cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shaw upgrading internet from 150/300 to 300/600 for free

mrhector
Organizer

So looks like Shaw is automatically upgrading the internet speeds on the 150 and 300 plans to 300 and 600. Looking at you Telus. 

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-17572

60 REPLIES 60

You are correct , the rest of the internet and sites you use don't suddenly get faster

If you buy a sports car that can go 320kph you're still going to arrive home at the same time as you did on your Toyota Camry during rush hour lmao

Internet is the same. .I have had 1.5, 3, 7, 15, 25, 50Mbps internet only, I've always managed to download a ton,

The only way that a 300Mbps could help you is of you have data you're trying to receive from a known commercial high speed connector ie Microsoft.com, Google.com etc.

Majority of websites don't have those deep pockets. Even those big guys load balance.

What plans on telus are unlimited? I have shaw and telus, shaw is unlimited , telus charges me 15$ extra per month for unlimited

For anyone who does not consume their cap, their usage is effectively unlimited. While unlimited data sounds like a wonderful thing, if Telus sets the cap at a level where the great majority of customers never reach that level of consumption, unlimited has value only for high usage users.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

I was always hitting or going over then150 cap when they had that, now I'm hitting the 300,

My point is I don't want effective unlimited, I want actual unlimited.

Also I don't want to pay 150 a mo just for internet , to get higher caps, when all their competitors offer
Actual unlimited even at 15mbps.

My networks at both houses are optimised and customized.

Oh stop your complaining if you wanna use your own **bleep** router than disable the WiFi on the modem and use your own its not that hard,  and BTW Shaw cable is a rip off and horrible TV experience I Guess if you still own Tube tvs they work the best since they only have maybe 40 HD channels

The other thing fibre is not a better online experience either it is bull**bleep** ping between shaw and telus are about the same hands down 

Hahahahah, What? Since when can shaw touch Telus' upload speed with their coax network? Fiber is far superior for upload speeds, and ping as well. Without the upload speed difference, the difference between the two would be basically nothing, but as long as Telus is symmetrical they win.

Here are two ping tests I just ran on my Telus and my Shaw connection. Although both are really great pings, but Telus is clearly lower.

Shaw:

Shaw Ping.PNG

Telus:

TelusPing.PNG

I've been with Telus ever since I could get Fiber in my neighborhood (Shaw is superior in every way to Telus DSL, so I never bothered with that), and I've been with Shaw for over 10 years. I can tell you that without a doubt, Telus fiber is better than Shaw's connection in every way.

Over the last two years, my Telus line had 5 minutes of downtime, at 3am. Over the same length of time, my Shaw connection has had 12 outages, mostly overnight, but also a couple during the day, one outage lasting for 2 hours.

I don't really find either of these outage periods unacceptable (especially considering the 2hour Shaw outage was during a storm), just again, Telus clearly wins.

Bull**bleep** i tested my shaw against Telus and telus lost the ping was even or shaw was better you guys and your green jello 

If you notice in February they have upgraded guide to be all black for people like you complain they can see,  also Ill take Optik tv anyday over crappy cable with Shaw with minimum HD Channels and Old outdated Equipment, Glad we don't have shaw, ive been to peoples houses and there TV is a joke

@YouNoIt wrote:

From my experience i should never of left Shaw telus sucks in every way tv guide is horrible ,tv picture quality all most as good as youtube .gaming lag not any better and ping times are the same as cable what is so great about fibre i see nothing !!! 

7850130282.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-03 at 17.56.05.png

gaming lag not any better and ping times are the same as cable what is so great about fibre i see nothing

What are your ping times with Telus? The ping times you are getting on Shaw are pretty good, and I see that those tests were taken today so I assume you still have both connections. The download speed is pretty inconsistent though, You should be getting consistently >300mbps unless you are in an area with a saturated node. Can you run a speed test on the Telus connection? As I have mentioned previously, the most obvious advantage that Telus fiber has over Shaw is the upload speed, but seeing as you are getting such inconsistent download speed results on Shaw, another benefit for you would likely be getting the advertised speed more often. You're are getting only 16Mbps upload on Shaw, you should get around 300Mbps on Telus.

tv guide is horrible ,tv picture quality all most as good as youtube

While I can't comment on the guide, as I have not personally had TV service in over 10 years, I can tell you that comparing TV quality to Youtube is a bit silly. Youtube, for the most part, has better picture quality than TV. >4K resolution is supported on Youtube, while last time I checked, most TV channels are still broadcasting at 1080i/p. Shaw has no 4K boxes to my knowledge, and although Telus seems to, I doubt very many channels support that resolution.

@Kolby_G wrote:

gaming lag not any better and ping times are the same as cable what is so great about fibre i see nothing

What are your ping times with Telus? The ping times you are getting on Shaw are pretty good, and I see that those tests were taken today so I assume you still have both connections. The download speed is pretty inconsistent though, You should be getting consistently >300mbps unless you are in an area with a saturated node. Can you run a speed test on the Telus connection? As I have mentioned previously, the most obvious advantage that Telus fiber has over Shaw is the upload speed, but seeing as you are getting such inconsistent download speed results on Shaw, another benefit for you would likely be getting the advertised speed more often. You're are getting only 16Mbps upload on Shaw, you should get around 300Mbps on Telus.

tv guide is horrible ,tv picture quality all most as good as youtube

While I can't comment on the guide, as I have not personally had TV service in over 10 years, I can tell you that comparing TV quality to Youtube is a bit silly. Youtube, for the most part, has better picture quality than TV. >4K resolution is supported on Youtube, while last time I checked, most TV channels are still broadcasting at 1080i/p. Shaw has no 4K boxes to my knowledge, and although Telus seems to, I doubt very many channels support that resolution.

I will post on Friday its when Talus will come to connect me to. inconsistent - it was good until upgrade. Their Cable Modems both have chip problem PUMA 6 and 7 and as it  seem have no fix for almost 3 years now the higher stream become more problem connection will have. I just when to see my neighbors speeds on TELUS which is done FTTH - He has 3 4K boxes 2 4K TVs like I do He has both streams at 357~385  so TELUS can beat Shaw, if they want to any day. There is no question of IF , but as to WHEN. Since in my area multi-use condo in Calgary will be gating 1000 down/up I know it will come latest is in 2019.

Dear Telus,

Please match ASAP,  thanks. Recently converted long time shaw customer! Pure Fiber FTW, time to show up those dweebs!

Thanks!

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Telus already blows them away on upload speeds and download in some areas already. Things will only get better as TELUS keeps expanding FTTH.

I read somewhere (probably here) that TELUS is testing 1Gbps and even 10Gbps service over Fiber.  If that's true, they should no issues beating Shaw at this offer.

Here's to hoping (raised mug)!

@Paul_C wrote:

I read somewhere (probably here) that TELUS is testing 1Gbps and even 10Gbps service over Fiber.  If that's true, they should no issues beating Shaw at this offer.

They had 1Gbps offered for a while but it wasn't symmetrical (950/300 IIRC). I see it has since been taken off the site, but from what I understand you can still order it.

I would gladly volunteer to be part of the 10Gbps beta test if it was available in my area. Having my WAN connection as fast as my LAN would be simply amazing.

@Kolby_G wrote:

@Paul_C wrote:

They had 1Gbps offered for a while but it wasn't symmetrical (950/300 IIRC). I see it has since been taken off the site, but from what I understand you can still order it.

I would gladly volunteer to be part of the 10Gbps beta test if it was available in my area. Having my WAN connection as fast as my LAN would be simply amazing.

They do offer 1 Gbps in British Columbia

Its coming to Alberta soon from what I see out of my house and how they were  installing infrastructure in our brand new community. I would asume mt community will get 1Gbps first in whole of Calgary by the size of their investment. Its Jaw drooping Shaw is Calgary based but even they try to do their upgrades insanely slow. I voiced my opinion on Shaw to community developer snd to the area manager. Asking to look into Telus. So they found a way to bring  it to  my street  by starting project at Westman Village. I don't know and don't care if Shaw Lost Franchising deal/ Their prices were insane and so builder give me Welcome Home promo code for a year. But its seems as if you sign for franchising deal with Sgaw they in long term start to milk new homeowners with crazy prices. My previous home had Purefibre and showed area manager speeds I am getting and so 3 weeks later when even my hose was in planing stage they made a deal with Telus to bring their infrastructure in the area.

http://westmanvillage.com/assets/Uploads/TELUS-Westman-Village-Resident-Offer-Latest.pdf

Its good when your builder listen to you and to your voice on such amazing level. Of course iit all depends on Sales manager but our guy was nothing but a hero in our book.

On Telus end escalation team was amazing as well though the might hate me because I called them nearly every month to speed up process orto ask why one team is done and other didn't come to do its job. Next morning, after I  call there is an army of construction crew, even on weekends. They probably hate me in infrustructure planining and call centre. But hey I did it for greater good....  Cat WinkSmiley Very Happy

Fiber is a cloth why are you using cloth?

Fibre is optical cable, use that it will work much better for data.

Then go back to shaw, what's keeping you here? Some of us want a direct connection vs a shared connection, many of us also realise that upload speed is important to us.

If all you do is download or watch streams or social media at odd hours when the fee blocks around you are offline, then you'll benefit more from shaw. As your download will exceed the speeds you are paying for.

With telus or any dsl style network you've a direct connection back to their server, instead of the ring style that cable modem companies use.

Search
cable modem vs dsl modem or dsl vs cable

After some months of being away from shaw or telus , they will literally pay you hundreds to switch back.

Kirstenn
Friendly Neighbour

I saw the same thing and was wondering myself!  Following as I am interested in the response.