cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency lag on video games

Jaohow
Neighbour
Yo so I’ve been having really bad connection to servers when I play multiplayer games online but I have an average of 60mbps download and 15 upload, we got a new router expecting this to fix it and other issues we had, but I still have really bad connection even to servers hosted near me, I’ve tried using hotspot to test if it was just my computer and it worked perfectly fine, not sure what the problem could be. Any help would be appreciated
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User
3. I Have been joining server hosted by my friend to see if I was still having issues and he hosts it from his house

If you are connecting to your friend's PC at his house, there are a list of things that could result in a slower connection. Those can include your friend's PC itself, their connection speed (both up and down), if it's on wifi or ethernet, other programs running on it, usage of other devices at your friend's house, etc.

4. I consider a bad game connection when there’s a lot of delay between me and other players and also when I get disconnected from online servers very often

Simply saying "a lot of delay" is not useful as latency can be measured. What number are you seeing as the latency? What some people consider delay is actually well within normal limits.

5. The game that is affected the most in Minecraft however even on games like overwatch and gta v online I get disconnected from servers often

Overwatch and GTA:V servers will be outside of the Telus network and typically in the USA. The further they are away, the more chance the response times will be higher. What have you done to identify the issue with those games? How many milliseconds is your latency on each game? What happens if you use a different server?

Overwatch is known to have had latency issues with their servers and connections in the past. Have you gone through the troubleshooting steps as outlined by Blizzard

And again, as asked before: What tests have you done to determine if there is an issue with latency? Can you show results of those tests here? How much do those results change when your PC is connected by ethernet instead of wifi?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Jaohow
Neighbour
Also i do use wifi and still usually get around 60 download and 15 upload but even when having Ethernet plugged in I lag out of the game

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The speed of your internet connection is not related to the latency you may experience to various servers. Latency is often impacted by the distance between a user and the server in question. Latency on wifi will also be higher than a hardwired connection either way.

Your post is missing a lot of details that would be needed to determine if there is a problem.

• Telus does not offer connections that have speeds of 60mbps down, which modem and router(s) do you have?
  • Are you trying to game from a PC, a console or something else?
  • What game(s)?
  • Which servers are you playing on? (server or IP addresses?)
  • How are you determining their location in relation to yours, since Canadian game servers aren't that common?
  • What tests have you done to determine if there is an issue with latency? Can you show results of those tests here?
  • What are you considering a "really bad connection"?
  • If the games are popular ones, have you contacted the game company regarding support for latency issues and troubleshooting?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

1. I have the T3200 modem
2. I am using a PC
3. I Have been joining server hosted by my friend to see if I was still having issues and he hosts it from his house
4. I consider a bad game connection when there’s a lot of delay between me and other players and also when I get disconnected from online servers very often
5. The game that is affected the most in Minecraft however even on games like overwatch and gta v online I get disconnected from servers often

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you are connecting to your friend's PC at his house, there are a list of things that could result in a slower connection. Those can include your friend's PC itself, their connection speed (both up and down), if it's on wifi or ethernet, other programs running on it, usage of other devices at your friend's house, etc.

Simply saying "a lot of delay" is not useful as latency can be measured. What number are you seeing as the latency? What some people consider delay is actually well within normal limits.

Overwatch and GTA:V servers will be outside of the Telus network and typically in the USA. The further they are away, the more chance the response times will be higher. What have you done to identify the issue with those games? How many milliseconds is your latency on each game? What happens if you use a different server?

Overwatch is known to have had latency issues with their servers and connections in the past. Have you gone through the troubleshooting steps as outlined by Blizzard

And again, as asked before: What tests have you done to determine if there is an issue with latency? Can you show results of those tests here? How much do those results change when your PC is connected by ethernet instead of wifi?