cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Telus Modem Router setup and bridging

Pearson4
Neighbour

Hello, Telus just came over and upgraded my Modem to a T3200M. I have Dlink AC3200M which I was using solely with my old modem. I have Telus optik TV and Pure Fiber 150/150. I have bridged port 1 and installed my Dlink to port 1 lan of the t3200m. I can still see the T3200m signal and connect to it though. I thought it disabled the router part of the modem once it was bridged. I would like to use the Dlink solely as it has a bigger coverage area. The last modem I just used to control the tv's and used the Dlink for the house wifi. I would also like to maximize my 150/150 as my son does video game streaming. What kind of settings should I be using for this setup? I have been all over the forums and it doesn't seem like anyone has to exact same case I have but I would like to add some performance settings as well because my son is constantly complaining about upload speeds. Thanks for any help you can provide. I had Telus over to look at the upload speeds and they installed a new modem and said it was good to go. Still not reaching the 150 upload speed but I think there is improvements to be made yet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
If you have wireless optik boxes you can’t disable the wifi radio. If you want to do that you must run network cables and hardwire them.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Bridging leaves ports 2-4 still available, and also the Wi-Fi SSID unless you specifically turn Wi-Fi off.

What upload speeds do you see? What do you see when connected directly to the Actiontec device?

You shouldn’t need anywhere near 150 for online gaming.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

When the telus guy was here, he used the www.speedtest.googlefiber.net on wifi from a laptop and he got 165 mbps down and 146mbps up. I tested on my house computer on wifi and I'm getting about 30 down and 20 up. The original reason the telus guy was here was because the upload wouldn't go over 10 mbps. As this is a current improvement, it still isn't what I'm after. The download speed had always been above 100 mbps so thats why I figured that I still had some settings to figure out. I haven't connected directly to the Actiontec, just going off what the Telus guy had. It's not so much the online gaming that the upload is needed for. It's the online streaming that it needs for frame rates. He plays the games live on twitch and we noticed that anytime it would lag or the frame rates were down that the upload speed was low. I just did a speed test again from my phone and it is 13 up and 21 down. I know this isn't the best way to check but when I did the same test yesterday with my old modem that i would get 150+ down and 0-10 up consistently. When i plugged my laptop into the old modem and did it the numbers were the same. 

Connect a computer directly to the Telus T3200M (hardwire to port 2 - 4) and see what you get with Speedtest - you should get about or even over 150/150.  If that doesn't work then call Telus - sometimes the fibre is incorrectly provisioned but that's probably not the issue since the Telus tech got the correct speeds.

If you get the correct speeds when connected directly to the Telus T3200M then something is wrong with the setup on your own router.

How do I shut off the wireless from the T3200M but still be able to use the optik boxes?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

By connecting them with an Ethernet cable between ports 2-4 and the device at your TV.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Does that still allow the wireless boxes to work? Also, how do I disable the wifi from the T3200M?

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
If you have wireless optik boxes you can’t disable the wifi radio. If you want to do that you must run network cables and hardwire them.

I have T3200 modem and set it up as bridge mode, and TZ300W router on Lan1, somehow it is only work for 30 minutes on internet and stop work again for 5 minutes and connect to internet again. So the network is on and off in random time. And when it was off , if I change the  MAC address of my router then the internet connection is back again. Can some one tell me why this is happen ?