cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up a VPN on Telus Actiontec Router

Geopac20
Organizer

I just recently started using a VPN service and while I have the ability to have 5 simultaneous connections I would much prefer anything at home to be under the umbrella of the router so all devices are using one connection. Is there a way to configure the Telus modem to do this or add another router that would do this? I am on Optik TV with Pure Fibre Internet 50. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Connect your own router to port 1 and configure anyway you wish. Most of us let the TELUS modem handle their services (optik tv) and a 3rd party router for all other traffic.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Connect your own router to port 1 and configure anyway you wish. Most of us let the TELUS modem handle their services (optik tv) and a 3rd party router for all other traffic.

vishwa
Leader

You not only need a separate router as @WestCoasterBC suggested, but also need a third party software such as DD-WRT for what you want to do.

Thanks to both of you, I am familiar with DD-WRT. Probably opening up a can of worms any recommendations on a Router to use that is a decent price?

A really good deal was the Asus RT-AC2900(AC86U) just a few days ago at Staples for $150.  Since you are familiar with DD-WRT, you probably also know about Merlin firmware for Asus routers.  Then you have a lot of control and that router is 1.8GHz dual core.  You will be good for a long time.  Not sure if that sale is still on at staples.  Other than that you can go with the trusty Netgear R7000(load DD-WRT) or Asus AC68U(choice of DD-WRT or Merlin) and many others.