm system that uses the land line (I think) to summon help if there is an intrusion. 

I think what I need to do now is talk to the electricians who wired the house smoke and CO2 alarm system. 

Thank you for your help. 

rc
Rockstar

The type of smoke detector you have can communicate with other similar alarms over a common 110v circuit.  So there could be a communication path between the telus ups unit and the smoke alarm.