cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google WiFi drops tv signal

Kev12345
Organizer
Switched the slow Telus router and range extender out for fast Google Mesh WiFi. Now my tv signal drops out. How do I fix this?
9 REPLIES 9

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

More information is needed.

1. Are you on fibre optic internet?
  2. Are you using any Telus Actiontec device currently? If yes, which one? (If no, that'll likely be the cause of your TV issues)
  3. How do you have things connected? What router are you using?
  4. Are your TV boxes wired or wireless?

Normal mesh wifi setup would be: Telus Actiontec gateway > Google Wifi on port 1 of Actiontec gateway. Optik TV and range extender (if used for wireless TV box) on the remaining ports on the Actiontec. If you're on fibre, there's one other possible setup but a gigabit switch would be required.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks for the reply.

1 - Yes I have fiber. Enters into my smart panel where the fiber to Ethernet converter is located (Alcatel-lucent)
2 - no, I removed the router (T3200M). The Alcatel used to be plugged directly into the T3200M. I replaced this with google WiFi.
3 - my house is all wired with Ethernet ports that all come into the smart panel. Google WiFi router.
4 - wired tv boxes

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There's your problem. Google Wifi is not currently compatible or capable of handling multicast data (what IPTV uses). The Actiontec is configured specifically for multicast TV traffic. Users have been asking Google to add that feature for some time now but Google hasn't done it yet.

My working configuration in my smart panel is T3200M > my own router on port 1 (then to all my personal devices from it hardwired and wireless). Port 2+ are all hardwired for my Optik boxes. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

That’s a bummer google wifi can’t handle multicast data. I plugged the Telus router back in and the tv works. Unfortunately now I can’t have the google wifi mesh network connected via wired connection as those outlets are taken by Telus boxes. Just another reason to dump optik tv!

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Google Wifi is not alone as multicast data is not supported on a fair number of routers out there. Were you just using Google Mesh as an option to extend wifi? Ever consider putting an ethernet switch behind one of the TV boxes and plugging in the Google Wifi there if you just need better wifi coverage? I have ethernet switches behind both of my TV boxes. Telus also has a mesh wifi solution where you get two modules for a lower cost than just one Google Wifi device.

Apparently multicast is now supported by google WiFi? I’ll have to figure out how to get it configured i guess...

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/9034995?hl=en&ref_topic=6246512

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Good to know. It would have been nice if Google released the config instructions for it. Nothing shows in the Google Wifi app?

I use the Actiontec for Optik and a Netgear Orbi for my wi-fi and it works great, so you can still use your google mesh system for wi-fi and keep the Actiontec, I have had zero issues and been using it for over a year.

Has anyone figured out how to enable multicast traffic on Google WiFi? I would love remove the Actiontec and just use the Google WiFi Mesh with my TELUS Pure Fibre TV service.