cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No message waiting light?

Rick81
Coach

I recently was updated to Telus fibre. All went smoothly BUT I now notice a couple of telephone related things.

1) I suddenly have call waiting. A feature I hate and would like to permanently disable. Yes PERMANENTLY!

2) I have 2 Panasonic wireless phones (1 is a single handset and the other is a set of 3 handsets). The message waiting light on multi-handset Panasonic phone no longer works? Both phones have an audible signal when a message waiting is left but only one has a flashing light? (Yes I have disconnected the working phone from the system and left a message but no joy. And yes both sets worked as they should before the change over).

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I had Telus fibre installed recently in March 2022 and the red blinking LED message waiting indicator on our Uniden cordless phone stopped working. We only had the dial tone beep but no red flashing light. I read all these comments on the web and finally I decided to "reboot" the phone so I unplugged the electric adaptor from the wall, waited a minute or so and plugged back in. Afterwards I called that phone and left a message and it was working. The red LED was flashing. It took some minutes after the voice mail was left but it did flash and I have now used for a couple weeks and still ok. So maybe this solution will work for you. Unplug the electric and plug back. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I suspect when they moved you to Telus fibre they gave you they gave you the Telus Home plan which includes all calling features.

You will likely need to talk to Telus to get this sorted out.

Here is the info from the Telus account page:

To change your plan, your display name, calling features, or to manage your directory listing, please call 1-888-811-2323

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

Thanks for the reply FuzzyLogic.

I called Telus and they suggested *70 to kill the "Call Waiting" feature. After I hung up I realized that was only temporary EACH time I got the message etc. So no solution from Telus.

On the lack of a voice mail light on the phone. They explained that was gone because of the fibre installation and was only available on "twisted pair". When I pointed out that the light on a 2nd Panasonic wireless system worked perfectly they were speechless.

So in summary, an hour on the phone resulted in a reboot of the system remotely and no solution I'm afraid.

I had Telus fibre installed recently in March 2022 and the red blinking LED message waiting indicator on our Uniden cordless phone stopped working. We only had the dial tone beep but no red flashing light. I read all these comments on the web and finally I decided to "reboot" the phone so I unplugged the electric adaptor from the wall, waited a minute or so and plugged back in. Afterwards I called that phone and left a message and it was working. The red LED was flashing. It took some minutes after the voice mail was left but it did flash and I have now used for a couple weeks and still ok. So maybe this solution will work for you. Unplug the electric and plug back. 

Many thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately I have tried this "reboot" procedure without success. I tried it again and still no joy.

Telus has been unwilling or unable to offer any solution. Their "over-seas" help line obviously does not have a script for this problem. Contacting ANYONE at Telus  in North America with a possible solution seems to be impossible. 

Telus is a communications company that has shown it's customers that they have mastered the fine art of avoiding communication. Pretty sad!!

TP73
Just Moved In

Did you ever get a resolution to this? Experiencing the same issue after a recent fibre conversion. I've been going around in circles with TELUS tech support on this with no fix.

Thank you fbeinhau, sometimes the simplest troubleshooting is the right answer. In April 2022, I switched my copper landline to fibre/internet. Had all the same symptoms you described, on my Nortel 390 landline phone: the red light indicator would not flash when a message was waiting. As well, my other cordless/base station phones' indicators would not display" New Voicemail".  Unplugging each phone for a minute and plugging it back in worked. Both phones now notify me when a voicemail has been left. Thanks for the tip to reboot the power to the source.