cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Certain services likely blocked with the new Telus Wifi Hub(How to port foward)

Carson147
Friendly Neighbour
Hello, my newly installed fibre system using the tells wifi hub works fine except in some game services, I think some ports or other components are being blocked. I contacted telus customer services, they said that the modem is so new they don't have a clue as to what they are blocking. Then I contacted the game service providers, they gave me a bunch for port numbers but I'm pretty sure I didn't do it right(as the service still behaves like it is blocked). Is anyone else having the same issue or know how to port forwarding on this model? (There are no model number it seems like, it's simply labeled telus wifi hub)
8 REPLIES 8

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You will need to provide at least some specific details on the problem for anyone to be able to offer any suggestions. So far I've never had to set up custom port forwarding for any game I play.

What game(s)?

What in-game services?

Which platform? (PC, Xbone, PS4, other)

What is the exact error message?

What is the exact brand / model of gateway/router/wifi device you are trying to configure? There isn't a device I know of named "Telus Wifi Hub". If you can't find the model, post a photo of it. If you're on fibre, you should have been given the T3200M gateway that looks like:

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Carson147
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks very much for the reply.
I am trying to access grand theft auto online's services on the PC. Error messages included failing to join sessions, and just general freezing of the screen when in game. As for the model of modem, the tells agent I contacted had the exact same reaction, it's just so new that they don't know about it. I will leave a link for the image of it.

http://imgur.com/gallery/mgeK97A

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Interesting. I've never seen that device before... I didn't have to port forward GTA on my T3200M and it worked. Not sure exactly what difference in wireless or routing functionality there is between the T3200M and the device you have...

@dru can you shed some light on the new hardware since I cannot locate any details on Telus' website? Is it a replacement for the Actiontec?

B3Cg0gz

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Carson147
Friendly Neighbour
Also to note that I bypassed the issue with a VPN, but that's only a temporary solution. I will ask the person who installed my service a few days ago tomorrow to get more info, see if any ports are blocked or anything at all that's blocked.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The wifi hardware won't have blocked ports. The external network will but only very few specific ones and those should not affect gaming in general. If a VPN is allowing it to work, then it's likely not a port forwarding issue.

The short list of blocked ports for incoming connections (ie if you're trying to run a server):

TCP 21 (ftp)

TCP 25 (smtp)

TCP 80 (www)

TCP 110 (pop3)

TCP 6667 (ircd)

TCP/UDP 135-139 (dcom and netbios)

TCP/UDP 443 (ssl)

TCP/UDP 445 (ms-ds)

TCP/UDP 1433-1434 (ms-sql)

GTA:V on PC typically uses ports: (UDP) 6672,61455-61458 which won't be blocked.

Carson147
Friendly Neighbour
The rockstar service said that they might also use TCP80 and 443, so I think that's where the problem is coming from.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

For outgoing connections most likely and those will work fine. Port 80 is commonly used for web browsers. 443 is for secure connections. Those ports won't be an issue unless you're trying to run a server of some kind.

Carson147
Friendly Neighbour
I also used my mobile data tonight just to test out, turns out it's even more stable compared to VPN and connection maintained for an hour before I logged out properly. Unfortunately my installation guy never replied to me after he said he was gonna go ask around as to how to do port forwarding on my model.