CyberTAN devices

joewilliamsca
Neighbour

Hi All,

I have Telus Optik TV  (4K x 4 boxes) and I have Telus Fibre using 4 Telus Boost WiFi antennas (which rocks by the way).

I have been using the My WiFi app on my iPhone,  and it all works great.

I do have a question on two 'mystery devices' that appear to be attached to my network.   What is interesting is that my router is using 192.168.1.* as the subnet for all my devices,  and I am only using the 5G in the modem for the Optik TV, which is using the standard SID and password that's defaulted on the router.  My Boost WiFI is using a custom SID and password for all other wifi devices in my household.

I have been able to identify and name all the devices (including the Optik TV devices)  and the only question I have,  is that I have two devices 'detected' on my network that are identified as devices by CyberTAN Technologies.  The IP address assigned 169.254.0.26,  and it's hooked up to Band5G_Guest3 network.   I have disabled 'Guest' on the router and WiFi boosts,  so Im puzzled why I am seeing these two devices appear in the "My WiFi"  app,  unless something is being picked up on the WAN side of the router (which I doubt)

Im curious if other people see these mystery devices on their networks with the same configuration I have,  or if they are something to do on the TELUS side that I should ignore. 

IMG_0033.png

Community Power User
Community Power User

CyberTAN is a manufacturer of a few different classes of devices or components for various devices, mainly networking. The brand name you see on the outside will likely be different. A 169 IP address basically means whatever the device is, that it has no internet connection.

They make:

Fixed broadband products
- Broadband/DSL routers, Cable Gateways, WiFi AP Bridge
Mobile broadband products
- 4G/LTE Router, Satellite Router
Voice over IP products
- Wired/Wireless VoIP gateways, ADSL 2/2+ IAD, VDSL2 IAD
Wireless/SiP Products
-- Wireless embeded modules, SiP modules, IoT modules
Digital home products
- DTA/IP/Cable/Satellite Set-Top-Box, IoT gateways

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
joewilliamsca
Neighbour

Thanks for the explanation Nighthawk,  they looked like a provider of networking hardware (from my google search)  but I don't understand why these devices are being picked up by the Telus My Wi-Fi app.  If they didn't have access to the internet,  the Wi-Fi app shouldn't have picked them up and showing a SID that I don't recognize.

Just wanted to see if others with a similar setup are seeing the same types of devices,   since this might be an internal TELUS configuration that the app is reporting.

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

I don't see it on mine here so there's likely some type of hardware that's tried connecting at one point that you may be overlooking. One post I saw for CyberTAN devices mentioned it may also be a home alarm system (if you have a wifi enabled model). If whatever the device is, is misconfigured and isn't set to grab an IP automatically, that could be why it's showing a connection and an invalid IP.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Highlighted
joewilliamsca
Neighbour
We do have an alarm system and it’s all cellular ( no wifi). What i did was pause the internet to these devices, so the underlying MAC addresses are blocked on the network, and everything still works as normal, so I will leave them paused. Thanks for your help