cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing DNS address

Phil10
Organizer

Hello,

Where do I make the change for the DNS address in my router? I see an option to change it in the LAN and WAN IP settings under the advanced tab. My router is a T3200M. What is the difference between the two options?

Thanks kindly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You'll want to change the WAN IP ones. 

Under Advanced > WAN IP Settings: Under "4. Select the DNS type.", choose the Static DNS Address radio button and enter the IP addresses of the servers you want to use.

Next, click on IPv6 WAN Settings on the left menu. Again under #4, choose Custom Servers and enter the IP addresses of the servers you want to use.

A recommendation for free secure DNS: Try https://1.1.1.1/

• For IPv4: 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
  • For IPv6: 2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001

Remember to restart your browser after changing DNS settings. Rebooting your computers and devices isn't a bad idea either.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You'll want to change the WAN IP ones. 

Under Advanced > WAN IP Settings: Under "4. Select the DNS type.", choose the Static DNS Address radio button and enter the IP addresses of the servers you want to use.

Next, click on IPv6 WAN Settings on the left menu. Again under #4, choose Custom Servers and enter the IP addresses of the servers you want to use.

A recommendation for free secure DNS: Try https://1.1.1.1/

• For IPv4: 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
  • For IPv6: 2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001

Remember to restart your browser after changing DNS settings. Rebooting your computers and devices isn't a bad idea either.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

xray
Hero
May I ask why you want to change the DNS? Are you having issues with the default TELUS DNS?

Just tinkering around Smiley Happy

You can tinker by changing the DNS on your device as well. You don't have to do it at the router.

Yeah I changed the DNS on my PC first. It was maybe a hair faster than telus DNS. Was just curious where to change on the router to apply to all devices.