cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable band steering on Arcadyan Fibre AC Gateway (TELUS Wi-Fi Hub)

Tornado15550
Organizer

Hey guys,

I have some 2.4Ghz-only wireless devices that I'd like to connect to the Arcadyan Fibre AC Gateway, but I'd like all my other devices to connect to the 5 Ghz frequency exclusively. Is there any way to split the wifi into separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs like the T3200M? This way I can connect the legacy devices to the 2.4Ghz channel, and all the other devices can connect to the 5Ghz channel. If that's not possible, is there any way to move/force the devices to different frequencies (say via MAC address) in the gateway GUI?

I ask this because while some of my devices have a "prefer 5Ghz networks" toggle, most of them don't and they end up connecting to the 2.4Ghz frequency by default due to the increased signal strength which results in slower throughput.

16 REPLIES 16

sector7g
Just Moved In

Did you ever solve this? I need to do the same thing.

HomeFiWi
Just Moved In

I'm having the same problem with the new "Telus Wi-Fi Hub" and connecting older 2.4GHz legacy devices.

There doesn't seem to be any way to disable Smart Steering (I think it's called) or any way to send out a separate 2.4GHz Wi-Fi dedicated radio on this router.  I checked to modem/router administrative menus and it isn't available.

Can we possibly connect an older Wi-Fi router to one of the rear RJ-45 LAN ports on the back of the Telus Wi-Fi Hub and broadcast a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi signal that way (with a different name)?

I can't get several devices to work connect to this tri-band HUB including a V1 Chromecast, a weather station, etc.  Their sites seem to say to get my router to broadcast a separate 2.4 GHz-only signal and that seems impossible with the current firmware of this Telus Wi-Fi Hub.  (One step forward in technology, two steps back.)

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@HomeFiWi wrote:

Can we possibly connect an older Wi-Fi router to one of the rear RJ-45 LAN ports on the back of the Telus Wi-Fi Hub and broadcast a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi signal that way (with a different name)?

Yes, you can do this, without difficulty, if you wish. Unfortunately, the ability to do this with Telus' Boost Mesh Network devices was lost with the upgrade to the new Arcadian (sp?) device.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

What was this Arcadian device that you upgraded to? I was told that Telus Wifi Hub was the newest modem. I am also having trouble with this and would love to find out more information as this Hub is severely limited in its user settings.

Wait, sorry, I read your post wrong. My concern, other than the 2.4ghz issue, that I have, is also there doesn't seem to be any ability to do router bridging on this unit.

streetsmart
Just Moved In

i figured out a possible way,  you can disable 5G on the main SSID and use that for 2.4G devices access, and use guest SSID for all other devices.   Noted that  Guest SSID will always have both 2.4 and 5G on

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Strikes me that while that may allow all your devices to reach the internet, it would prevent them talking to one another on your network.

NFtoBC

adrockwe
Helpful Neighbour

Did anyone ever find a solution to this?

ShawSpy
Organizer
Have you been able to figure out how to disable Telus Wifi Hub band steering? It’s annoying, some of my smart devices crash because the signals can’t be separated

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There appears no way to disable Band Steering on the Wi-Fi Hub. You can disable any of the 3 radios, but that is likely not what you want. The most straightforward way to achieve this might be to purchase an inexpensive modem you can use as a 2.4 GHz Access Point, and add that to the mix for those devices giving trouble.

NFtoBC

MikeOxmaul
Neighbour

My solution to providing a dedicated 2.4 GHZ wifi signal for ALL my smart devices was to use a WIFI extender in wired mode.  It should also be said that that Ive adopted the Arcadyan device as my primary AC router as the the bridge mode of the unit does not seem to work properly.  I just ran switches down line to all my wired devices. Basically I have two RJ45s coming out of the Arcadyan device.  One to the switch chain and the other to the wifi extender.

Which wifi extender did you use? I was thinking about trying this, but was worried that the extender wouldn’t split the network out into two names.

I use the Linksys RE9000 but I expect any dual band extender setup in wired mode should work just fine. The extender just creates a new wireless network in both 2.4 and 5 ghz..  Works perfect for me.

EdmUser
Friendly Neighbour

When you say that 'the bridge mode of the unit does not seem to work properly' on the Arcadyan does not work properly, what do you mean?  I was thinking of trying this.

I understand I'll have to hard wire my Optik boxes to the Arcadyan but after that I was assuming bridging to a better mesh network's hardware would work just fine.

What did you learn?

I found that the bridge mode from the Arcadyan to my router was problematic by way of high pings and lower speeds.  Also initially the router really struggled holding an IP.  At least in my case.  Also the bridge mode is set at consumer level in the Arcadyan GUI and would likely reset with firmware pushes from Telus.  All this being said I may end up trying a media extender like the TP-Link MC220L in place of the Arcadyan eventually.  I miss the functionality of the router vs the Arcadyan. 

I do think that with some time and effort it is better eliminate the Arcadyan one way or another...  In my case I'm seeing very low pings particularly on the PS4 hardwired directly to the Arcadyan.  So ill stick with that for a while.

Cheers

EdmUser
Friendly Neighbour

Could you put the Arcadyan downstream of a TP-Link MC220L so you can run optic tvs off it still?