cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My download speed is terrible, and I don't know if there is anything I can do about it.

EliteRobot
Just Moved In

Hi, Our local Telus branch recently bought out the small internet provider that I was originally using. Since they took them over, the internet quality has been getting progressively worse, to the point in which I believe it should be considered unacceptable. Originally we were told by our old provider we should be getting around 35mb down and 15up. When Telus took them over we were promised 50mb down 20up at the same price. (I know these speeds are fairly slow, but I don't live IN town, we have very little options when it comes to our options for internet providers). The upload is as promised, It averages around 15-20mb which I feel is perfectly acceptable. Recently though, the download speeds have been becoming extremely painful to work with. The download speeds right now through out the day (not even including peak usage hours), our download speed is averaging 0.2mb to 0.5mb (sometimes completely failing speed tests because the download is too low, and1-2.5mb if we are lucky) and sometimes takes upwards of 30 seconds to load the main page of twitter. We have replaced our router, we have had our dish looked at, everything is working perfectly fine and our connection to their service should be almost perfect. Telus took over in spring some time, and through out the summer the speeds were fairly decent and reliable for the most part but we were still never reaching anywhere close to those promised numbers (Usually around 6-13mb down 30-35 on very very rare occasions), but since fall started and even before it started becoming cold outside our speeds were slowly getting much much worse. Since they took over I have also been experiencing apparent "Internet Throttling", as my download speed will drop down to around the 0.2-0.5mb per second range after around 15-30 seconds of me downloading anything. My computer is connected to the router via Ethernet, and there should be absolutely nothing causing any kind of issues on our end as far as we are aware. We had our family member who works in the Internet providing industry look into the hardware we were provided with, and were told that all of our hardware is perfectly acceptable, and should be able to handle even higher speeds than what we were told we should be getting. We have attempted to contact Telus via phone, but because it was our Local branch who bought them out, the call centers cant seem to help. We even contacted our local branch and they have yet to do anything to fix it even after asking them several times.

TL:DR

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could possibly increase our internet speeds? I know it has nothing to do with our hardware, and I make sure to keep all devices off of the network unless someone is using them but that only helps so much when our speeds are this low from the get go. Right now doing basic web surfing is annoying because the web pages load extremely slowly, and all Images load from the top down super slowly as If I had dial up. Watching video is almost impossible, because you wait 2 minutes to buffer around 15-30 seconds of video and then have to wait another 2 minutes. Playing video games is completely off the table with these speeds, although I have tried and it makes me want to rip my hair out. Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There is no “local branch” of Telus. If you are receiving a bill from Telus, you should contact them with your account number, and ask for resolution.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

EliteRobot
Just Moved In

EliteRobot_0-1636932874436.png

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There is no “local branch” of Telus. If you are receiving a bill from Telus, you should contact them with your account number, and ask for resolution.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"