cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Telus terminate plumbed Network cables

RandomCasualty
Just Moved In

I'm moving across the country to a rental home that is PureFibre ready (so haven't actually been able to sniff around the house). The landlord mentioned that the cabling is "roughed in". I'll assume this means cabling is done and follows the coax path (lived in a home where I found cat 5 ends behind coax plates previously). So the question is, if there is indeed cable run through the home, will Telus terminate the device ends and take care at the patch panel end? As the home is only 4 years old I again assume the "gateway" for wiring will be in the same location. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chicnstu
Leader

From what you're describing it sounds like the Fibre drop has been brought in from outside but it was not terminated as the previous resident had Shaw services. A Telus install tech will terminate the Fibre drop and connect it to the ONT/Gateway. From there they can use the cat5 lines in the walls and terminate the jacks that will be used for your equipment. If these are being used for Optik TV boxes there generally is no charge for them to terminate those lines and replace the jack plates but if you are only getting Internet and want more than one line terminated they will bill you on a per-jack basis. I believe the current rate is $75 per jack.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
If you talk nicely to the tech they will generally terminate the ends. Although they’re not responsible to make your networking work.

You can go one step further and purchase the wall plates and cat5e insert jacks. To have ready for the installer.

Thanks, yeah was going to make sure a fresh pot of coffee and munchies were available!

Chicnstu
Leader

From what you're describing it sounds like the Fibre drop has been brought in from outside but it was not terminated as the previous resident had Shaw services. A Telus install tech will terminate the Fibre drop and connect it to the ONT/Gateway. From there they can use the cat5 lines in the walls and terminate the jacks that will be used for your equipment. If these are being used for Optik TV boxes there generally is no charge for them to terminate those lines and replace the jack plates but if you are only getting Internet and want more than one line terminated they will bill you on a per-jack basis. I believe the current rate is $75 per jack.