cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False Advertising? Telus Pure Fibre 1.5Gbps

BitwiseOp
Friendly Neighbour

Dear all,

I just wanted to let you know about a recent experience with Telus. I recently purchased a service from Telus that was advertised as having a speed of 1.5Gbps.

However, upon receiving my customer equipment, I discovered that the data ports could only have a maximum speed of 1Gbe.

It is possible that Telus may violate Canadian laws on false advertising if they have advertised a speed of 1.5Gbps but provided equipment that is only capable of a maximum speed of 1Gbe.

If you have also experienced similar issues with Telus or any other company, you have the right to file a complaint with the Competition Bureau.

It is important for consumers to be aware of their rights and to speak up when they believe they have been misled by false advertising.

Sincerely,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Not a Smart Hub. That's cellular. The Wifi Hub is the white cylinder I posted before. It does have a SFP port on it. The NH20A also does but it is underneath the cover.

Video about the NH20A install: https://youtu.be/s5BFIUF7SQw?t=64

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

buckycat
Leader

If you are on a contract you have 30 days to cancel, if month to month you are free to go elsewhere at any time.

BitwiseOp
Friendly Neighbour

I'm aware of those options.

What I want is the service I've paid for.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus used to have listed on the fine print for that plan that the 1.5gbps was possible through more than one device connected at the same time. Like if you had two devices that together were capable of a combined 1.5gbps.

That speed is possible on a single device but you'd need to have a NH20A gateway instead of the Wifi Hub or T3200. The NH20A is the only device with one port that is 10gbps and the rest are gigabit. Which gateway do you have installed?

NH20A (white square)T3200Wifi Hub
a22bf727-cba2-4624-a065-859b78a4bdc1.pngt3200m.pngWiFi_Hub.png

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

BitwiseOp
Friendly Neighbour

Hi NightHawk, 

Yes, coming into the agreement, I was aware of the fine print, my LAN capacity and all of the intricacies of networking; I've worked in IT for 14 years and have been a hobbyist since dial-up.

I'm frustrated because I asked the installation tech to ensure that multiple aggregate LAN devices could achieve 1.5Gbps, which he reassured me was possible.

Upon testing multiple aggregate devices via speedtest.net, I could never break the 1Gbps barrier in aggregate.

I had numerous desktops and Macbooks running speed tests at the same time.

Instantly I knew there was a bottleneck on the Telus side; I just had to find where it was.

My backstory is that I just moved into a place with an existing Telus Pure Fibre; I wanted to be the new kid on the block with the fattest pipe.

The home I'm in already had a pre-existing FTH modem, the Nokia ONT G-240G-A, the tech did not provide a new FTH modem, and when I called customer service, they said this was the only FTH modem they offered.

G-240G-A spec sheet:

• Compliant with ITU-T G.984, supports a line rate of 2.5 Gb/s downstream and 1.25 Gb/s upstream
  • With GPON as the up-link interface, supports standard triple play services: voice, video, and high-speed Internet access to support home networking

Services Data

The G-240G-A ONT supports up to four 10/100/1000 Base-T Gigabit Ethernet data interfaces:

Source: Link 

After reading this, I called customer service to get an answer as to how to resolve the bottleneck; I was thinking, "oh, I'm sure they just need to upgrade the FTH modem, or at the very least, they have some ability to aggregate the data ports".

After explaining to "April" that you can't exceed the capacity of a 1Gbe data port, I continuously humoured her troubleshooting script until she finally agreed to schedule a tech to do an on-site.

So my overall question is. How are customers achieving 1.5Gbps in aggregate when the Nokia is limited to a single 1Gbe data port?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yeah, the Nokia ONT can't provide 1.5 off of the single RJ45 port and only one port is ever active on that device. Telus basically has to have it swapped out for either the Wifi Hub or the NH20A. If a tech is coming out, talk to them.

The Wifi hub, while it does have four gigabit ports, can support 1.5gbps fibre coming in and the aggregate speed of 1.5. The NH20A is what Telus uses for the 1.5 and more specifically the 2.5gbps plan. It also does not have wifi built in so one of the LAN ports would have to connect to either a Telus Boost, or wifi AP of your own. If you have Optik TV with the wireless boxes, you'd need to talk to the tech that comes out as they won't work with third party APs. The Nokia ONT is the only non router device Telus offers.

BitwiseOp
Friendly Neighbour

@Nighthawk wrote:

Telus basically has to have it swapped out for either the Wifi Hub or the NH20A. If a tech is coming out, talk to them.

The SmartHub doesn't have a fibre port, and unless it's hidden somewhere on the NH20A.. I'm not sure how this swap is supposed to work.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Not a Smart Hub. That's cellular. The Wifi Hub is the white cylinder I posted before. It does have a SFP port on it. The NH20A also does but it is underneath the cover.

Video about the NH20A install: https://youtu.be/s5BFIUF7SQw?t=64

BitwiseOp
Friendly Neighbour

Amazing!

Finally, something makes sense, Nighthawk; you're a real one, thanks homie.

@buckycat Pay attention here.

BitwiseOp
Friendly Neighbour

This begs the question: Why didn't the installation tech patch me into the NH20A directly?

They should try these guys to avoid cutting corners or at least understand primary hardware constraints.

BitwiseOp
Friendly Neighbour

@Nighthawk 

I double-checked, and it turns out I have the TCH FXA5000, not the NHA20A.

So unless the FXA5000 has an SFP port, the tech must come here with an NHA20A?

He'll be here tomorrow so I guess I'll find out.

BitwiseOp
Friendly Neighbour

I got the FXA5000 patched in with an SFP interface, which has much better aggregate speeds 🙂

1.6Gbps down, 1Gbps up!

nn