cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart sockets

reneeazDaryl
Coach

I had a Telus extender which showed me the 2.4 and 5g separately    I was able to hook up my Teckin SP 10 smart  sockets.  The extender has been removed by a TELUS technician due to problems it was causing  and apparently he thought we no longer need it. Now I only have the one name for my router and it does not show the separated 2.4 and 5G. This is a problem because now the smart plugs will no longer  Connect through the Smart Life app and Alexa.  They will not pick it up automatically and they require the 2.4 G. Is there anyway around this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Count your 5GHz devices and your 2.4GHz devices. Keep the SSID for the band with the most devices and create the new SSID for the band with the fewer devices when turning off smart steering.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, if you turn off SmartSteering in the Wi-Fi Admin panel of your router, it will create separate 2.4 and 5G Wi-Fi SSID, and you should be able to reconnect your devices. 

The Telus Boost device is a better choice, though!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

What will then happen to all my other devices such as  iPhone, iPad and computer that are hooked up right now to the router before being separated out. I am trying to avoid having to re-establish everything in the house back on the Internet if we do as you suggest. Thank you 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, you would need to connect your other devices to the new SSID. It would be a one time effort for each device.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Thanks.  I am also wondering if you could suggest smart plugs that will actually connect to my wifi as it is now

in smart select.

Count your 5GHz devices and your 2.4GHz devices. Keep the SSID for the band with the most devices and create the new SSID for the band with the fewer devices when turning off smart steering.