cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Internet Access on Desktop Computer

kennykill
Friendly Neighbour

We currently have the Actiontec T3200M modem that provides our wireless access for laptops.

However, when I connect my desktop computer to using the LAN ports there's no internet access. I've tried all the ports on the modem, restarting the desktop and the modem several times, and even two different internet cables but still no success.

The laptops can access the internet via the WIFI, the problem is with the wired connection for my desktop. I've tried Windows troubleshooting features and diagnosis tools, and setting up new connections on my desktop but each time it returns the same answer "no internet connection". My desktop has worked with other providers in the past, but it's not accessing the internet with the new Telus service we've had installed recently.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The requirements for internet service are no different than other providers. A working network card and associated drivers. If your laptop is working when hardwired, the issue will be with the software or hardware on the PC. Maybe something was damaged during the move. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen with a desktop machine.

You didn't have your PC set to use a static IP previously did you? That could also cause issues like this.

Windows 7 doesn't typically auto-update the drivers unless you have automatically install all updates enabled. Dell makes many versions of the Optiplex. You can find drivers, software and utilities here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/ca/en/cabsdt1?app=drivers . Depending on how old the machine is, Dell may even be able to offer assistance. Some old Optiplex models have had LAN issues in the past but you're looking at 2011/2012 era PCs.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

What happens if you connect any of your laptops to the router with an Ethernet cable?

Have you any other devices connected by Ethernet?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

kennykill
Friendly Neighbour

When the laptop is connected via a cable it works.

The issue is to do with the desktop setup. Any suggestions?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If the laptop worked using the same cable the desktop is using, the desktop could have any number of issues. A driver issue is one likely possibility I can think of. A very rare possibility is the network card on the desktop is malfunctioning.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

kennykill
Friendly Neighbour

Is there a way for me to figure out if it's a driver myself or is it something only a tech can do?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus won't be able to provide support for hardware or driver problems with your own devices.

For drivers, if you bought a pre-built machine (Dell, HP, etc.), check the manufacturer's website for network drivers. If it's custom built, you'll have to figure out what motherboard you have and then go to that manufacturers site to find specific drivers. Once found you'll have to copy them to a flash drive on your laptop and plug it into the PC and run the installer.

If you have Windows 10, and a standard network card you may be out of luck as Microsoft hasn't updated the basic drivers in 3 years. Windows 10 usually downloads new drivers on its own. I had it install a bad wifi driver in the past on my tablet and had to roll back the install in device manager. That only worked in that one instance for me.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you feel this is beyond your ability, just about everywhere has a computer support place with someone who can help for a fee. Ask at your local Chamber of Commerce, if none listed in the yellow pages.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

rc
Rockstar

How long ago was your desktop working?

kennykill
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for the input.

The last time I had the desktop set up and operational was about 3 months ago before moving house and installing Telus. I never had an issue with my other service provider for a couple of years prior to moving.

It would be unfortunate if the driver requirements changed in such a small window, or are system requirements for Telus internet likely more than what my machine required for the previous service? I'm running Windows 7 on a Dell OptiPlex

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The requirements for internet service are no different than other providers. A working network card and associated drivers. If your laptop is working when hardwired, the issue will be with the software or hardware on the PC. Maybe something was damaged during the move. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen with a desktop machine.

You didn't have your PC set to use a static IP previously did you? That could also cause issues like this.

Windows 7 doesn't typically auto-update the drivers unless you have automatically install all updates enabled. Dell makes many versions of the Optiplex. You can find drivers, software and utilities here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/ca/en/cabsdt1?app=drivers . Depending on how old the machine is, Dell may even be able to offer assistance. Some old Optiplex models have had LAN issues in the past but you're looking at 2011/2012 era PCs.

kennykill
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks very much for your help, I'll look into what you've said.

Since windows 7 support ended in 2015, I would be surprised that a driver update would be causing problems.  I would suspect some network setting carried over from the previous ISP is causing the problem.

I would look at the  adapter settings and ensure that it is set up for dhcp, and no DNA settings.

kennykill
Friendly Neighbour

@rc wrote:

Since windows 7 support ended in 2015, I would be surprised that a driver update would be causing problems.  I would suspect some network setting carried over from the previous ISP is causing the problem.

I would look at the  adapter settings and ensure that it is set up for dhcp, and no DNA settings.

Thanks for all your help RC, this was the issue in the end. Thankfully my desktop is now fully up and running with internet access. Thanks again for helping out with my query.

rc
Rockstar

What are the colours of the LEDS on the optiplex ethernet card.