cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom DNS entries ok on the T3200M?

YYCGuy
Organizer

I'd like to change the T3200M's default DNS to see if that noticeably improves internet performance. But before I proceed, I'm confused about something. Here's the situation:

On the router, I see two DNS entries:

75.153.176.1 (Primary DNS)

75.153.171.114 (Secondary DNS)

Yet when I use ipconfig on the Windows command prompt, I see one same and one different entry:

192.168.1.254 (which is my default gateway?!)

75.153.171.114 (matches the "Secondary DNS" entry on the router)

Originally, I wanted to just find two suitable DNS servers and update the router with those. But the whole "default gateway" thing has me confused and nervous about updating anything. Probably just a red herring, but can anyone clarify?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

192.168.1.254 is your T3200. That's normal to see when your computer is set to obtain DNS automatically. You could always try changing one computer to see if there is any notable difference. From my experience, there isn't much of a difference though Cloudflare has been decent.

Google DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Cloudflare DNS (new, more secure, also supports IPv6😞 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Worst case, you can switch it back!

Remember, currently the DNS entries are assigned by Telus DHCP server, so you also need to ensure the automatic assignment of the DNS entry is turned off.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

192.168.1.254 is your T3200. That's normal to see when your computer is set to obtain DNS automatically. You could always try changing one computer to see if there is any notable difference. From my experience, there isn't much of a difference though Cloudflare has been decent.

Google DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Cloudflare DNS (new, more secure, also supports IPv6😞 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Gothcha. I'll just go ahead and populate both available DNS fields on the router like I was thinking of in the first place. Thanks much!

And in an attempt to give back, people reading this may want to check out https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm.

It's basically a little (165KB) portable app will create your own customized list of optimal DNS for your router. 

@Nighthawk you fixed the problems I was having with my Xbox One.  When wired, it would drop connection every night, and only a modem reboot would fix the problem.  Entering the DNS for Cloudflare has given me 1 day with no drops, and that was after the Xbox had been inactive for about 15 hours.  If this continues, I want to shake your hand.