Shaw upgrading internet from 150/300 to 300/600 for free

respublica
Resident

II swicthed to Telus from Shaw due to move to a new condo. Speedtest results mostly ping of 8 and download speed of 25. BTW, I am using Telus 150. Today after reading all these discussions, I did another test and suddenly I have this. Telus is listening? Thank you Telus

speedtestDec7.PNG

valiaig
Advocate

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 22.28.50.png

Switched today They also now have 750/750 Plan and 1 Gbit with a deal for 95$ for 2 years in Calgary  Its nice to be back to TELUS FAMILY!
Never knew T3200M can work in SFP10 Mode  I gues it means 10 Gigabit and now no ONT. Fibre Optic Cable goes straight to Advanced router. One of the cleanest install I have ever seen. Tech even removed coax cables to clean up clutter and put even my equipment in good spot and secured to the wall which was nice of him.

valiaig
Advocate

SFP+ to be precise.
Did 1000 speed test s today was trying to squeeze   1 ms Ping...  it stuck on god bless ZERO I couldn't believe my eyes... 4K is nice guide is very responsive . For first few hours there was slight delay between STBs but I guess  it was adjusting to the network and 3 hour after setup delay vanished. No more blur or fade on YouTube or Netflix which Shaw does have wheb I watch videos on mobile phone or tablet Shaw had fade and bluer slight but visible .

mrhector
Connector

Too bad Telus hasn't responded in price.  Now I'm really wondering if upload speed is worth it.  I just signed up for 2 years with Telus on the 300/300 for $70 a month, but looks like I can get the 300 down for $50 a month or 600 down for $68 since they are doubling the speeds and including the $250 credit.  Even with the contract, I'd make up the cancellation fee in the first year and save another $240 on the second year. 

shaw.jpg

valiaig
Advocate

Actually they did: (This in Calgary and they told me to call Wednesday-Friday  to see if I can get upgraded at loyalty level since I just switched to them)
Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 19.38.39.png

Highlighted
bb123
Connector

I asked Telus about this through a chat and here was the response:

"Ok, I have checked our documentation for the new plan tiers, and I'm afraid that we do not currently have plans to double up on speeds in the same way that Shaw did. I'm very sorry about that, as it's surely not the answer that you were hoping for."

Ubetiam
Resident

I followed up with TELUS today (Dec 10) and it appears now TELUS wont be matching Shaw's doubling of 150/300... or so Frontline Care has been told.

The rep was eager to sell me TELUS 750 - but as an average household... 300 is sufficient... just would have been nice to get 600 for the same price.

Heavenlyevl
Resident

Tbh, i think the numbers are more like propaganda in a lot of ads. I currently have shaw 150 (supposedly upgraded to 300 they said in email and on bill), with full bundle it is about $90 just for the internet and all the speed tests i do show i get between 70-110 download and 9-12 upoad and 37ms is my fastest ping(tested 4am when only i was up and connected on 1 device), and that is only to a calgary location for ping. My game ping is usually about 62. This blows, and i am seriously about to switch to Telus since your ping of zero is making me jelly.

Optic_Issues_2B_Resolved
Advocate
At my house I have telus internet and optic TV on twisted pair lmao,

And at my condo in Langley I have Shaw on Fibre Optic. Who is stuck on copper again?
Optic_Issues_2B_Resolved
Advocate
What plans on telus are unlimited? I have shaw and telus, shaw is unlimited , telus charges me 15$ extra per month for unlimited
Community Power User
Community Power User

For anyone who does not consume their cap, their usage is effectively unlimited. While unlimited data sounds like a wonderful thing, if Telus sets the cap at a level where the great majority of customers never reach that level of consumption, unlimited has value only for high usage users.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Optic_Issues_2B_Resolved
Advocate
You are correct , the rest of the internet and sites you use don't suddenly get faster

If you buy a sports car that can go 320kph you're still going to arrive home at the same time as you did on your Toyota Camry during rush hour lmao

Internet is the same. .I have had 1.5, 3, 7, 15, 25, 50Mbps internet only, I've always managed to download a ton,

The only way that a 300Mbps could help you is of you have data you're trying to receive from a known commercial high speed connector ie Microsoft.com, Google.com etc.

Majority of websites don't have those deep pockets. Even those big guys load balance.
Optic_Issues_2B_Resolved
Advocate
Then go back to shaw, what's keeping you here? Some of us want a direct connection vs a shared connection, many of us also realise that upload speed is important to us.

If all you do is download or watch streams or social media at odd hours when the fee blocks around you are offline, then you'll benefit more from shaw. As your download will exceed the speeds you are paying for.

With telus or any dsl style network you've a direct connection back to their server, instead of the ring style that cable modem companies use.

Search
cable modem vs dsl modem or dsl vs cable

After some months of being away from shaw or telus , they will literally pay you hundreds to switch back.
Optic_Issues_2B_Resolved
Advocate
Fiber is a cloth why are you using cloth?

Fibre is optical cable, use that it will work much better for data.
Optic_Issues_2B_Resolved
Advocate
That makes zero sense,

For one thing ISPs play games, they know exactly what's connected and sandbaged you.

Audio even 7.2 streams perfectly even on a 5Mbps connection over copper.

The lightbulbs and other periphery you mention consume jack sh*t for data. Roku and all those "illegal app and kodi " streams are actually low bandwidth, because they are hosted by get rich quick people on home connections.

As to using so much bandwidth unless you have (running 24x7) smart TVs, TV set top boxes like roku, matricom, amazon firetv, playing legitimate 1080p or 4k steams from legitimate legal senders like Netflix, cravetv, Prime, Hulu, Crackle, and any number of new apps from Sony, Warner Bros, CBS, where you can measurably see the streams. Then your ISP is playing games with you.

Audio and iot data take little bandwidth. You may also have to get software to monitor your network.

On my telus I have as many or more devices, I have my routing equipment configured myself, even had telus tech come out and test with equipment to be sure nothing was colliding and multi media, data, and optic TV data were all on their own.

Never had issues on telus except when its equipment failure or something from their side.

If you enjoy having your head in the sand like some of my friends, and simply paying more for exactly nothing, that's your choice.

Some of you people seem to be comparing these things as though they are cars, my brand is better than yours, my model is better than yours or I had the lower end model but only the higher end one suits me. Your living in a fantasy land (oh yeah then how come my issues cleared up?) Ask the telus tech Lmao

Shaw Bell telus that's what they want. You've played right into their hands.

Anyone with IT IS knowledge knows it's all data.
Optic_Issues_2B_Resolved
Advocate
Did you leave out that you are downloading terabytes of torrents 24x7 or something?

That's the only thing that would effect a 75Mbps speed with music streaming.

Something you're not telling us, I get perfect Google music and 1080p and 4k streaming and optic TV on a 25Mbps telus on twisted pair nonetheless

Do you have telus optic TV?
When you get internet and optic TV they put you on their better routing equipment, look it up, it's been talked to death on here and other forums.
Optic_Issues_2B_Resolved
Advocate
Complete nonsense, you still have to pay $15 more for unlimited on top of that, show me a case other than uploading and downloading to another telus client with matched or higher connection that you will even see any advantage to going above 25 or 50 mbps. Real world not dreamer pie in the sky "600 is higher than 300 nonsense"

You people should all be driving cars 30 feet long and 6 passengers wide, if bigger is better. Lol

I've found that the most important things are unlimited bandwidth, and a high upload speed. Even then some downloads crawl.

Is Telus promising Mbps or mbps lmao search it.
Optic_Issues_2B_Resolved
Advocate
I was always hitting or going over then150 cap when they had that, now I'm hitting the 300,

My point is I don't want effective unlimited, I want actual unlimited.

Also I don't want to pay 150 a mo just for internet , to get higher caps, when all their competitors offer
Actual unlimited even at 15mbps.

My networks at both houses are optimised and customized.
Speedtestfreak9582
Resident

If you notice in February they have upgraded guide to be all black for people like you complain they can see,  also Ill take Optik tv anyday over crappy cable with Shaw with minimum HD Channels and Old outdated Equipment, Glad we don't have shaw, ive been to peoples houses and there TV is a joke