cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on how to run the new Cat6 cables

MonkeyRPN
Organizer

Hello,

I live in an area that I confirmed online where the PureFibre 300/300 is available. My home is currently undergoing a renovation, and I'm think this is probably the best time to run the house with Cat6 cables. I'm not at all familiar with home networking... so I'm a bit unsure how to best run the cables in my house. Currently I see a Telus box at the side of my house outside, midway of the house length and it goes into the main floor. Not sure if it's fiber optics. After renovation, i'd like to have LAN connections in my living room for my computer that i'm running as media server and my Apple TV, I'd also like LAN connections in my office and also one of the bedrooms downstairs in the basement. How should I run the cables? Should I run each wire straight from the router that Telus will provide (ie, use up all 4 ports) or should I use switches. If I use switches, how many and where should I place them? 

Thanks... any guidance will be helpful. 

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I suggest running 2 Ethernet cables from a central location (near the Telus router) to each room where you might want connectivity. You can add switches  as you need them at various locations.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

2 cables from the location of the Telus router to each room, does that mean if I have 3 rooms I'd like to have wired ethernet connections I would have 6 cables converging at the Telus router? or should I just have 3 cables going from the Telus router and dropping one in each room, then if I have more than one device in the room I want ethernet connection I'd place a switch in that room? 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have switches on the ends of all of the ethernet runs in various rooms in my place.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

A pair of cables allows you to run a separate network for TV vs. computers, or allows you to run out to a device in a room, and back to the cabinet. There have been a number of folks in the 'hood wanting to set up their network in a manner which would be eased by two cables, and it is as easy to run two as one.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Sorry for being so ignorant with setting up networks... but why would I want to run an ethernet to a device then run it back to the cabinet?