cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about adding a router to T3200 modem

Jared
Friendly Neighbour

The T3200 modem supplied by Telus is located in our garage meaning that in some areas of our house the WiFi signal is not great.  We do however have Ethernet cables running from it to various rooms in the house.  I was wondering if I could add something like...….

http://ca.dlink.com/products/connect/dir-882-ac2600-high-power-wi-fi-gigabit-router/ 

Plug it into and ethernet cable running from the T3200 to improve the signal in those rooms where it is weaker.

Would I run into any issues?  Would any changes need to be made to the T3200 to accommodate it?

I appreciate any input that could be passed along.,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
As long as you have a spare network cable that can go from the 3200M port 1 to the location of your purchased router (WAN). That’s all you need to get up and running, plus configuring the new router, passwords etc.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
You can purchase the Telus boost Wi-Fi and create a mesh network which works excellent.

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/internet/content/boostwifi

You can use port1 on the T3200m and connect to your own router WAN port (or labelled Internet”. From there configure however you wish. If you have optik tv let the T3200M handle that service.

Jared
Friendly Neighbour

I thought about that, but here is something I meant to add in my earlier post.  My son and I (online gamers) would like to hardwire our consoles, that being said, running the D-Link router upstairs would allow us to do that as well as improve the Wi-Fi signal upstairs.  Sorry I didn't mention this earlier.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
As long as you have a spare network cable that can go from the 3200M port 1 to the location of your purchased router (WAN). That’s all you need to get up and running, plus configuring the new router, passwords etc.

Do you really need a second ROUTER? That would give you two separate networks to worry about ... If you are happy with the T3200 managing your network and firewall then there is no need for a second router.

Maybe all you need is a switch on the other end of your Cat5 cabling near your computers - then connect your computers to the switch along with a wireless extender to provide additional wireless access.

There are access points that also have ethernet ports - I'm using a DLink DAP-1650 with good success - it has 4 Gig ethernet ports and both 2.4 and 5G wireless capability - 1 port connects to the router and then you have 3 more ports available for hardwired devices.

Jared
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks to all for your advice, I connected my router to the T3200 as explained, set it up and currently having no issues.

WiFi coverage is improved and our gaming consoles are connected via LAN cable.

Once again, thanks to the community for your help and input.

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

@Jared wrote:

The T3200 modem supplied by Telus is located in our garage meaning that in some areas of our house the WiFi signal is not great.  We do however have Ethernet cables running from it to various rooms in the house.

Thoughts....

• is this an attached garage?  I thought the T3200 had to be indoors or center of the building for best results.
  • doesn't the T3200 need to be near a TV in the home for the Optik service to work?  Are you using Optik?
  • I like the Mesh/Boost for great wifi coverage