cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer not responding

DonKeyshot
Friendly Neighbour

My iMac experienced a period of randomly occurring slowdowns.  I was advised to reboot the router modem. This cured the slowdown but I am unable to print anything from the computer, two iPhones and a windows 9 laptop.  Printer display shows it is connected to my Wifi network, a print status command also shows connection.  Computer shows that my Brother MFC-J67!00W printer is the default printer and is active but idle.  Attempting to print get a "printer not responding" error message.  Should I reset the T3200M router - this will reset to manufacturers' original settings.  IS IT OK TO DO THIS?  What happens to any updates Telus has made to the router? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Check and see if SmartSteering is enabled, and if so, try with it disabled.

A number of T3200M routers seem to have troubles interconnecting Wi-Fi connected devices to the rest of the network.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

BillTelusCust
Rockstar

If you want to try something without checking further, anytime you have rebooted your router, reboot your printer.

If you are a bit more tech savvy, you could program your router to reserve an IP address for your printer.

When you reboot your router, it generally loses track of which devices it has given an IP address to.  It is possible it gave the one your printer was given to another device...

Rebooted my printer - also re-entered the network name and password.  Not sure I could program my router without detailed instructions!  Is there a simpler solution?

It is one of those things which is far easier to fix in person than it is to guess at what might be wrong in a dialogue.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj6710dw_all&ftype3=2039&faqid=faq000...

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Check and see if SmartSteering is enabled, and if so, try with it disabled.

A number of T3200M routers seem to have troubles interconnecting Wi-Fi connected devices to the rest of the network.

NFtoBC

DonKeyshot
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for the suggestion.  How do I do that?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Login to the Admin panel

Go to Wireless > SmartSteeriing then choose Disable.

T3200M manual

NFtoBC

DonKeyshot
Friendly Neighbour

Unable to find a way to disable smart steering - but clicked on "reset", not sure if it occurred.  Still unable to print from iMac, but iPhone and Laptop print OK, but Admin settings shows :  "Connected 192.168.1.72"  Computer experienced a slowdown, but it has disappeared".    

Will browse through manual and see what else I can do.  Many thanks for all your help - greatly appreciated

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You are fast learning why I prefer hardwired connections over Wi-Fi!

NFtoBC

DonKeyshot
Friendly Neighbour

After 2 complete days spent on this, I'm beginning to agree with you. It wouldn't be too great an inconvenience since I can use the wifi for all by other links to the printer - just have to keep switching the printer back and forth occasionally as needed. Thanks again.

Brian

On 2018-08-21 18:02, TELUS Neighbourhood wrote:

Hi DonKeyshot,

NFtoBC (Community Power User) posted a new reply in Internet, TV & Home Phone on 08-21-2018 09:02 PM :

Re: Printer not responding

You are fast learning why I prefer hardwired connections over Wi-Fi!

Reply | Give Kudos

TELUS Neighbourhood sent this message to [email protected].
You are receiving this email because a new message matches your subscription to a topic.

To control which emails we send you please go to, manage your subscription & notification settings or unsubscribe.

A Telus Expert Advisor discovered the problem: the Printer Driver had become corrupted. deleting the printer from the iMac and reinstalling the same printer with updated driver solved the problem.  This was a Telus service I did not know about.  Problem finally solved.

Although I am very pleased to hear that your problem has been solved, it really doesn't make a lot of sense when your original issue was the inability to print from four different devices: "I am unable to print anything from the computer, two iPhones and a windows 9 laptop."

That would have thrown most people off from the driver issue.....but glad you have it working.

Hi

After rebooting the router, it was only the iMac that would not print. That made no sense whatsoever. I'm not sure what the Telus Expert did besides updating the printer driver, but she was occupied for about 45 minutes. Anyway, glad it's solved.

On 2018-08-23 17:14, TELUS Neighbourhood wrote:

Hi DonKeyshot,

BillTelusCust (Ambassador) posted a new reply in Internet, TV & Home Phone on 08-23-2018 08:14 PM :

Although I am very pleased to hear that your problem has been solved, it really doesn't make a lot of sense when your original issue was the inability to print from four different devices: "I am unable to print anything from the computer, two iPhones and a windows 9 laptop."

That would have thrown most people off from the driver issue.....but glad you have it working.

Reply | Give Kudos

You are receiving this email because a new message matches your subscription to a topic.

To control which emails we send you please go to, manage your subscription & notification settings or unsubscribe.

Well, of course, we didn't have the additional information that it was down to one device after rebooting the router, or I'm sure most people would have given the same advice - driver.

Sorry about that - I was trying every avenue I could think of and didn't keep you updated on what was actually going on

On 2018-08-24 10:11, TELUS Neighbourhood wrote:

Hi DonKeyshot,

BillTelusCust (Ambassador) posted a new reply in Internet, TV & Home Phone on 08-24-2018 01:11 PM :

Well, of course, we didn't have the additional information that it was down to one device after rebooting the router, or I'm sure most people would have given the same advice - driver.

Reply | Give Kudos

Thanks for the note, at least  you got it fixed.