cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to upgrade my Router...

Brandvan3000
Just Moved In
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my T3200M wifi modem (supplied by Telus) to a TP Link Archer C5400X. I'm a twitch Streamer and Avid gamer so im trying to maximize my internet upload and download speeds as well as make sure the internet stays stable for my roomates.

What I'm wondering is if I should purchase a modem with it? The T3200M has a DSL 1 and 2 slot and I believe the C5400X doesn't? Could I just connect the C5400X to the the T3200M or would that cause bottlenecking issues? If I do need a modem what would you guys recommend?

Thanks for any help, I'm new to trying to upgrade this kind of stuff so any help/guidance is appreciated!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Finding a compatible third party modem is very extremely difficult, especially for a bonded connection. You can easily plug your router into one of the gigabit LAN ports on the T3200 though. I've done that before without noticing any issues. If you have Optik TV you will want to still run the Optik boxes direct to the T3200.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Finding a compatible third party modem is very extremely difficult, especially for a bonded connection. You can easily plug your router into one of the gigabit LAN ports on the T3200 though. I've done that before without noticing any issues. If you have Optik TV you will want to still run the Optik boxes direct to the T3200.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Very easy to upgrade to a better router .I use a hp server with Pfsense on it and a 48 Port 10GB switch no problems 

Someone9
Friendly Neighbour

Your DSL is limited by TELUS on their end.  If you do not have a good connection and your speeds are slow, it is most likely related to line issues.

Do a speed test and see if you are getting the speed you are paying for.  Do this with your computer plugged directly into the modem using a cable if possible.  All other devices off if possible.

Learn to troubleshoot your settings.  Log into your modem and check your Status. 

Check the Line 1 and Line 2 status to see what your error rates are (FEC) This should be low.  Mine are over 150 which is very bad.

Check the SNR.

SN Margin (AKA Signal to Noise Margin or Signal to Noise Ratio)
Relative strength of the DSL signal to Noise ratio. 6dB is generally the lowest dB manufactures specify in order for the modem to be able to synch. In some instances interleaving can help raise the noise margin to an acceptable level. Generally speaking, as overall bandwidth increases, your signal to noise ratio decreases. So a customer that upgrades from 1.5 to 6.0 service will typically see a corresponding decrease in the signal to noise ratio. The higher the number the better for this measurement.
6dB or below is bad and will experience no synch or intermittent synch problems
7dB-10dB is fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions
11dB-20dB is good with no synch problems
20dB-28dB is excellent
29dB or above is outstanding

Check your Attenuation:

Line Attenuation
Measure of how much the signal has degraded between the DSLAM and the modem. Maximum signal loss recommendation is usually about 60dB. One of the biggest factors affecting line attenuation is distance from the DSLAM. Generally speaking, bigger distances mean higher attenuation. The lower the dB the better for this measurement.
20dB and below is outstanding
20dB-30dB is excellent
30dB-40dB is very good
40dB-50dB is good
50dB-60dB is poor and may experience connectivity issues
60dB or above is bad and will experience connectivity issues

Even the modem manufacturer of the T3200M states that the attenuation should not be over 40dB.  So, if you are having issues with any of these, then even changing your modem will not fix the issue.  If you get a tech out to fix the problem.  Test it yourself before they leave and check the SNR and Attenuation.