cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONT vs Modem

primexx
Friendly Neighbour

I see on the PureFibre sign-up page that Telus gives you an "Advanced Wifi Modem". From speaking with Telus I'm assured that there is definitely an ONT.

So the default setup from Telus should look like this: Fibre-in > ONT > CAT5/6 Ethernet > Modem > CAT5/6 Ethernet > whatever else you like

Of course, a Modulator/demodulator behind a FTTP ONT is a nonsensical thing.

So what exactly IS this supposed "modem" and what does it actually do???

Typically I should be able to plug my (way better than Telus') router directly into the ONT for internet, can I do that with this?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chicnstu
Leader
You are correct in the default setup. The modem is connected to the ONT by a patch cable going from LAN1 on the ONT to the WAN port of the modem. You can bypass the modem and connect any third party router to the ONT as long as it is configured correctly and supports that type of setup but Telus will not be able to assist with technical issues past the ONT if you choose to connect that way.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Chicnstu
Leader
You are correct in the default setup. The modem is connected to the ONT by a patch cable going from LAN1 on the ONT to the WAN port of the modem. You can bypass the modem and connect any third party router to the ONT as long as it is configured correctly and supports that type of setup but Telus will not be able to assist with technical issues past the ONT if you choose to connect that way.

rc
Rockstar

To answer your question about the modem, the telus provide device is a combined dsl modem and WiFi router.  The dsl component is not used in a fiber connection.

Having the telus router may help when dealing with telus tech support, if you have any connectivity issues.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Also remember, if you have Optik TV, you need a router with multicast capability. Many folks have trouble finding one of these in the consumer marketplace.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

valiaig
Advocate

As @NFtoBC said Optical Network Teerminal stays,. Gateway and rest of equipment goes to TELUS
forget that ONT even there its very dangerous to terminate Fibre Optic Feed thus best that you leave it as is.

primexx
Friendly Neighbour

Would you mind rephrasing your response, @valiaig? I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're saying. Thanks!

@primexx wrote:

Would you mind rephrasing your response, @valiaig? I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're saying. Thanks!

An ONT is an Optical Network Terminal. This device connects the fibre that has been wired the outside of your house, to your modem.

The ONT is a small white plastic box (180mm x50mm x 120mm) that will be placed on your internal wall. 

It’s important that you think about where the ONT is placed before our technician arrives for your 'Agree' appointment as this can impact your broadband experience. Your modem ( multicast capable router)  will plug into your ONT so it should ideally be:

• where you’re using the internet the most.
  • centrally located in your home if possible as that’s how your WiFi works best
  • accessible to Internet heavy-devices such as televisions.

Fibre is a glass that transmits highly focused light and that light has to be turned into signal and back to transmit information
ONT is signal transmission converter and not modem because your Advanced WIFI modem takes care of acting as one (so called "modem". Its Called Gateway because TELUS use IP technology for ALL of its services. even home phone is no longer traditional anymore   T3200m router is able to multicast and thus TELUS uses it./ Simply put term "modem" no longer applies to Telus  based on infrastructure they use today.

You may also use  Apple Airport Extreme 6th generation router to act as multicast Gateway. As its the only router I saw Telus tech (my friend) was  using at home
72VUEHz.jpg

Things go back to TELUS:
- TELUS Optik PVR
- TELUS digital and wireless STBs
- T3200m Wifi Gateway/router
-Mesh WIFI (if rented)

primexx
Friendly Neighbour

The ONT is 7368 ISAM G-240G-A right? Do you know if it's rackmountable? It doesn't look like it based on what i've seen on google

That's my picture 🙂

Just wall mount it instead.