cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP not releasing IPv4 addresses

epikish
Neighbour

This has been happening every week recently where my router's DHCP will stop releasing IPv4 addresses. The only way to fix this is by restarting my router, but the same thing will happen again about a week later. I receive an IPv6 address from the router only, but that does not allow me to access many websites. For some reason, I can still access Google, Facebook and Youtube. But I lose access to all other sites whenever this happens. This also happens to multiple devices in my house hold. Can anyone help me out?

Steps I have tried: 

- Reseting the router 

- Restarting the router 

- ipconfig /release and /renew

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Can you provide more information?

1. Which model of router do you have? Is it one you received from Telus or your own?
  2. Are you using DSL or fibre?
  3. Is the IPv4 address that keeps releasing the one your computer has, or the one the "router" has?
  4. If it's affecting only the devices in your home and not the router's IP, do they all lose their IPs at once or at different times?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

• I'm using the router provided by Telus, Actiontec T3200M
  • DSL
  • I don't understand this question. The router's IP address is defaulted to 192.168.1.254, but whenever this issue happens I can't access the router's webpage even though I can ping to the router.
  • This seems to be affecting all devices at home using DHCP. It doesn't happen all at the same time, but within hours of each other.  My TV boxes have static addresses and they are not affected. 

This user is also having the same issue as me. 

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-TV-Home-Phone/Intermittent-internet-connection-problems/td-p/906...

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The issue you describe and the issue that user describes do not sound the same unless you left out some details.

The third question I asked has to do with the IP addresses your devices have and if they are losing them, not the T3200's local IP address. The other part was the T3200's outside address which if it lost would be something between Telus and the T3200. If it's just within your house and it does not affect all devices right away, the problem is in you home. 

The static IPs you set for the TV boxes, are they in the lower range that the T3200 would be handing out to your devices through DHCP? (1.64 - 1.100)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂