cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum Boost with T3200

MyRegionIsNot_BC
Neighbour

Hi All,

I recently got a Telus Boost Starter Kit and was expecting that all three devices (T3200 + Boost devices) would be part of the mesh, not just the two Boost devices.  I am in IT so I know enough to be more than dangerous and have a nerdy side that needs to understand the workings but I hate networking (and printers).  So in the great discussions here I have decifered two things that I would like to do, but want to understand how the traffic will behave.

1. You can hardware the two Boost devices.  

So “steering” between devices will work the same but traffic from the secondary Boost device will be over Ethernet not via a WIFI hop to the primary Boost device.  So, a no brainer to hardware both, correct?

2. You can setup the wireless on the T3200 with the same SSID and password as the Boost devices.

Scenario A. Will it behave like a single mesh with steering between all 3 devices?  Or

Scenario B. Will it be a Boost mesh with “steering” and a single WI-FI hosted by the T3200.

I am assuming scenario B.

• So, when it comes to moving between the Boost mesh and the T3200, it will be up to the end devices to move as they see fit between the Boost mesh and the T3200?
  • If there is not a big difference between signal strength the end devices will rarely move?
  • Will the WIFI be seen by devices as one network (will they change IPs when they move between)?  One concern I have is that I have call forwarding from my iPhone to my iPad so they need to be able to “on the same network”.
  • No issues with Optik TV, they will talk directly to the T3200 regardless.

3. Do wireless Optik boxes take any advantage from the Boost mesh?

Finally, did I read correctly that future routers and upgraded T3200 will behave as Senario A above.

Thanks in advance to any answers, I know this is a long one.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The following is from my own experience. YMMV.

@MyRegionIsNot_BC wrote:

So “steering” between devices will work the same but traffic from the secondary Boost device will be over Ethernet not via a WIFI hop to the primary Boost device.  So, a no brainer to hardware both, correct?

Correct.

2. You can setup the wireless on the T3200 with the same SSID and password as the Boost devices.

Scenario A. Will it behave like a single mesh with steering between all 3 devices?  Or

Scenario B. Will it be a Boost mesh with “steering” and a single WI-FI hosted by the T3200.

• So, when it comes to moving between the Boost mesh and the T3200, it will be up to the end devices to move as they see fit between the Boost mesh and the T3200?
  • If there is not a big difference between signal strength the end devices will rarely move?
  • Will the WIFI be seen by devices as one network (will they change IPs when they move between)?  One concern I have is that I have call forwarding from my iPhone to my iPad so they need to be able to “on the same network”.

You may find dis-satisfaction with this setup. There have been numerous discussions about the Wi-Fi radio in the T3200M not properly communicating with other Ethernet-connected devices on the network. Using the Boost devices as their own mesh separate from the T3200M Wi-Fi addresses the issue. My suggestion is to run the Boost mesh on it's own SSID.

The usual recommendation has been to leave them on the current T3200M SSID, or Ethernet connect them.

Finally, did I read correctly that future routers and upgraded T3200 will behave as Senario A above. 

To my knowledge, Telus has not released any information about future routers or upgrades.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The following is from my own experience. YMMV.

@MyRegionIsNot_BC wrote:

Correct.

You may find dis-satisfaction with this setup. There have been numerous discussions about the Wi-Fi radio in the T3200M not properly communicating with other Ethernet-connected devices on the network. Using the Boost devices as their own mesh separate from the T3200M Wi-Fi addresses the issue. My suggestion is to run the Boost mesh on it's own SSID.

The usual recommendation has been to leave them on the current T3200M SSID, or Ethernet connect them.

To my knowledge, Telus has not released any information about future routers or upgrades.

NFtoBC

Thanks so much.  I was unaware of the issue with the T3200.

To understand a bit better, the issue with the T3200 wireless is that an Ethernet connected device can have isues communicating with a WIFI connected device.   But a device connected to Boost via WIFI has no issues communicating with devices connected to the T3200 by Ethernet (presumably because the T3200 sees them both as Ethernet since the primary Boost is Ethernet connected).

Again, thanks, Chris 

I don’t know WHY it works smoothly with the Boost device, but your premise seems logical.

NFtoBC

Thanks so much... now I can sleep at night.  😄