cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Router help!!

adamthebad
Advisor
Question....long version
My wife and i have a son along with his pals who are insistent on using FREE VPNs. We had an nasty old telus ISP router(zyxel) and now use this Actiontec.
even with my diligence of changing passwords and reboot scheds, the one router had a bunch of password rewrites that were not my doing and noticed a system hack..ESET computer blocked my computer...
how do i stop VPN (free) by going on telus Actiontec? Bridging? total block? second line?
6 REPLIES 6

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

To my knowledge, the only way to prevent the issues you are seeing would be to allow only certain MAC addresses to access your Router, AND place it where those in your household have no physical access to it. You may have to set ground rules with your son.

A VPN is usually managed from the end device, but can be set up on some routers.

Can you explain your problem with a bit more detail?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

greetings

never had Router passwords rewritten from an outside source before until Free VPNs were introduced into the house. And from my understanding Free VPNs are worse then some trojans/malware.

As far as ground rules...those are getting bumped...even if it is Teenspy or MMGuardian.

I know the Zyxel was/is antiquated, but it was working great till this started (rewrote all the security on the router...needed to factory reset to make it work). plus whatever information pulled from house electronics connected to the router

I see with Actiontec there is an invite protocol or a ban protocol for MAC address

would bridging to a side router provide any filtering?

Adam Badzioch
Master Electrician** Journeyman Electrician
Journeyman Welder**, Journeyman Heavy Boomtruck & Digger Derrick Operator, Heavy Equipment Operator, Professional Driver (Alberta CDL1/Q/U)**
**requires/may require extra empowering depending on situation or circumstance no exceptions

Sent from BlueMail

Found a solution to Free VPNs, and how teenage kids are sneaking around...Cisco or Barracuda Networks

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Can you provide a bit more detail on using these as a solution, so others can benefit, @adamthebad ?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

sure...the ONLY WAY to control children that are tech savy is to go a step ahead...NO OVER THE COUNTER COMPANY CAN STOP HTTPs with the systems sold...There are one or two that i have found and its...one) get into your childs device!
two) there are only a handful.of apps that control or snoop with children devices and they cost a few bucks! three) In my world i have a DPI software (Deep Packet Inspection) that goes into a unsecure VPN which most.children use and learn how to circumvent parental controls)

Yes...all that is being done....and all his pals that come over are warned at the door! thanks for the feed back....and Using enterprise based equipment works awesome

Adam Badzioch
Master Electrician** Journeyman Electrician
Journeyman Welder**, Journeyman Heavy Boomtruck & Digger Derrick Operator, Heavy Equipment Operator, Professional Driver (Alberta CDL1/Q/U)**, UAV/RPAS Commercial Drone Pilot
**requires/may require extra empowering depending on situation or circumstance no exceptions

Sent from BlueMail