cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet 75 Actual Speed on Copper

RonAKA
Rockstar

Telus installed a new T3200M modem this AM to deliver Internet 75. This is to replace an Internet 50 plan using the T2200H modem which actually delivered a ping of 4, download of 59.7, and upload of 11.4. The new modem is actually not that much faster in downloading with a 3 ping, 69.7 down, and 20.9 up. Should I get a better download than 69? Any settings to check?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7142568216

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@RonAKA - As I mentioned earlier. Contact Telus and have them check the line profile to ensure everything is set correctly. If you are legitimately able to get the full 75mbps (likely can't since single line can't do that speed), Optik should not be interfering with the internet side of things.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

RonAKA
Rockstar

Sorry I mixed up the up and down speeds. The faster one is download and slower the upload of course. Now edited to make more sense.

Hello, 

On a copper internet 75 plan, the upload speeds will be around 15Mbps.  On fiber optics, the upload speeds will be symmetrical to the download speeds, so 75/75 download and upload.

I had a wired and wireless Optik TV turned on and tuned to two different HD channels when I did that test. Turned the TV's off and redid the test. Download improved from 69 Mbps to 79 Mbps. It appears TV steals bandwidth from the Internet. Never noticed that with the T2200H modem and Internet 50.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7142693200

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

That usually means your line speed can't quite support full 75 with TV. TV Did they run a second phone line? If it's still cheaper than 50 it may not be too bad.

When you log in to the modem, click Status at the top.

• Under Connection Status what are the Downstream & Upstream rates?
  • Click Line 1 status on left menu, scroll to bottom. What are the Attainable Line Rates?
  • If you have 2 phone lines, Line 2 and same as above.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Yes, there are two copper lines used. The T2000H used two bonded lines as well.

For the new T3200M:

• Under Connection Status what are the Downstream & Upstream rates?

Down: 88058Kbps, Up: 22656Kbps

• Click Line 1 status on left menu, scroll to bottom. What are the Attainable Line Rates?

Attainable Line Rate:67296 Kbps13915 Kbps

• If you have 2 phone lines, Line 2 and same as above.

Attainable Line Rate:62509 Kbps14018 Kbps

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I wonder if they remembered to change the port profile on their end when they did the upgrade. If that's the case it is a fairly easy fix. 88000kbps doesn't leave much headway for Optik. Maybe give them a shout and have them check. Normally the connections are set up so that Optik should not impact internet.

I'm on bonded (2 lines) also but my area only supports 25mbps per line so since I have Optik, my max internet speed is 25. My Connection status still has 55232/7168. One line is for internet (25mbps > speedtest: 29 down, 7 up) and one is for Optik only so internet is not impacted when TV is on.

Exhile
Ambassador

@RonAKAwrote:

Should I get a better download than 69? Any settings to check?

There's a speed test tool built into the T3200M as shown in the image below.

Capture.JPG

I'm not sure if the results will improve or not but I'd trust this method to test your Internet connection rather than using a web browser.

I tried the modem speed test with the following results. All Optik TV off first, 4 HD channels in use for the second set of results. It results in quite a significant hit due to Optik TV bandwidth use. And to confuse things a little, the test results seem a bit erratic. The first test I did gave me a 80 Mbps download with 1 HD in use?? But the significant difference between 0 and 4 HD channels sure seems to indicate some TV bandwidth consumption.

Speedc0HD.JPGSpeedc4HD.JPG

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@RonAKA - As I mentioned earlier. Contact Telus and have them check the line profile to ensure everything is set correctly. If you are legitimately able to get the full 75mbps (likely can't since single line can't do that speed), Optik should not be interfering with the internet side of things.

Just got off the phone with Telus. I told them that I can get 76 Mbps with no Optic TV on, but the internet slows down to 58 Mbps or so when the Optic TV is on. They told me that my problem was that I was turning the TV on, and that slows down the internet. Duh!!! Yes, that is just what I told them, and why I was calling them. After some discussion with me explaining that there was no slowdown with having the TV on when I had the T2200H modem and 50 Mbps service, they finally agreed to have a technician check the settings at their end. After a long wait on hold, they came back and said that all setting were correct, and in so many words, I was going to have to live with the slowdown. In their words -- "It is normal".

So, I guess I can answer my own question now about what you can get with Internet 75 on copper. You get 75 only when not having Optik TV on, and the more channels you use, the slower it gets. On the brighter side, I tested a laptop running on wireless and got the full 75 Mbps with no TV on. That is better than the T2200H and Cisco 5Mhz separate modem. I recall it was closer to 30 Mbps. 

TheWizard
Organizer

Are you testing isolated with a wired in connection? If you are testing wireless please run the test on the 5ghz instead of the 2.4ghz as the 2.4 actually has a slower max speed but stronger connectivity as longer distances than 5ghz. After that if you still aren't getting up to 75megs I'd reach out to tech support they can check on the health of your equipment and the line itself. Even if the equipment is brand new electronics can occasionally be lemons from the get go, generally Telus is awesome about replacing faulty equipment and repairs. 

I'm testing with a computer hard wired with Ethernet. I think I have just reached the max that copper will do with my line lengths and this T3200M modem. Probably going to have to wait for fiber to do better. The way I am reading the results of the tests the bonded copper line seems to have a max of 88 Mbps. With 58 Mbps left for internet with 4 HD Optik channels in use that would suggest about 7.5 Mbps is being used per HD channel. 

I don't know how this all ended up for you, but on April 11 my wife was told for only $10 more a month you can have unlimited data.  Right now you are being charged when you go over.  She said yes, and they changed something in their computer and brought the over 50M I used to get on my copper lines to 1.9.  The Fibre guys (support) is the only one who can help me and he doesn't have access to anything from before.  he has to take my word that I was getting those speeds before on Copper.  He then said my plan high speed advanced 75 includes D/L speeds of 3M.  and I was this is rediculous, even netflix advertises 5M and I have a number of devices and we were getting by with 50 until you cut us down to 1.8-1.9 and I have no idea what those guys did, but It's something to do with the sales person who changed our plan that day.

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 10.03.47 PM.png

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I suggest you contact TELUS and go over some basic trouble shooting. Chances are they will need to schedule a technician to locate and repair the issue. This is not “normal” speeds.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Making multiple posts on the same topic just scatters your description of the issue, and prevents comprehensive suggestions for correction. Please, as @Nighthawk suggested, place all your concerns in a single, preferably independent post.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"